Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  21:27:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they dropped and lost one, they gave wrong information. i know it wasnt the one u went for but snake needed saving :D. i put a post up on your OH's thread the site i found seems very reasonably priced

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  21:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dean86

quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Do you have any sort of guard around light?

no not over that light... dont get hot enough to burn em... its just like a kitchen light but lighter, smaller and white rather than yellow... again told we should have it by the pet shop

Lights burning the snake is not always the issue, your snake may grip the light a bit to tight and end up breaking it so your snake may get cut up, would suggest may be best to protect from that aspect just in case.

Also welcome to the forum

Edited by - gmac on 16/05/2010 21:32:43
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  03:26:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dean. Wont give you my usual welcome as already done that for your OH! Have chatted with her quite a bit, along with others, and I think if you look through her threads you will see some good suggestions for dividing the viv so that Zebedee and Coraline can have their own vivs.

They dont need the bulb for heat or light (daylight is enough for them). I think some members use some type of low wattage stick on bulbs - not sure what, but you could easily put one in each viv. You could still use the one heat mat, just put it in the middle of your viv and the divider down the middle of the viv. That way each snake has half of the mat. It is so worth it, cos the risks involved in co-habiting are just too high.

Have a read of this thread so that you can educate yourself on the pros and cons - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070. It is long but definitely worth reading through. You will see that it is a 'hot topic' with some very strong views....but I would hope that once you got to the end of it you would realise the necessity to separate Zebedee and Coraline as soon as possible, especially as they could mate any minute and Coraline could easily die as she is too young to be carrying and laying eggs. I dont want to scare-monger, but feel strongly enough about it that I want you to know what risks you are putting your snakes in. It may look cute them cuddled together, but as HannahB has said it is actually them competing for the best place in the viv. In the wild corns are solitary and only come together for mating, so surely we should not force them to live together in captivity?

Hadnt realised that Natalie had gained another snake! May not have been the one she wanted to rescue (comments already made before about that 'man in the shop' that dont need repeating ) but you have gained a beautiful little anery instead! Cant wait to see pics of it.

So glad you have joined us too, a lot of us have OHs who dont understand our corn-craziness !

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 17/05/2010 03:32:09
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  09:20:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its bit early for my brain to be functioning lol

i understand what your saying and we should split them up... but coz of money and the things that need doin (splitting the tank, also splitting it properly so zebedee cant escape! if u saw the pics i upped last night)

an idea i have come up with... put the 2 females in the big viv... and the male on his own...

as for the anery its well good goes bit crazy and spins around when u pick it up but hasnt gone for me yet like zebedee always does lol

there is a guy on here called markrichards or something and he lives very near to us he made a post sayin he can sex them... so think OH sent him msg hopefully he be able to give us a better idea of what we got... rather thn guy in shop just lookin at tails and guessing!
Go to Top of Page

dean54321
Egg

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  16:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  02:34:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

.......an idea i have come up with... put the 2 females in the big viv... and the male on his own...

as for the anery its well good goes bit crazy and spins around when u pick it up but hasnt gone for me yet like zebedee always does lol

I really am not sure about putting the 2 females together. I am assuming you would put them in the bigger viv and she is smaller than Zebedee and therefore more likely to escape! Also it is very unwise to put 2 snakes together of different sizes, even if they are of the same sex. Coraline would totally dominate your new little one.

I do understand the position you are in and am so glad you are trying to sort the problem....but all 3 snakes need to be in homes of their own - as soon as possible.

I hadnt realised that the anery had already finished its one-week settling in period It is not surprising it is responding the way it is....it must be terrified of you as you are this giant who is going to attack it . Look at this link to see some tips on beginning to handle - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8735

Hope that Mike is able to help you sex them, he certainly has the experience to do so - so listen to any advice he gives you !

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 18/05/2010 02:38:07
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2010 :  10:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey kellog

zebedee is bigger than coraline but the new anery is the biggest of em all...

mrs got her own way as usual anyway and we got a viv from her sister...

as for the smaller snake escaping... she dont go near the glass and really has no intention of escaping lol its just zebedee who wants to be free all time... do u think maybe coraline is dominating him and thats why he tryin to escape ?? :P
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  04:43:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

hey kellog

zebedee is bigger than coraline but the new anery is the biggest of em all...

mrs got her own way as usual anyway and we got a viv from her sister...

as for the smaller snake escaping... she dont go near the glass and really has no intention of escaping lol its just zebedee who wants to be free all time... do u think maybe coraline is dominating him and thats why he tryin to escape ?? :P

Why doesnt it surprise me that Natalie got her way and got the situation sorted ?! I am so pleased (and relieved) to hear it Dean, and I am sure you both are too.

I hadnt realised that your new snake was bigger than Zebedee and Coraline! Guess I just assumed that as you had them first they would be older....wrong! What are the age differences?

I am no expert Dean, but I guess it is something to think about with the fact that it was Zebedee who was always trying to escape....maybe he was feeling dominated and trying to get away, or maybe he is just an escape artist and an adventurer !

Which snake are you going to keep in the big viv? I would suggest you partition it off anyway as it is too big really for such small snakes, even with lots of hides and plants etc for cover. And even if it is not Zebedee in there you need to block up that gap!

I am so pleased things are sorting themselves out - you really have been on a steep learning curve but sounds like you are doing really well for your snakes, which is what is important.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

22 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  09:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah all sorted now so hopefully they all be ok... only problem is our cats hav now started no notice them lmao (dont worry they are perfectly safe)

we hav zeb in the orig big viv that we had em both in...
coraline in the small starter viv that we got zeb in when we got him... (the viv that the new snake was in)
and the new snake is now in the new viv which is same size as zebs
Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  07:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi welcome to the forum

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  11:49:36  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya welcome, hope it all gets sorted out!!! :D
If you haven't got room width wise, try building a stack viv. Very space efficient!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  09:29:05  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome
and very true Mouse

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000