Unsure about temps
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

123 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  15:08:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, did a search and didn't really find much

At the moment, we've got Ruby in a glass fish tank. We've got the heat mat under the tank, with a piece of kitchen foil and a towel between the heat mat and the table on which the tank rests (that is, tank, heat mat, foil, towel, table). We were advised to put the probe between the bottom of the tank and the heat mat to get the most accurate temperature- is this a bad idea? I'm just not sure what to think as the thermometer reads around 82F on the warm side and room temp on the cool side, but she spends nearly all of her time in the cool hide. In fact, the only reason she ever goes to the warm side of the viv is because she has great fun going in and out of the little hole in the top of the coconut hide (silly little pretzel ). Using dials atm, digitals on the way as we speak. Should we switch and have the probe inside or d'you reckon it's all right where it is? Thanks bunches xx

0.1.0 fire corn (Ruby)
0.0.6 lemon tetras (O'Neill, Jackson, Hammond, Teal'c, Quinn, Hank)
0.0.4 siamese algae Eaters (Pogo, Jimmy, Leo, Fatty Ding Dong)
0.0.2 stone catfish (Mark, Jez)

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  15:58:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with glass vivs the probe should be inside the viv, it act like a greenhouse and will be making the inside hotter than what your dials are saying,
you should move it inside sooner rather than later - especially with the hot water we have been having, when your digital thermometers arrive put one of the probes with the stat probe and attach them together with an elastic band and this will give you an accurate reading for both the stat and the thermometers

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  16:14:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I disagree, I think the stat probe should be in direct contact with the heat mat on the outside. That way the snake cant move it, and because it reads the exact temp of the mat, you have more accurate control when setting the temperature.

The thermometer probes should be on the bottom of the tank in the inside where the snake is so that is measures the temperture of the area where the snake will be, but stat probes should be in the area when you get the most accurate reading from the heat source (which for a heat mat is always in contact with it).

Go to Top of Page

LittleMick
Yearling

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  23:32:54  Show Profile  Visit LittleMick's Homepage  Click to see LittleMick's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Surely though Matty, no matter where you put the stat probe you will end up turning up the dial on the stat MORE to get the heat through the glass?

0.4.0 Gerbils (Gemini, Pica, Gerty and Sasha)
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Elle)
1.0.0 Carolina Corn Snake(Elijah)
0.0.1 Emperor/Imperial Scorpion (Abbi)
2.0.0 Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters (Micro & Chippy)
Tropical fish - 6 Platys.6 Mollies.9 Glowlight Tetra.4 Pearl Gouramis.4 Apple Snails.1 Tiger Plec.2 Common Bristlenose Plecs and lots of babies.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  02:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

I disagree, I think the stat probe should be in direct contact with the heat mat on the outside. That way the snake cant move it, and because it reads the exact temp of the mat, you have more accurate control when setting the temperature.

The thermometer probes should be on the bottom of the tank in the inside where the snake is so that is measures the temperture of the area where the snake will be, but stat probes should be in the area when you get the most accurate reading from the heat source (which for a heat mat is always in contact with it).

But surely you then have the same issue with the thermometer probe being moved and you adjusting the stat because of that?

I have never dealt with glass tanks before, only wooden ones....but would think that the theory is the same - you should have the probe for the stat and the thermometer in the same place and where the corn will touch (so with a wooden viv on the heatmat or on the lino if it is covered in that, with a glass tank on the base of the tank where the snake will burrow to and touch).

Surely both probes should always be kept together? You solve the problem of them being moved by weighing them down with a heavy hide or stones.

As I have said....I havent had glass or plastic tanks, so would be interested to hear what the response it....I am just sorry it isnt a right or wrong answer at the moment for Rachel - but then that is what forums are all about .

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

123 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  11:50:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice, guys! I've read so many differing opinions elsewhere online, which is to be expected- during the 8 or 9 weeks I spent reading up before bringing Ruby home, I realised that there are a lot of grey areas on the subject of keeping snakes and everyone does things a little differently, so I appreciate the varied answers!

I've now got the stat probe inside the viv, next to the warm hide; The thermometer is taped to the probe (doubled up along the edges to avoid any adhesive bits coming away and possibly getting stuck to Ruby) and slightly nestled into the aspen. When I checked on her this morning, I was very pleased to see her curled up in the warm hide, peeking out to watch me change her water bowl. The thermometer seems to be a bit more accurate now, so I'll probably keep it this way and see what happens when I switch over to digitals in a few days. Thanks again

0.1.0 fire corn (Ruby)
0.0.6 lemon tetras (O'Neill, Jackson, Hammond, Teal'c, Quinn, Hank)
0.0.4 siamese algae Eaters (Pogo, Jimmy, Leo, Fatty Ding Dong)
0.0.2 stone catfish (Mark, Jez)
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  12:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would never put the probe anywhere other than where your snake is going to be lying.

IE - Inside the hot hide, on the substrate.

Yes the snake will move it occasionally but only fractionally, my thermometer probe and stat probes are not taped together or fixed down just secured down by the hide and they always read within 0.5c-1c of each other.

On the outside of the glass is useless, this is a different temp to where the snake will be lying so surely this is of no use?

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  04:40:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I certainly would weigh the probes down Rachel as I have had issues with Silvesta moving them so they were pointing sky high, which meant the stat was reading the ambient temp and therefore the heatmat heated up. Luckily I noticed and reacted quickly. They are now weighed down with stones as his hide isnt heavy enough and I check them every day to make sure they are still lying horizontally along the heatmat.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  10:17:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleMick

Surely though Matty, no matter where you put the stat probe you will end up turning up the dial on the stat MORE to get the heat through the glass?

Yes, but thats not a problem. The dial on the stat doesnt have to be set at the temp you want the snake to feel, it just has to be set to the point where the heated area reaches the required temperature.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2010 :  10:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

But surely you then have the same issue with the thermometer probe being moved and you adjusting the stat because of that?

Any probe that is being used to either measure a heat mat temperature, or control a heat mat temperature should be secured so that it cannot move. Say it moves higher by 1cm, that could incrase the heat mat temp by about 10 degrees.

By putting the stat probe outside, the snake cannot move it, and it doesnt have to be where the snake is as it is not measureing the temperature of the snakes area - thats not its job.

Its the thermometers job to measure the surface temp of the snakes hot area, so that has to be inside. Because it has to be inside, the snake can move it, so you have to secure it well.

I have never dealt with glass tanks before, only wooden ones....but would think that the theory is the same - you should have the probe for the stat and the thermometer in the same place and where the corn will touch (so with a wooden viv on the heatmat or on the lino if it is covered in that, with a glass tank on the base of the tank where the snake will burrow to and touch).

With a wooden viv, you dont have the choice of putting the stat probe out side of the viv, so it must go inside in direct conact with the mat (along with the thermometer probe). Again they must both be secured very well.

Surely both probes should always be kept together? You solve the problem of them being moved by weighing them down with a heavy hide or stones.

There is no need for them to be kept together. Think of the stat teperature reading and the thermometer temperature reading as being relative to each other, instead of them being the same.

So if the bottom of a glass tank is 29 degrees, then thats good, and you would get that reading from the thermometer placed inside, in direct contact with the surface. The stat probe reading, (although you would never find out exactly), is going to be almost exactly the same if you place it next to the thermometer probe inside the tank touching the bottom.

If you remove the stat probe and have it in direct conact with the mat outside the tank and DONT change the dial on the stat, the stat will recognise the increased temperature (as the mat itself will be hotter than the surface temperature of whatever its heating), and decrease the power to the mat resulting in a hot area that is too cool.

If you then turn the dial on the stat up, you will get to the point where the reading on the thermometer is what you want it to be. E.g. if you want 29*C, then you may have the dial on the stat up to 32*C - but thats not a problem. The readings on stat dial are to be ignored.

As with most animal things, there is no right or wrong way, this is just the way i prefer to do things.

I hope I have explained what I mean by the readings being relative to each other, if not just say and I will have another go.

As I have said....I havent had glass or plastic tanks, so would be interested to hear what the response it....I am just sorry it isnt a right or wrong answer at the moment for Rachel - but then that is what forums are all about .

xxx

(My replies in red.)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000