New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  00:05:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
copied this here as nobody may notice in the intro section.

Originally posted by devindl

I'm a new owner, and new to the forum, i have a question...I've got a 5yr old albino got from a friend and loving him he's very rescently shed and mated(not sure if it matters) but lately he's been twitching when touched and sometimes when left alone as i watched.
Any answers?

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  01:04:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And also should i feed him 2 mice per week or is 1 ok. I fed him a live one 2 days ago cause i wanted to see it happen, when it's always been fresh kill...www.youtube.com SEARCH...devinlacourciere...my vids are there. I also have a 3yr old King

Devin
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  05:01:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To deal with your original post I know that my oldest male sometimes twitches when he is touched (almost like a spasm running through him). I think he is either responding to being surprised or just registering the fact that he doesnt want to be touched. I have only noticed him do this once when he was alone in the viv and this was immediately after his shed and I wondered if it was a case of his new skin jumping at the feel of the substrate etc, causing a nervous reaction....but I am no expert and can only go by what I have witnessed with my own snake.

As for your second post, I will deal with your feeding question first. How long have you had it, how old is it and how much does it weigh? We cant really guide you until we know a bit more about it.

I will warn you now that you have raised a very sensitive topic with regard to feeding your snake a live mouse - and even posting it on youtube. It can be very dangerous to feed a snake a live mouse as they are not used to live prey and therefore can be damaged whilst trying to catch and kill it. And to do it for your own entertainment - because you wanted to see it happen....I am sorry, but that just shocks me. The only time you would resort to live prey is if you have a non-feeder and you have tried every other avenue for trying to get it to feed - you certainly wouldnt do it for your own pleasure, therefore putting your snake at risk.

I suggest you read this link to see the response when someone thought about doing a live pinkie feed before doing it (luckily they posted about it before doing it) - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7553

Also read through this link - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5568&SearchTerms=entertainment. The original topic was locked and deleted as emotions ran so high about the subject.

I am sorry you felt the need to do this for your own enjoyment/education, whatever you want to call it....but maybe next time you should put some more thought into what risks are involved to your snake.

I know that I, for one, will not be watching your video .

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 19/05/2010 05:12:34
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  09:03:22  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My adults used to twitch all the time it was usually though around when they needed to be fed or I had fed another snake but despite washing my hands they could still smell the mouse and I've been told that this is the shock of eating/not eating, if this is true or not I do not know.

In case you don't know in the UK it is illgeal to feed live food that isn't bugs to animals. The only time it is really deemed acceptable is when you have a young one that won't eat frozen ones despite many methods of trial and error.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  09:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

In case you don't know in the UK it is illgeal to feed live food that isn't bugs to animals. The only time it is really deemed acceptable is when you have a young one that won't eat frozen ones despite many methods of trial and error.

No, it isn't illegal.

However, it is incredibly stupid to feed live to a snake "just to see what would happen". It shows a total lack of regard for both your snakes safety and the welfare of the prey item. if your snake has been feeding perfectly fine on fresh kill, there is no need to feed it live.

I 100% agree with Kellog on this one, I never fail to be a bit disgusted by an attitude like this.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  09:45:02  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have actually looked and thought about where the poster is, no one should automatically assume the poster is in the UK.

In North America it's common practice to live feed, please remember that not everyone is in the UK, thank you.

/quick edit

Hello and welcome to the forum as well.
Please accept MY apologies for the sharp responses in regards live feeding, as stated above it is a highly 'discussed' topic.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Edited by - Kehhlyr on 19/05/2010 09:51:09
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  10:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, but I still think that feeding live just for the sheer hell of it leaves a lot to be desired, irrespective of where you live. The OP stated that he "just wanted to see it happen", which doesn't come across as either responsible or well thought through.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  11:38:54  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would advise against live feeding a snake that does not require it, you are actually putting your snake in unnecessary potential harm.

At 5 years old though I'd only feed every 10-14 days.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  11:43:29  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
To feed live 'to see what it's like' is most certainly frowned upon here, yes. In fact I remember a couple of our UK members saying that they wanted to try it for the same reasons.
However, for a country that feeds primarily live foods I can also understand why they'd want to see it. If 95 out of 100 keepers that were close to him fed live, then it's understandable.
The fact that he said that fresh-killed were normally on the menu suggests that the food is bought live then normally dispatched just before feeding.

I don't agree with it either, I'm just saying to not judge and convict so harshly and so quickly.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  13:44:53  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Devindl, as you can see, live feeding is a touchy subject

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  14:13:31  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry in advance, had to comment. If you want to see a snake eat a live animal put on the national geographic channel and wait a while. Sure its fascinating but best left on telly in the wild where it goes on as a matter of survival. Our captive snakes dont need to kill to eat so why put them through the possibility of getting harmed just to quench our own thirst for entertainment? Because that is all it is. There is no need to feed live so why do it?
Like Kellog I wont be watching the video.

Sorry but thas my opinion. I know it dont help but after reading this thread I had to say something and I apologise in advance if I have offended or put the mods in an awkward position.

Cheers

Steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  19:56:01  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

No, it isn't illegal.

However, it is incredibly stupid to feed live to a snake "just to see what would happen". It shows a total lack of regard for both your snakes safety and the welfare of the prey item. if your snake has been feeding perfectly fine on fresh kill, there is no need to feed it live.

I 100% agree with Kellog on this one, I never fail to be a bit disgusted by an attitude like this.

Sorry I got confused, there is some mis-match information, specially on the internet and everywhere I look it says it's illegal *_* Although some other people say it isn't so I'm very confused now. I know that for a fact a petshop isn't allowed to sell you a pet mouse as food for a snake as I asked. Although it doesn't seem illegal it might as well be as I'm sure if you could feed a snake frozen food and you were feeding it live and the RSPCA got a whiff of this, they would be onto you if they weren't feeling lazy that day.

I never even knew it was more common to feed there even though there are a lot of videos on the net of people feeding live that are American it never occurred to me that it happened a lot there.

Can I ask what the reason behind feeding live is? Isn't it more expensive to feed that way? Although I do often wonder what my snakes would do with live food I don't think I could go through with it after all the stories about them screeching.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 19/05/2010 19:58:27
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  20:44:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Live feeding is a grey area in the law. It is perfectly legal to live feed in the UK aslong as you arnt doing it to cause deliberate suffering or for entertainment. I have also heared that you should show that you have tried all other appropriate measures to feed the snake, but I think thats rubbish myself, though I havent checked.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  21:28:11  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Live feeding discussion/thread has been moved to http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9701
Feel free to carry on there, but can we return this thread back to Devindl's original topic please, thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  04:15:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did wonder where you lived when you posted Devin, especially as you dont mention it and that you mention feeding fresh kill....and I do realise that other countries have different rules and different ways of doing things.

I did try to warn you about the response that you would get, mainly because of your reasoning for feeding live....but I do hope that it hasnt offended you in any way.

The forum is here for anyone to put up what they need and want to know, what they think and feel, as long as they respect others opinions. And in saying that we need to respect your choice as well, even if it is one that some of us dont agree with ourselves - I am just sorry if we sometimes come over as a bit strong.

Returning to yours original question - do you think your question has been answered regarding your snakes twitching?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2010 :  06:39:25  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello Devin - welcome to the forum!

In response to other replies, I won't mention the feeding, I am completely neutral about the idea (depending on circumstance... i.e. for a non feeder is acceptable)

However I also want to apologise if you're feeling a bit shunned - we are an overly friendly forum, but it seems that we all have strong feelings/opinions that we wish to share.
I for one won't be snapping your head off And I agree heartily with Kellog - although we should have considered where you lived and the laws there, in a way, so should you - to have gauged what kind of response you would get.

Again, welcome ot the forum, and don't forget to post up some pictures!

0.0.1 Carolina corn - (renamed) Lumos.
2.0.0 Shetlands - Winston & Rupert.
1.3.0 Guinea pigs - Coffee, Nutkin, Rosemary & Thyme.
0.1.0 Yorkshire Terrier - Poppy.
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  11:51:17  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey and welcome, I've found that they twitch more around breeding season (beginning of the year over here). I was told that it increases when they're horny, so I guess that ties in. Hope that helps!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: