Incubator Help / Idea
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  16:19:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you probably know my amel corn May is gravid (I think). So I started to prepare an incubator out of what I could get my hands on. I couldn't get a poly box, although I may be able to get one next week, so I thought id try to improvise for the time being.

So I have a plastic box with a heatmat underneath and the bottom of it filled with about half an inch of water. The thermometer inside is showing the temperature around 27-29 degrees C and there is condensation forming all over the sides and top of the box which I hope will provide the required humidity (I don't have a hydrometer though so can't check this).

Anyone offer an opinion on whether or not you think this will work if I can't get a poly box and such in time. As long as it retains the heat it is doing I don't see any reason why it shouldn't?

Thanks

2.0 Normal Corn "Monty" "Charlie"
0.1 Amel Corn "May"
1.0 Western Hognose "Gerard"

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  17:26:47  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
um, are the eggs in the water?? can you post some pics on here showing us the set up, and then we can make better comments!!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  17:31:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eggs haven't been laid yet. Just trying to get ready.

The eggs will be in vermiculite in a box above the water.

Gimme 5 mins and will get some pics

0.1 Amel Corn "May"
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  17:41:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Inside, I know these types of thermometer are frowned upon by some people but theyve always worked fairly well for me and its all I have currently.

Outside, the blurriness is the condensation on the sides of the box. If you can see the small box inside, that is what the box containing the eggs and vermiculite will go on eventually. To keep it off the direct heat of the mat.

0.1 Amel Corn "May"
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  18:23:32  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've successfully used a fish-tank to incubate, by floating a vermi filled tupperware in it.
Providing the heat gets to the poly box where the eggs are at the right temps then by rights it should work. However, don't take that as gospel.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  19:03:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only thing you might find is that the box doesnt hold heat very well, the temps may fluctuate quite a lot.
As long as you keep the thermostat probe either in with the eggs, or very close to them, you shouldnt have too much of a problem.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  22:44:54  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if you get your vermiculite the right consistency with little to no ventilation in the egg box then you shouldn't need the water inside the incubator. Get hold of a digital hygrometer and give it a try :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

52 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  18:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am using a rub at the moment, i have my heat mat attached inside the lid with the probe inside the box and use vermiculite in cricket tubs for my eggs and have had a great 100% success rate, I have snow eggs in mine at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  23:13:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having the heatmat on the lid is not ideal, heat rises so the heatmat has to work much harder to heat the space, having the heat mat on the base will allow a much more even spread of heat, and also it wont work so hard so will be cheaper to run!

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  23:36:44  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hows it all going??

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

120 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  08:46:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stable at 28 C

0.1 Amel Corn "May"
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2010 :  09:05:00  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
fab!! :D

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly