Strike One
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  23:33:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Ketchup was in a proper mood today - really jumpy and bit me. The first bite was just a nip, I hardly knew it had happened and just ignored it - but she obviously meant it as I carried on moving her away from the viv she really opened her mouth wide and struck!!
It didn't really hurt and I just sat peacefully with her for a while making sure I was calm and after a while of her being quiet I put her back - I do feel a bit phased though - what reasons could there be for this "bad mood"? I know I'll be quite nerous next time I take her out !

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  23:59:42  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How old is she? Sometimes if a snake is asleep and you pick them up instead of scoop them up they think your a predator. You could try holding your hand out to her to sort of wake her up and let her know it's you before you handle although some snakes are just moody :/

Did she draw blood?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  00:27:26  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
To be honest, now that you've been tagged and know it doesn't hurt like you think it would then surely that should ease your nervousness.
Just think about how little it hurt when it last bit you, and your nervousness will be less than you realise.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  06:32:13  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Kehhlyr makes a very good point, now that you know it dosn't hurt you won't be as nervous. But i have to say sometimes when they strike at you it can give you a little shock.

There are many reasons why he could have struck at you.

How old is your snake, and how long have you had him?

I ask because young snakes can be quite nervous and skittish, there reaction to this is to lash out in defense. This is also more likely if you havn't had him for long and he has yet to recognise that you are not a threat.

My brothers snake still strikes untill you get him out of his faun, he calms down then but we've had him like 2 and half months now.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  19:07:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My snake bit me once and it was quite a shock! But once I had got him out of the viv he was fine.
Try not to be nervous next time as you just need to think of how it didn't hurt like everyone else has said.Otherwise if you are unsure and keep flinching away you could seem like a bird or predator and she might strike again. You need to be sure and certain and not give her the satisfaction of getting away with it!

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  20:08:40  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AngelX

Otherwise if you are unsure and keep flinching away you could seem like a bird or predator and she might strike again.

The snake dosn't strike when you flinch because it thinks your a preator.

The reason it strikes in the first place is because it feels you are a threat or a predator. If you then flinch it strikes again because your reaction from the strike was to move back, therefore the snake things when it strikes you back off and will leave it alone.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

AngelX
Hatchling

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  20:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woops!! That's what I got told!
Lol :)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  22:22:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all yr brilliant advice -
Ketchup is about 3+ years old but I've only had her for about a month
On reflection I think I probably woke her up and in trying to not flinch when she's skittish I picked her up too quickly without enough warning. Once she'd bitten the first time there was bound to have been some kind of micro reaction from me - sweat and vibes etc - which could have induced her to strike again - and she certainly meant it the second time.
The nervousness is not to do with pain but, I suspect, an inborn fear of being bitten by a snake! - I'm also ****ed off with her - ha - how dare she bite me!! :)
She's been buried in her hide all day today and I haven't taken her out - tomorrow's another day
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  22:28:00  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It could just be that she wasn't handled regularly by a previous owner, but without knowing the previous owner you never know.

She will calm down soon.

Has she struck at you before in the month you have had her? If not is there any chance that she may be coming upto a shed?

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  23:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Danny,

I don't think she's about to shed, her eyes are clear and she shed just b4 i got her ('bout a month ago)

No she's not struck b4, she rattled once at the beginning but I just went slowly and she was fine - this time I lifted the lid of her hide and picked her up almost immediately which is why I think I woke her and just went too fast!
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  23:04:56  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thats probably it mate. Casper has struck at me before when i have lifted her hide up.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

17 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2010 :  23:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Sta~ple, she did draw blood the second time - she really opened her mouth wide and dug in, tail rattling etc - she was CROSS!!
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  09:53:37  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hehehe, you can imagine exactly what they'd say if they were human when they rattle at you!! :D
(maybe that's just me though!)

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  12:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been away for a few days and only just caught up with this thread, sorry. I think what you have said is right, you probably scared Ketchup by not giving her any warning that you were coming. I sometimes have to get my snakes out of their hides to handle them but I always make sure that I fiddle with the substrate and tap the hide gently before lifting it....this just lets them know you are there. I then wait a little bit after removing the hide before I pick them up, so they know what is coming.

As said, at least now you know what a tag feels like and that it is something not to be scared about....and you are right in that the 2nd tag was probably down to the vibes you were sending out without even meaning to as it was a shock.

Just go in more carefully next time and give her time to realise you are there and going to pick her up....and hopefully you wont have a repeat of what happened!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  16:20:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im lucky so far i aint been tagged but my hatchling and my king snake have gave me a good tail rattle if i startle them when they do this i just leave them for an hour or so. But i reacon yours just got spooked

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  17:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My fella's used to the hide being lifted off, and theres a plant leaf which kinda covers him, so I got some defence is goes batty, but yeah, I'd say you just startled her.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  18:55:41  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jayemsee

Yes Sta~ple, she did draw blood the second time - she really opened her mouth wide and dug in, tail rattling etc - she was CROSS!!

Haha sorry I just pictures a snake hanging off your hand with a cross face and eyebrows to go with it XD

If you have only had her a month that's probably why she's a bit moody and of course she may not be used to people.

I still get rattled at and bit at while mini moody snake is out. Eventually you'll probably find that if you just lift the hide and pick them up they are fine, that's what I can do with my adults now anyway.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000