New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

simonw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  18:13:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just taken delivery of this and on reading the instructions it says that it will not work properly with a heater under 40 watts. Does anyone use this and have they had any problems with a 20 watt heat mat - (17x11)

Thanks
Simon

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  18:41:32  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't think Dimmer stats work with heat mats... I could be wrong though.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  18:53:36  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
dimmers wont work on mats,there for ceramic or infrared bulbs

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  18:56:44  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Habistat dimmers have a minimum load of 40W, Microclimate dimmers don't.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  18:56:52  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As the others have said lol!!

Edited by - devilsmistress on 14/05/2010 18:57:32
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  19:03:14  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is there anyway you can exchange it for a mat stat or a pulse stat?

Go to Top of Page

simonw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  19:17:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh nuts!
Well I've read on here that people have used dimmers with heat mats, but it may be they were using mats with higher loads (>40 watts).
I'll either exchange it for a pulse (can someone confirm that that will work) or use it for the bulbs I already use.

Thanks Guys
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  19:29:20  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
A pulse works with mats and bulbs (Either IR or ceramic not sure which one) mat stats only work with mats and dimmers only with bulbs.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  20:26:39  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
matt stats are for matts not blulbs as constant flicking on/off would stress animal out..i got pulse and dimmers running on my ceramics now..used pulse and dimmer with IR not so long ago too.. had no issues with any

love my animals more than i like people.
the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
1 m, 4 ft candy cane corn.. aka kellogg..
1 carolina corn-claret/carrot
Newest additon.. f whiteout corn-pastel??
1african house snake - Bob
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  21:39:52  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by punumbear

matt stats are for matts not blulbs as constant flicking on/off would stress animal out..i got pulse and dimmers running on my ceramics now..used pulse and dimmer with IR not so long ago too.. had no issues with any

Nobody said that mat stats are for bulbs...

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  22:05:56  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

used pulse and dimmer with IR not so long ago too.. had no issues with any

Surley a pulse stat would make a IR flicker like mad?

Go to Top of Page

Fal
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  22:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have only used mine with bulbs (didn't work well as it obviously got dimmer and then brighter all the time, verry annoying for us and our beardie) and ceramic heat emitters (which we have used it for mainly), but only 100w and 150w, never tried lower than that. We just have a mat stat for our leopard gecko, corn and king setups and dimmer for the bearded dragon setup becuase he uses ceramic not mat.

Did you buy it off the net? If so, you have 30days to return no questions asked - its the distance selling regulations so you shouldn't have a prob, and if a shop, well they're usually no problem as long as you have your receipt.

Corn Snake - Bella. Bearded Dragon - Draco. Leopard Gecko - Mojo. Cat - Neo. In our family we also have: Cali King Snake, Spiny Flower Mantis (RIP), African Lined Mantis (RIP), Ghost Mantis (RIP), four Hermit Crabs, a Budgy and a Dog - Mystie... oh and a YAMAHA YZF-R1 but she's feeling a bit neglected at the moment :(
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  22:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:

Nobody said that mat stats are for bulbs...

I think she was saying thats why you dont use mat stats for bulbs.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  22:36:23  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

I've had a heatlamp go like a disco light before.
They don't last long.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  22:40:31  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lights being on anyway at night are annoying enough without them flickering. I would hate to think what a light on a mat stat would be like, the flashing light from the pulse stats heating my mats is annoying enough that I had to cover it up with blue tac.

The pulse works great, specially inside the viv. A bit of fiddling to do when using it outside with rub's.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2010 :  23:15:02  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

I've had a heatlamp go like a disco light before.
They don't last long.

I just had images of beardies having a little party lol.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  04:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I got Silvesta he came with a heatmat and a dimmer stat. Now I have no idea about what watt the heatmat is but have found that it works absolutely fine, holding the heat steady at around 27.5oC. I have since been told that dimmers dont work with heatmats but I seem to be proving this wrong. (I think the size of the mat affects the wattage, so to give you some idea it is for an adult snake so in a big viv - approx 3.5' x 1.5' - and the mat covers the required one-third of the floor area)

Kellog is now in that viv and when I came to redo his old viv to put Silvesta in I bought a new mat and stat....but went with the pulse stat because of the concerns that had been raised, and there have been no problems with that either.

(both habistat ones)

xxx

Go to Top of Page

simonw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  07:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all. I feel I should clarify why I bought this model as it was not an accident.

I read on hear that people were using it for mats. (not you lot clearly :) )

I wanted a stat that I could use for bulbs, mats and for in an incubator.

Do you all agree (thanks Kellog) that a pulse will serve me best? I already know the on off mat stat is not going to work with bulbs.
I am experimenting with the move to mats for all three vivs which have previously been dimmed bulbs but will only go that way if I see any improvement in behaviour of the test case ( which already seems fine btw)

Simon
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  07:33:52  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I used to use bulbs :p I am still a bit worried about the mats specially when they go all hyperactive but it makes it easier for me to sleep at night. I can't really compare as I have only used pulse but they work great inside the viv. For RUB's I'm still tweaking but yeh XD

Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  08:14:51  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Lee i had my two biggest corns on IR using dimmers, before changing over to ceramics no problems what so ever.. the pulse is minute changes to the temp and adjusts light n heat accordingly.. ya dont notice the diff unless ya look at therm for reading.I noticed more of the pulsing at night cause the vivs are about 2ft from my bed but even then it was still nothing to keep ya awake or stress the snake out.Danny easy tiger(thanks hillzi).. i never said matt stats were for bulbs either.. i just know of some who have used them n then wonder why their animal never leaves the hide..!!!!I chose now to put all adults on ceramics as i noticed the IR wear out quite quick... the young corns will stay on heat matts with mat stats.... if they upgrade then ill use ceramic or repti rad with dimmer or pulse.

love my animals more than i like people.
the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
1 m, 4 ft candy cane corn.. aka kellogg..
1 carolina corn-claret/carrot
Newest additon.. f whiteout corn-pastel??
1african house snake - Bob
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2010 :  11:00:16  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Danny easy tiger(thanks hillzi).. i never said matt stats were for bulbs either.. i just know of some who have used them n then wonder why their animal never leaves the hide..!!!!

Ahh sorry, the way it was worded was as if somebody had previously stated that they were.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 15/05/2010 11:00:30
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page