WOW! How lucky!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Matt_Brooks
Hatchling

138 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  14:32:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After looking on here and realising my thermostat and thermometer probes were positioned wrong i went to change them around and got the shock of my life!

I orginally had them coming throught the back of the RUB and then down with the tips just touching the substrate. I was getting readings of the desired 28c.

I didnt realise that you should have the probes laying HORIZONTALY and UNDER the substrate! well when i moved them the thermometer was reading 39.7c!!!!!!!

I always wonderd why Cleo never moved from her cold end hide! now i know why, fortunatly shes fine and doesnt seem burnt! Good job really as ive had it set up like this for nearly 2 months now!

God you live and you learn!

0.1.0 Carolina Corn

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  14:51:43  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Atleast its fixed now and your corn can thermoregulate properly.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  15:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very lucky - hopefully your corn will be out and about a bit more in both ends now

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Brooks
Hatchling

138 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  15:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I can't feel any heat at all? Only the tiniest bit if I move the substrate and put my hand on the plastic. Is this correct?

0.1.0 Carolina Corn
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  16:01:24  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yo won't feel that much heat because of your body temperature is quite high :)

We all make buu-buu so don't worry, at least it's all sorted now :)and it's god that you had a hide at the cold end s you snake could go in that, if you only had one hide and that was at the hot end you could have had snake-fried noodles >.<

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  16:19:43  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You are really lucky!
I'm glad everything's ok now..!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  21:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to hear you got it to work properly, you are not the first btw ;)

Corns:
1.2 Butter, 1.1 Blizzard, 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Creamsicle, 1.2 Ghost, 1.2 Candycane, 1.2 Candycane - orange, 1.1 Caramel, 0.1 Snow, 1.0 Carolina stripe, 0.2 Amelanistic, 0.1 Carolina Motley, 1.1 Pewter, 1.0 Lavender

Cornsnake babies: OMGHI! im not even gonna try to keep up ;)

Others:
1.2 Great plains ratsnake (E.emoryi)

1.1 Ball python - Lesser platinum, 1.1 Ball python - Het pied, 1.1 Ball python - High contrast Albino

2.1 Chihuauha mountain kingsnake (L.p.knoblochi)
Go to Top of Page

Big Stew
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  22:11:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told to mount our heat pad on the side of the viv as it was more natural for the corn if the heat source came from above. I have mounted the thermostat sensor directly to the heat mat. Is this all OK please??
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  22:15:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Stew, heat mat is best on the base of the viv, heat mats generally perform better on contact with the substrate than ambient heat, sensor on the heatmat is fine.

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Brooks
Hatchling

138 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  22:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was told to put sensor on heatmat and then thermometer under substrate but im not sure what im looking for as the substrate was keeping the thermometer warm at around 29c without heat mat?

At the min ive got the top of substrate at 29c is this right or does it need to be 29c at bottom of substrate?

0.1.0 Carolina Corn
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  22:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
stat sensor on the heatmat is ok so no worries, I find it better if i set the temps with the thermometer prbe below the substrate (resting on the rub base), that way if your snake burrows the temps dont get hotter nearer the plastic, hot end temps range from 27 - 29 deg C .

Edited by - gmac on 21/05/2010 23:05:10
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  03:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Big Stew

I was told to mount our heat pad on the side of the viv as it was more natural for the corn if the heat source came from above. I have mounted the thermostat sensor directly to the heat mat. Is this all OK please??

Quite a few people are told that by pet shops Stewart, but unfortunately many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here.

I am assuming that you have a wooden viv.....

Gmac is right....it is best to have the heatmat on the floor of the viv as your corn will absorb its warmth from its belly, not from the ambient temp. You then need to place the stat probe horizontally on the heatmat and weigh it down with a heavy hide or rocks to make sure your snake doesnt move it.

How are you measuring your temps? You really do need to have a digital thermometer with the probe positioned with the stat probe to monitor what is going on....stats have been known to malfunction and it is always better to be able to see what the actual heat is in the viv that rely on the heatmat and stat.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Big Stew
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  18:52:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The viv is a glass bottomed one but still has sliding doors the same as a wooden one, does this make any difference as to how the heat mat is placed. I will get a couple of digi thermometers to replace the standard round type I was suplied with the set up ! ! !

Edited by - Big Stew on 22/05/2010 18:52:47
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  19:17:49  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Your viv sounds very interesting! If it has a glass bottom then treat it as you would normally a glass viv, in which case the mat would go under the viv and then you put the probe and thermometer inside the viv on the floor. If you rubber band them together you can get a accurate reading.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIGITAL-THERMOMETER-FAST-DISPATCH_W0QQitemZ330431327721QQihZ014QQcategoryZ93679QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m444QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DCRX%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DSI%252BUA%252BLM%252BLA%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8353180239267317034#ht_3237wt_946
These are brill thermometers and if you have a glass viv, you can use the suction cups to make sure the probes don't move Although maybe weigh it down with a rock or hide just to doubly check it cant move.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Big Stew
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2010 :  19:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Your viv sounds very interesting! If it has a glass bottom then treat it as you would normally a glass viv

Here's a pic of it , It came with Harry who I rehomed on Tuesday. His RAF lady owner has been deployed to Afganistan ,so he was free to a good home complete with his/her/it's ? ? ? house. Just going through the weeks settling in at the moment.

Edited by - Big Stew on 22/05/2010 19:43:58
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  04:29:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Big Stew

The viv is a glass bottomed one but still has sliding doors the same as a wooden one, does this make any difference as to how the heat mat is placed. I will get a couple of digi thermometers to replace the standard round type I was suplied with the set up ! ! !

I do apologise Stew , cos you were talking about having the heatmat inside the viv on the side I assumed that your viv was wooden....as they are the only vivs where you would have the heatmat inside (that I know of).

Sta~ple's advice about the positioning of the mat under the viv and the stat and thermometer probes inside the viv, over the heatmat, is perfect. You need to be measuring what heat is coming through the glass and therefore what heat your snake would be touching if it slides through the light sprinkling of substrate in the warm end and touches the bottom of the viv. It is definitely worthwhile weighing down the probes with a heavy hide or rocks otherwise Harry can dislodge them and you will get incorrect reading which could cause problems.

Because I havent dealt with glass vivs before I am not sure of this, but I THINK that you need to have a slight air gap between the heatmat and the viv....therefore not have the viv sitting directly on the heatmat. But I am sure others who have these sorts of viv can advise you on this.

That really is quite a nice set-up you have there for Harry, and well done for helping out his RAF owner....I am sure it will have put her mind at rest knowing he was going to a good home. Some snakes do find it a bit disconcerting having all glass around them. I know you have the viv in a corner so 2 sides are sheltered, but if you are worried you could maybe cover all 3 sides with aquarium backing paper so that Harry feels more secure.

I cant wait to see pics of him once he has settled in.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  12:07:24  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thats a really pretty viv!!
I have a glass one. I have a towel under the mat, and the glass viv sitting on top of it, (no air gap) and it's been fine.
The probes are inside the viv.

Hope that helps!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Big Stew
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2010 :  14:47:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx for all the advice all, I have now reset up both vivs. The glass one has now got the heat mat under externally with the thermostat prob mounted to the glass bottom internally. There are now 2 digital thermometers for the warm and cool ends and also a hide for each end. The other viv is a standard wooden type with glass sliding panels, this has been set up the same except the heat mat is mounted inside on the big floor. Both are keeping their temperatures much better and are much more constant. All's well .

Edited by - Big Stew on 27/05/2010 14:50:12
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/05/2010 :  02:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is great news Stew, well done for setting everything up and I am so glad that both vivs are keeping their temps constant (and that those temps are monitored by digital thermometers !!). You must be really relieved too.

All is definitely well !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000