Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

misspiggy18
Hatchling

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  18:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi im new to snake ownership and im looking to buy a corn but i need to gather some information i dont mean to like i dont know anything

got a couple of questions

how much would a corn cost do males cost more than females

can you use a heat mat in a plastic box im thinking of geting a large box to start with then more to a glass viv

what watt should the heat mat be

2.0.0 corn snakes (Vinnie and Leo)
1.1.0 cats ( jayda and thomas)

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  18:39:01  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum..!
The cost of a corn depends on the morph. Price for a normal corn is usually around 15-20£ but depents on the breeder or the pet shop.
Yes, you can use a heat mat but buy a digital thermometer so that you can check the temp. The cold end should be around 21°C and the hot end 30°C.
Take a look at the caresheet
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

Hope i helped,
Electra

Edited by - mozacchio on 21/05/2010 18:40:24
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  19:21:51  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey, welcome to the forum.

Price doesn't vary between sexes unless you get an older snake. Hatchling prices just depend on the morphs as said by Electra.

Heatmats are used on the outside of a plastic tub, regulated with a suitable thermostat and monitored with a digi thermometer.

The wattage of the heatmat varies with the size of the mat so i can't accurately advise one without knowing how big the tub is, but the heatmat should take up between 1/3 and 1/2 of the tank.

If you have any other questions or queries then try using the search bar in the top right hand corner, if you can't get your answers that way then make a thread in the relevant section and somebody is usually online who can help you.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  19:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello and welcome
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  20:22:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hiya and welcome to the forum,

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  20:22:49  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum. This is the place to be for all things snake. Have a jolly good browse about on here, you'll learn loads!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  21:32:00  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hiya and welcome!
which end of the country are you? (unless you're not even in this country!)

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  21:40:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome! :)

Corns:
1.2 Butter, 1.1 Blizzard, 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Creamsicle, 1.2 Ghost, 1.2 Candycane, 1.2 Candycane - orange, 1.1 Caramel, 0.1 Snow, 1.0 Carolina stripe, 0.2 Amelanistic, 0.1 Carolina Motley, 1.1 Pewter, 1.0 Lavender

Cornsnake babies: OMGHI! im not even gonna try to keep up ;)

Others:
1.2 Great plains ratsnake (E.emoryi)

1.1 Ball python - Lesser platinum, 1.1 Ball python - Het pied, 1.1 Ball python - High contrast Albino

2.1 Chihuauha mountain kingsnake (L.p.knoblochi)
Go to Top of Page

misspiggy18
Hatchling

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  21:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi i live in the uk in willenhall

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  21:55:55  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcomes :)

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  02:22:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Amy. I am so glad that you have joined us and done so before getting your corn, so that you can find out all the necessary info before bringing it home - it shows what sort of owner you are setting out to be . You will find that this is a great forum with lots of experienced owners who are always happy to give advice and support. The bonus is the fun and friendship that you get on here too .

I am sure that you will have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. Mozzachio has already guided you to the best place to look - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

I know this is early info for you, but I would guess that you are the sort who wants to go in with as much knowledge as possible. When you do get your corn, we always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)....no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so it can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about your corn not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

If you have been doing some research you will have already found that there is a large amount of conflicting info out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least on here you can ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

A lot of us have had bad experiences with pet shops, and have found that a lot of them cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! Danny has already guided you to the first place to look - the search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

I am glad you are asking questions already and it looks like your questions have all been answered ! One thing I would mention is that it is a really good idea to get the set-up for your snake at least a week before you get the snake itself....that way you can get it up and running, make sure it is holding its temp properly and make sure that there are no problems before putting your snake in it. Also, as I have said, dont trust the pet shop and get just what they suggest you need - often they say that a heatmat doesnt need a stat when it is a vital piece of equipment and they rarely suggest a digital thermometer, which is also vital.

When you get your snake try to get as much info about it as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Very early for you, but you need to know now....there is an unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You are about to start down that corn path so be warned!!

I am sorry if I have told you stuff you already know - but better told twice than not at all . It is great that you are on here and learning....we are here to help !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

dean54321
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  08:54:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hii
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  09:32:18  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  06:48:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi welcome 2 the forum

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

Dan-sunkist
Hatchling

Ireland
143 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  08:07:04  Show Profile  Click to see Dan-sunkist's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
welcome to the forum.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  20:43:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum misspiggy.
Go to Top of Page

misspiggy18
Hatchling

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  23:23:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanx to all of you your all so welcoming i carnt wait till i get my corn lol xx

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2010 :  03:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by misspiggy18

thanx to all of you your all so welcoming i carnt wait till i get my corn lol xx

I dont blame you Amy! You must be so excited !! And if you think this waiting is hard, then you will find that first week of it settling in, when there is no handling allowed, so frustrating - a case of being able to see but not touch !!

Any idea of when you might get your corn and do you have a certain morph in mind?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

misspiggy18
Hatchling

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2010 :  19:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi kellog im not sure yet my lecturuer at my college is breeding them and he said he is expecting his eggs to hatch in june but he is hoping for albinos and non albinos he hopes to get the amerys i think and the ghost he did mention some others as well but i carnt remember what he said lol x

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  02:53:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by misspiggy18

hi kellog im not sure yet my lecturuer at my college is breeding them and he said he is expecting his eggs to hatch in june but he is hoping for albinos and non albinos he hopes to get the amerys i think and the ghost he did mention some others as well but i carnt remember what he said lol x

Well you said the 2 magic words - ghost and anery....but then I am very biased , just look at my beautiful Kellog and Silvesta!

I hadnt realised you were getting it from a lecturer at your college. I am sure you already know this but make sure you dont take your snake until it has shed and has eaten a few times. I am sure your lecturer wouldnt let you, but unfortunately some breeders arent as scrupulous and you could get home and find you have a non-feeder, which is not what you want.

At least it means you have someone close at hand to give you some advice....and, of course, you always have us !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

misspiggy18
Hatchling

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2010 :  22:49:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yh the lecturer has said that he wants it to have eaten at least 4-5 times but i dont mind wainting till september to get him the eggs hatch in june id rather have a snake which is a few months old and eating rather then have a new hatchling who dont eat x

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000