shedding box
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  11:51:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My corn snake tends to have a little trouble shedding so i have got him a shedding box. Is it advisable to keep the box in the viv all the time or just when hes going to shed? Would it be harmful if i left it in and he stayed in it for long periods of time?

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  11:56:19  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've got a tub in Sid's viv that has some moss and orchid bark in. When he's shedding I moisten it and when he's not I just leave it dry. He likes to use it as an extra hide so I don't remove it. From what I've read it can cause problems(RI)if the viv is too damp over a long period.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  12:01:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Belinda. When you say a shedding box, do you mean a damp hide? You can keep one in his viv all the time as long as the moss isnt damp, otherwise it will raise the humidity and you will have a problem with respiratory infections. You can then dampen the moss when he is going to shed.

If you are going to add in the damp hide once he has turned blue then only do so once his eyes have cleared. In a wooden viv you can put the moss in the warm hide but in a faunarium you would need to put it in both hides to help him loosen his skin.

Other ways to help him out next time he sheds....once you see him go 'blue' you can add an extra water bowl into his viv on top of the heat mat. Dont just move the original water bowl as your snake will not want to be drinking warm water. This will help raise the humidity, but will only work in wooden vivs. In faunariums there is too much ventilation so the extra humidity is lost.

I also mist my snakes' vivs once a day in the morning, nothing more than that as you dont want to cause the humidity to rise too much as this can cause respiratory infections.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  12:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How often does the moss need to be changed?
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  12:12:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont use moss myself Belinda, so cant answer that question. Do you mean if you leave it in the viv all the time? Try doing a search on Sphagnum moss (search button top right hand corner) and see if you can find some more info about it. I am sure you will be inundated with hits, but hopefully you will find some useful info.

This topic may help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9899

I know you have a shedding box....is it anything like this one - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3699

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  12:21:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah, it is like that one but bigger as my corn snake is over 5 foot. lol
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: