New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pitcher
Hatchling

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  09:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
probably a nice easy question but with the amount of threads i've read through the last few days i,m forgetting what it read lol

How often does or can a female corn become gravid per year? is it a case of letting her recope after laying and then going again or is there a set period??

i assume the male is 'good to go' whenever???

thanks

7.9 corns

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  11:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Generally they only breed once a year, thats their cycle. Its not adviseable to breed more than once a year, and under normal circumstances they wont breed at anytime, its the coming out of hibernation, time of the year that triggers the breeding cycle.
Sometimes however, big femles can double clutch, even triple clutch, but they need to be big and healthy, capable of sustaining that number of eggs.
In the short, once is enough, you shouldnt introduce the male more than once in the year. She has to be of suitable size also to breed from.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  21:39:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What mike said ;)

Also the males are not good to go whenever. They do try if they are given the chance, but its kinda pointless.
Sometimes when a female does not get gravid from the male they were put together with, i try with a male that is a proven breeder and that has been with other females earlier that season. Often the result isnt that good... the eggs are often slugs or a big portion of them are or there is no result whatsoever so i try to avoid that if possible. i lack some males though so i did try one year and it wasnt worth the stress brought on the males.

I usually put the males into the females cage about 4 weeks after comming out of hibernation (i hibernate october-january) and that seems to work great. Big clutches and very few slugs (this year i have had 1 (one) slug of 427 eggs). After 1 week i take the male out and let the snakes rest for a week, after that i put the same male back for 3-4 days. If notthing happens then i take another male that have been resting for atleast a week and put him in there instead.

Does this make any sense at all? Way to tired to focus on spelling ..lol

/M.

Corns:
1.2 Butter, 1.1 Blizzard, 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Creamsicle, 1.2 Ghost, 1.2 Candycane, 1.2 Candycane - orange, 1.1 Caramel, 0.1 Snow, 1.0 Carolina stripe, 0.2 Amelanistic, 0.1 Carolina Motley, 1.1 Pewter, 1.0 Lavender

Cornsnake babies: OMGHI! im not even gonna try to keep up ;)

Others:
1.2 Great plains ratsnake (E.emoryi)

1.1 Ball python - Lesser platinum, 1.1 Ball python - Het pied, 1.1 Ball python - High contrast Albino

2.1 Chihuauha mountain kingsnake (L.p.knoblochi)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000