Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  17:08:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey there,
im going on holiday for 7 days on the 29th may,
ive seen you have to leave the snake to settle in for a week before handling.
i have got someone coming in everyday to take care of the beardie who could also play with the substrate and change the water daily.
they're at my house all the time but when i come back would the snake be comfortable with me or just them because they have got used to their smell not mine?
i know that if im their for the seven days without handling, i wont be able to resist it. such a beautiful snake

any ideas? good or bad idea? ive had corns before a few times so im okay with general care
any help welcome pleeease :)
thanks x

1.0.0 bearded dragon - rocky
lots of tropical fishies

r.i.p. crystal the snow corn

soon to have a beautiful corn again :)

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  17:41:50  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If there's a no handling for 7 days, then your mates scent shouldn't get onto anything really anyway.

I had to leave my snake with my parents for a while when I first got her as I was going away, and she was fine.

I don't personally think it will be an issue.

You could always put some clothing of yours in with her when yuo go so she's got something with your scent on it. (like a tank top you've worn all night or something like that!)

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  17:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oo okay :)
shall be posting a load of pics up when i get her.
thanks alot :)

lots of tropical fishies

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  18:14:11  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum mate.

And yes pics are a necessity. Where about are you going on holiday?

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  18:17:32  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
(and welcome btw!!! )

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  20:38:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum and look forward to some pictures
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  21:19:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
portugal :D
pics will be up as soon as poss :)
went to get crickets for the beardie ended up putting a deposite down on a snake, what can i say he/she was irresistable :)

lots of tropical fishies

Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  21:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you'll have to start ordering your rep food online now otherwise you'll always be at risk of coming home with another scaly thing!
lol

hello and welcome
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  21:50:37  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum..!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  22:44:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
deffinatly looking into that! all the rep shops nearby and local breeding shop seem to be closing down D:
one place left thats close, an aquatics shop, always in there getting water for the fish tank and always end up in the reptile department somehow :)
nice to finally find a forum with a friendly atmosphere :)

lots of tropical fishies

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2010 :  01:02:55  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya n welcome to the forum :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2010 :  03:09:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum ChloeLou.....you will find it is a great forum to be part of with lots of advice and support from experienced owners....and you have already found out how friendly we are , fun too!!

It is great having someone join us who has had corns before. How long ago was that and what did you have? (You will also discover we are a very nosey lot !). Your experience shows in the knowledge of the one-week guide, which so few shops advise . I agree with what has been said about your friend looking after your corn for the week you are away. The time is mainly used for the snake to de-stress from travelling, for it to feel safe in its new home and for it to get used to the new smells of its new environment. True, it does mean that it wont be your smell that will dominate the viv originally (as our smell is transmitted in when we change the water and check the substrate), but once you are back you can start straightening the substrate yourself and therefore letting your smell become the 'known' smell. You could put a piece of clothing in, but if you do then it should be something small. The best suggestion I have heard is a pair of knee-high socks with the foot cut off. But, to be honest, I dont think it is vital to do. All that is important is that the snake has a chance to settle in and then once you are home you can begin to get it used to your smell.

I am not sure if you have found this with your corns before or your beardie now, but unfortunately a lot of us have had bad advice from pet shops ....and now dont trust them. I know I double check anything I am told on here. No question asked on this forum is regarded as a silly one, it is much better asked and answered....you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

There is such a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

I am not sure if you did this with the corns you had, I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14. I do hope you will post pics of your beardie as well, in the 'Other Reptiles' section.

Why am I not surprised that you walked into a pet shop for one thing and walked out having purchased a snake! A know a few members who have done exactly the same thing. We advise people to only enter a pet shop with the exact money they need and no plastic ! So many of us have found that corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You are about to start down that corn path again, so be warned!!

Have a fantastic holiday and I look forward to getting to know you and your new corn better when you get back .

xxx

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2010 :  06:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi welcome to the forum

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

419 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2010 :  11:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya & welcome to the forum :o)

0.1.0 Crested Gecko: Keiko
2.1.0 Corn Snakes: Picollo, Morph, Sookie
0.1.0 Royal Python: Luna
0.0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake: Chilli
2.4.0 Leopard Geckos: Cleo, Echo, Tiffin, Roley, Scarlett, Ludwig
1.0.0 Understanding Boyfriend: Nick

www.vickyexotics.webs.com

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2010 :  23:14:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thankyou all for the welcomes :)
the last time i had a corns was around two years ago and have sure missed them! unfortunatly had to sell them on due to a small sibling not being old enough to understand that you cant let the snakey go for walks + the viv was in the lounge.. very sad to see them go but felt the need to keep a reptile still so have had beardies in my room until now the terrible twos have passed and can keep reps downstairs again :)

ohhhh yes. 'the man in the shop blahh blah blaah..' when i was a first time corn owner, i researched for months before taking my first home, then when asking the breeder questions, got different answers so was verrrry confused.
now i finally find a forum with nice friendly people, ive come across many forums where many posts end in arguements of different opinions and decide not to join.. i prefer asking questions to alot of people on a forum and get alot of help then relying on one fella in the shop.

went to the shop and had a look at the gorgous corn and also spent rather alot on the viv set up today, thermostat, thermometers, hides + new water bowl etc.. spent a quite few hours setting it all up too! cant wait to bring he/she home :D

as for the snake diaries, i did exactly the same with the old corns a few years ago.. new and very excited snake owner, wanting to keep everything in check and that was the best way to do it. positive i will do it again this time :)

thanks again + pics will be up as soon as ! :)
xx

lots of tropical fishies

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  02:48:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chloelou096

thankyou all for the welcomes :)
the last time i had a corns was around two years ago.......

ohhhh yes. 'the man in the shop blahh blah blaah..'.......

now i finally find a forum with nice friendly people, ive come across many forums where many posts end in arguements of different opinions and decide not to join....

went to the shop and had a look at the gorgous corn and also spent rather alot on the viv set up today, thermostat, thermometers, hides + new water bowl etc.. spent a quite few hours setting it all up too! cant wait to bring he/she home :D

as for the snake diaries, i did exactly the same with the old corns a few years ago....

thanks again + pics will be up as soon as ! :)
xx

So sorry you had to get rid of your corns 2 years ago, but do understand the necessity - rather difficult teaching a toddler how to hold a snake without squeezing it to death and you certainly cant expect them to not open viv doors and then remember to shut them again, can you ! Was very understanding of you to get rid of them and I am glad that you got to hang on to your reps by keeping your beardie.....and now you have a gorgeous corn to look forward to and a little sibling to initiate into our corn love !

Am sorry you have had the same experiences so many of us have had with 'the man in the shop' . I am in the unfortunate situation where my OH still believes anything he says....so often have an uphill battle to get things right. But that is where the forum comes in and to have found a place you can call home, which is so friendly and without the arguments and flaming that happens on so many others. I am not saying that we are all saints on here, only some of us , and of course there are differences of opinion and they can sometimes get heated....but I think the main point of the forum is always remembered - to respect each other - and that at the end of the day we are all here cos we care about our snakes and each others snakes. Sorry, didnt mean to preach about the forum ....but I am a convert!

I bet you wished you could have bought that snake home with you there and then - but then you do have your holiday to look forward to first ! It is great hearing that you have got your viv equipment and are getting it set-up before you get your snake....making sure everything is up and running perfectly in its new home. But the money you could so easily spend.....

So glad you used to do the diaries. I thought I was maybe going a bit OTT when I started them but am now so glad I do, which is why I suggest them to new owners.

Will we get pics before you go on holiday? I wonder whether you will be able to sneak a few as you transfer it into its viv....

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

10 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  23:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the young sibling has been introduced to the snake and is very excited. most likely because its so different to the cats or dogs.
a preach is always good! :) everyone on here is a member because they love corns, everyone wants the best for them :)
and oooo yes i sure did wish i could take it back at that moment. we brought the larger viv quite a while ago and it is set up for a snake, its just been sitting in the shed for ages all sad and empty waiting to be used! :)
i looove setting up the viv, making sure the tempurature is all correct and being all proud about it :D

pictures will be up friday night hopefully before i leave for the airport, ( at 3am saturday morning -_- )
the camera will deffinatly be at the ready to get a few sneaky pics whilst transporting :)
xxx

lots of tropical fishies

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000