New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  18:47:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what size do you get? i am guna get one for my new snake to have in the tank but don't know what size to get, small, medium or large

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  21:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go for a large then you don't need to upgrade later on.

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  23:49:47  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good theory, but also take into account that a snake feels more comfortable in a hide where when it is coiled up, it likes to be able to feel the sides, or so I have read.
I have a medium one for mine but then it wasn't intended for my Corn.
If I go by the above theory, then I will be buyinga large one when Elijah reaches 30+", maybe a little more.

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  03:15:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I certainly agree with Mick, corns do feel safer somewhere they can curl up tight and feel the sides of their hide around them.

Silvesta is 3'5" and fits in a medium exo terra cave....although I think I may need to think about upgrading him now. I wonder how you tell when a snake's hide has got too small....do they just stop using it?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  06:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I originally had a medium for my hatchlings ( when they were housed together the are in seperate vivs now) in march i got a large one it was more for the size of the hole i felt that it was looking abit neet my snake is 3 n half foot long, she spend most of her time in it, I put the old one in for my king snake its about 1 half feet it loves it too

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  22:27:37  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

I certainly agree with Mick, corns do feel safer somewhere they can curl up tight and feel the sides of their hide around them.

Silvesta is 3'5" and fits in a medium exo terra cave....although I think I may need to think about upgrading him now. I wonder how you tell when a snake's hide has got too small....do they just stop using it?

xxx

They still use it... there head or tail is normally poking out :/ what ever is exposed sometimes they try and bury.

I have a large one that I use for a 3ft8 snake. It depends on how big the new snake is. You could always get the large, and use the lid as a hide for when it's small. You are one about the ones with lids right? XD

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  01:51:00  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

You could always get the large, and use the lid as a hide for when it's small. You are one about the ones with lids right? XD

That's a good idea Sta~ple, it would certainly save money and the lids are quite deep. So I guess it would depend on whether you are planning on getting any more. If you are then buy a small or medium one, then upgrade as and when necessary, then you have a spare for a new snake

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.

Edited by - LittleMick on 29/05/2010 01:51:19
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  08:23:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is what i am on about
http://www.888reptiles.co.uk/productdetails.php?ProductID=2391&ProductGroupID=1185

i like your idea for using the lid but then like the idea littlemick sed, i always have a spare for a new snake, i always have a spare setup. i will see when i go to buy everything from the shop

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000