New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
119 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  23:10:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking at getting a corn as a joint project for my and littlest who is 10. My local pet shop can get a corn to order for me but they doint really seem to have much of a clue, tried to sell me a 4' viv for a hatchling (!), no thermostats and a couple of other bad bits of advice so I thought I would ask on here if anyone had any recommendations. Also I don't want to buy a snake without handling / looking at it first.

Mind you this could turn into two corns very quickly, littlest has fallen in love with Carolinas and I think I'm falling for Ghosts at a fast rate of knots!

0.0.1 Amel (Omari)
1.1 Leopard Geckos (Tychondrious and Cleopatra)
0.2 Chocolate Labs (Millie and Lucy) 0.1 Weimaraner (Suzi)
1.0 Cat (Thomas)
2.1 Children plus 1.0 squatting nephew
no more Bovines
and 1.0 husband!

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  23:47:41  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ghosts are awesome Where about in Northern Ireland are you? Im pretty sure there are a couple of people from there on the site and if they knew where you were situated they may be able to recommend a place for you.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
119 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  23:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in Fermanagh but happy to travel anywhere really to find a good shop. So far I've found 3 shops via the web but would rather get a recommendation instead of driving all over the country!

0.0.1 Amel (Omari)
1.0 Cat (Thomas)
no more Bovines
and 1.0 husband!
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  00:01:23  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you look on the thread that has our members map you'll see who's in NI and whereabouts.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  03:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so glad you have done your research first Kat! I can just imagine the people who havent and have gone into that shop and bought a hatchling in an enormous viv, with no thermostat, probably no digital thermometer and following whatever bad advice that shop was giving!

It is lovely that this is a joint project between you and your littlest....although one snake is just not enough for 2 people ! Am afraid I am like Danny, very biased towards ghosts - you just have to look at my Kellog to see why!

When you do get your hatchling you need to get as much info as possible and ensure that the baby you are getting is eating and shedding normally.

Herriotfan mentioned the members map to try and find a member near you, this is the link - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=112536582355638684956.000464c58c16b0ffad1be&z=6

xxx

Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  03:46:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 shops I'd recommend are Cold Heart Exotics in Lisburn and City Reptiles in Belfast. Both have websites so have a look and see what you think. I've had good dealings with both shops and have received excellent advice from both.

Also, although I've never had any dealings with them myself, I've read good things about http://www.emeraldislereptiles.co.uk
I think they are in the Lurgan area but they do deliver Livestock.

1.0.0 Snow Corn

Edited by - headlow on 18/05/2010 03:52:41
Go to Top of Page

Kat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
119 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  21:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone, I'll be heading up the M1 soon :)

0.0.1 Amel (Omari)
1.0 Cat (Thomas)
no more Bovines
and 1.0 husband!
Go to Top of Page

headlow
Hatchling

130 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  22:55:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just heard a bit of bad news. Cold Heart Exotics in Lisburn has shut :(

1.0.0 Snow Corn
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  02:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kat im in belfast and more or less in the same boat as you looking to aquire my first corn snake id much prefer buyin direct from a breeder if your willing to hold off till july....lol (im having a hell of a job doing it myself) I found a breeder here in belfast that will have Butters,Golddusts and motley vari's if your interested i could pm you his email addy.

One thing id stick with this site the information available is vast and it's friendly too

0.0.1 bearded dragon
Corns to follow A.S.A.P
Go to Top of Page

Kat
Hatchling

United Kingdom
119 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  13:56:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that would be great thanks :o) We're trying to decide when to actually get new snakey (s) 'cause we're away twice over the summer for a week each, once in July and once in August and don't really have any snake-sitting friends ...

0.0.1 Amel (Omari)
1.0 Cat (Thomas)
no more Bovines
and 1.0 husband!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  15:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive emailed you his addy Kat let me know how you get on

0.0.1 bearded dragon
Corns to follow A.S.A.P
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  17:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol ill duck down in cover after this...

From what ive picked up so far all you need is a tupperware box of suitable size, (something with a secure lid) a heatmat and a matstat kitchen roll as substrate and either a couple of cocnut halves or a kitchen roll tube as a hide and a water dish of course that should do for a little while then your onto faunarium's.

So im a learner need to know if im hitting the nail on the head with the above?? comments please

0.0.1 bearded dragon
Corns to follow A.S.A.P
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  17:48:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey kat we are in southern ireland and one of the best breeders here is in dublin, in reptile haven. if you are willing to travel its worth it. ben knows his stuff and if any problems he will be more than willing to help. i know its a bit of travel but after being in his place i know he is sound. he wont let anyone out his door with a snake that hasnt held it comfortably in his shop.
http://www.reptilehavenireland.com/about_us.html even if its too far a call might be worth it as he may know someone close by for ya

Go to Top of Page

Dan-sunkist
Hatchling

Ireland
143 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  18:38:33  Show Profile  Click to see Dan-sunkist's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
what she said

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000