Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  13:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although ive got my next baby corn on order, i am considering a King Snake in the near future.

I will obviously do my research.

But as far as im aware they are similar to care for to a corn snake?

I have read that they require a night time drop and higher humidity? Is this correct?

And what sort of temps do they need?

Thanks

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  13:52:31  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ooooo there's a lovely looking one on the RSPCA website I sent you!!! I deal when you've done your research.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  13:53:52  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
* Ideal....sorry

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  13:55:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeh i saw that one, it was lovely! Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  15:15:43  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't give my kings a drop in night temps, neither do they have a higher humidity.

I have my mats set to run about 2c higher temps than the corns.
And so you should get a king, they've got great personalities. Have a browse of our sister forum: www.thekingsnake.co.uk for more info, plus google is your friend.
ANy other questions then just ask, there's a lot of kingsnake owners on here as well.

/edit
What rspca site??

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 01/06/2010 15:16:11
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  15:35:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Kehhlyr, no need for a night time drop or extra humidity. They can be kept alomost exactly the same as you would keep a corn.

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  15:39:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks alot for the replies.

I think im gonna be getting one later on this year :-)

Kehhlyr - www.rspcareptilerescue.co.uk

Its a reptile rescue centre, theyve got a few snakes on there after new homes, im also thinking about rehoming an adult corn soon.

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  16:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my king is possibly my favourite in terms of character - hes always burrowing about and poking his face up to the glass and im sure he chases his reflection sometimes..
GET ONE!!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  16:58:16  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Your so lucky being able to get all these reptiles :o I would love a King (even know what colours I would like >.<) but I have no room an I'm kind of scared that it would always try and bite me after reading all these stories abut Kings biting for no real reason O.o; or because they think everything is food.

Post pictures if you ever get one :D

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  18:09:08  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Your so lucky being able to get all these reptiles :o I would love a King (even know what colours I would like >.<) but I have no room an I'm kind of scared that it would always try and bite me after reading all these stories abut Kings biting for no real reason O.o; or because they think everything is food.

As with all snakes, you only hear more of the worst stories.
Kings are brilliant nosy little snakes. It's true they can be a bit more feisty sometimes, but they have to live up to their name.
In fact the only time I've ever been bitten by my kings is either through stupidity on my part (mouse smelling fingers) or something else just as silly.
They've never bitten just because they can, I reckon I've had the smae amount of bites from the kings as I have the corns.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  22:07:58  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
kings are cool, i'd love a cali or a durango but I've run out of room! :(

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  22:44:39  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You got children Eeji??

If so just remember there is such a thing as boarding school........

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  22:54:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i wanted a cali king when we adopted houdi. i wanted a cali king when i fell in love with tiggs. i want a cali king...... some day :D
i was in the rep shop in dublin he took out a little cali king for me such a lovely temperment and oh so very cute. maybe santa might bring me one :D

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  23:02:17  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Funnily enough I have just been on the kingsnake caresheet tonight and been looking at the pics. I am so very tempted. Mind you there are some other morphs of corns i like and I would like a hognose.

Hmmmm boarding school you say kehhlyr ;)

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  00:39:25  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My very first snake was a Cali King, but I gave it to a friend becaue it bit me, BUT this was about 19/20 years ago and I did no research, so it was my own fault.

Then when I first researched getting a snake again last year, the aggression rumors put me off and I ended up with my Corn. BUT, went in the local and spotted a beautiful MBK, and I WANT IT!!!!!! Elijah will be upgrading to his new home in July/August so that leaves a faun spare . MBK are supposed to be a little more chilled than Calli and other name species of Kings.

I really aught to become a member of TKS.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  01:38:26  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't actually think there's any difference in each breed of King to be honest.
My MBK was a damaged one that I bought rescued at the Pompey show last year, and he's been a lovely lad.
My Cali King was a 14 year old man when I got him last year and was fairly aggressive with the person that rescued him at the start, but chilled right down with regular and nice handling within a matter of a few weeks, then I got him and he's stayed chilled.

The little hatchy king is still occasionally threatening to musk and doing the odd tail rattle when she gets picked up, but she's still only a wee lass.

Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  08:38:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replys and the info folks.

I think its decided, i will have a King before this year is out.

Is there a size difference between morphs? If so which of the Kings get the largest?

Thanks

Gaz

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  10:19:32  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:

As with all snakes, you only hear more of the worst stories.
Kings are brilliant nosy little snakes. It's true they can be a bit more feisty sometimes, but they have to live up to their name.
In fact the only time I've ever been bitten by my kings is either through stupidity on my part (mouse smelling fingers) or something else just as silly.
They've never bitten just because they can, I reckon I've had the smae amount of bites from the kings as I have the corns.

That's good then. Are the bites simiualr to corns? I know when I've been bitten by mine it didn;t bleed much but some of the bite marks I've seen from kings look quite bad, bt maybe they were squeezng out lots of blood before they took the picture XD

I think they grow to similar size as corns so about 4/5 foot with some reaching 6 I would guess.

Are milksnake's kingsnakes?

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  18:51:11  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The bites are nearly the same as with corns. If you have a king that's in a proper mood, then it might grip on for a bit longer which is why it looks as if there's loads of blood sometimes because when water is used it dilutes the blood making it look as if there's much more.

To be honest I'd rather be bitten by any of my kings rather than my snow corn.
The kings are like little worms in comparison to him, they're little things and he's a bit of a porky chap and is incredibly strong.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  19:23:13  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Do they musk a lot as well? I have to say the only things I have ever really read about Kings are bad and that all they seem to do is bite and musk. Although I would have thought that would if you handled it? Haha yeh I know some corn bites can be quite bad, Char decided that she was going to eat my thumb/hand one day and constrict it and was there for 10 minutes trying to eat my hand :/
You need to post pictures of your King's Kehhlyr. I always imaged them to be longer than corns, I think it's the neck.

Gaz, I just looked at caresheets as I was curious myself, they all really do seems to differ in length by quite a lot which I never would have though. I always thought milks were the smaller ones but by looking at caresheets apprently not o.o;

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  20:02:02  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

You got children Eeji??

If so just remember there is such a thing as boarding school........

4 of the 'little darlings' :) ...maybe its a burm I need...........

quote:

Are milksnake's kingsnakes?

milks are in the same genus as kings, so they're very closely related.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000