new to corns
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  08:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all great to find this forum .I can see its a great place to get all the help you need and make new corn friends .

I am looking into getting my first corn snake . I am intersted in adopting one with the full set up allready in place .

Is there a site where people advertise there snakes that cannot look after them anymore and want to rehome them ?

Many thanks
littlecorn

Dan-sunkist
Hatchling

Ireland
143 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  10:38:46  Show Profile  Click to see Dan-sunkist's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
welcome to the site.i like your idea of adopting a snake its how we got our first one but i wouldn know where ya could find a site for it as i live in ireland. slao i would be warry about adopting a snake make sure you get the snake checked if ya do to make sure it is in good health.we were lucky our snake came from someone in the family who lost interest but it was looked after very well.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  11:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and Welcome littlecorn- where abouts in the country are you?
There are many rescue centres around!
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  11:03:21  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey welcome to the forum. Are you from the UK? If so you could try preloved, they often have numerous corns for resale wether its because someone has to downsize their collection or its an unwanted gift.

Have you had a look through the care sheet on this site? It will give you all the basic information and set up requirements that you need.
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm

If there is anything you need to know try using the search function on the top right hand side of this page. If you can't find what you're looking for then just put a post up in the relevant section.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 16/05/2010 11:04:10
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  11:06:03  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum..!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  11:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome to the forum. nice to see someone interested in adopting like we did as the mister said above we were lucky. best of luck finding an adopterino snake hope it all works out for ya

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  11:42:40  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  12:06:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Thanks for replies. I am based in the UK in Somerset . I like the Idear of a rehoming a corn as then the owner knows all its habits, eating patterns its mood swings ect . and the set up is all in place that its usto so less stressfull for the snake and a great start for the new owner with a bit of back up from the last owner.

My feeling is that as they live so long there must be many owners that need to rehome there snake life situations do change .

The care sheet info has been excellent I have also ordered a book on owning looking after cornsnakes .

Just a thought, A subforum for rehoming corns on hear might be helpfull for ownerns that need to rehome there snakes . Anyway just Idear,

Thanks Littlecorn

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  15:05:32  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hiya n welcome to the forum

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  15:19:27  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum. This is most definitly the place to be to learn about cornsnakes, it's a brilliant forum. Very friendly and we all try to help each other too. You'll be hard pushed to find a better place!!
There's a website www.reptiletrader.co.uk that you could look on, never used it so have no way of knowing how good or bad it is but might be worth a try. You could try preloved as suggested already. Have you done a google search for your area?
Good luck with your search!! Look forward to seeing pics of your snake when you find one!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  16:14:44  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome. Good luck in your search for a corn. I got my first from a workmate of my sisters who couldn't look after it anymore. My second I got from Preloved. One word of caution I will say is that when snakes are advertised as coming with complete set-up, be sure you check what that includes. Not all people keep snakes to the standards that you may want to and you may end up buying more things.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  18:11:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
there is a section on here for rehoming and selling reptiles, think theres a few up for sale at the moment

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2010 :  18:20:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey there and welcome.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2010 :  04:49:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi littlecorn, it is really good that you have joined us! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . It is so good to have someone join us before they get their corn, so they can find out as much about them as possible and be as prepared as possible before taking on that responsibility !

I took on 2 adult corns and I THINK my OH found them on sites that were called something like Gumtree and PreLoved....but I am not 100% sure. One thing you need to be careful about is that often it will say that it is being sold with a full set-up, but the set-up is not right. My first snake was like that, he came with no heatmat/stat or digital thermometer, only a bulb and dial thermometers halfway up the viv walls (which are useless) and only one hide! So be prepared to have to go out and add whatever is necessary if you do find the snake you want. The great thing about getting adults is the fact that you can be sure of their history, whether they are good feeders, happy to be handled etc - often perfect for a first corn....although some people relish the challenge of a hatchling .

You also need to be a bit wary of some owners, which is why it is so good you are doing the research you are. When I got my 2nd snake he was being kept in terrible conditions by an owner who had kept snakes longer than I had - but couldnt answer half the questions I asked him and couldnt even tell me when Silvesta had last shed or how long he had been on medium mice .

Am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. Danny has already guided you to the best place to look, the care sheet. As you have seen it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

I know this is VERY early advice for you but it is something that is so rarely advised that I think you should be told now ! We always suggest you follow the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!). So when you do finally get your corn, no handling or feeding for the first week to allow it to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. It even applies if the snake has come in its own viv as although its home will be the same, the surrounding environment and smells isnt. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so it can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about your corn not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops or books but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

You will find that unfortunately many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! Danny has guided you to the first place to look, the search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

Hopefully when you get your snake you will be able to get as much info about it as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems, when you do full viv cleans. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You are considering starting down that corn path so be warned!!

I look forward to getting to know you better....and again, well done for trying to do your best for the corn you want by doing all the research you can .

xxx

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  07:33:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi welcome to the forum

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  09:37:01  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome :) preloved.com has a lot of corns that need re-homing... it's so sad...

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  11:14:41  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya and welcome!! :D

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2010 :  09:23:11  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000