Worried !
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jessejamez666
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  15:23:31  Show Profile  Visit jessejamez666's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey guys , I'm quite worried !!
Beetlejuice brought his food back up the other day
We think that when he was eating he took in a bit of aspen as well!!
Im actually worried about this.
Can anyone help !?!?!

Beetlejuice and Chewie

1.0.0 Normal-Beetlejuice
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon-Chewie
1.0.0 Kingsnake-Booga
1.0.0 Royal Python- Pilsbury

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  15:46:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it could have happened for many reasons tbh, have your temps changed recently? especially with this hot weather we have had recently a lot of faun temps have been fluctuating more than normal,
do you normally feed him in his viv on the aspen? maybe put a few sheets of newspaper in the viv before feeding or feed him in a different substrate free tub which will reduce the chances of substrate being ingested,
make sure you leave him for between 7-10days before feeding again to allow his stomach to settle and the juices to replenish

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  04:08:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so sorry to hear that Stewart. I had it happen with Silvesta once and it is horrible....seeing it and then trying to work out why and waiting til the next feed and then waiting it see if it will happen again.

This is a really good sticky all about regurgitation - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7792

HannahB is right, temps could definitely have had something to do with it....especially with how the weather has been recently.

You thinking that he took a bit of aspen as well is a good reason for you maybe beginning to think about feeding him outside his viv, in a RUB. I wouldnt try this immediately but only once he is back feeding normally. Until then you can do as HannahB suggested and cover the aspen, with newspaper or kitchen roll or put it on a tile or a plate. There is still a risk with these ways as Beetlejuice could pull the food off whatever you put it on....but it is better than not doing anything.

You need to leave him for 10 days before you feed him again, that is to allow his digestive system to recover so that it can handle his next feed.

I know this is difficult, but try not to panic. With Silvesta it was a one-off and I am still not sure why....hopefully it will be the same with Beetlejuice.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  17:04:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Twilight recently threw back his last two meals. The first one I hadn't noticed which meant I fed him again a week later and he wasn't ready for it. This time I left him 14 days for his stomach to settle (just to be sure) then gave him a small mouse (I had recently moved him up to mediums). He's kept that one down fine and did a normal poo yesterday and is as happy and active as usual. Don't panic, just try to work out what caused it and put it right. I think mine was putting his feed size up too soon. Good luck, Sam.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2010 :  06:20:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sammysnake

.....gave him a small mouse (I had recently moved him up to mediums). He's kept that one down fine and did a normal poo yesterday and is as happy and active as usual.....

Sorry to stray off your topic of Beetlejuice for a moment Stewart, but that is such good news Sam , I am so pleased that Saracen kept down his last feed. As I said to Stewart it really is a horrible thing to go through (for the snake of course but also for the owner)....seeing it and then trying to work out why and waiting til the next feed and then waiting it see if it will happen again. But for Saracen, hopefully, this is all behind him.

I do hope the same happens for you Stewart and that it will just be a one-off. Please let us know how he (and you) are getting on.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000