Reunited with escaped snake...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  14:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, long time lurker first time poster here...

After having found my snake (figured out how he escaped and have taken measures to prevent it happening again) I've given him a mouse (which he took) and got him back in his terrarium but I have two questions:

1: He was being really aggressive and striking at me when I first found him, which according to what I've read is really unusual for cornsnakes and he was never aggressive like that before. Is this normal for cornsnakes that have been escaped for awhile? I'm planning to do the '7 day rule' thing with him before trying to handle him again, will his aggressiveness subside during that period?

2: The place I found him was out in my back garden, I've replaced the usual substrate I use (aspen) with white kitchen paper so I can keep an eye on any parasites he might have picked up. Are there any other measures I should take to ensure he stays healthy?

He's fairly small and only a couple of months old, if that helps. If you need any more info from me please ask.

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  14:36:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hiya solo
glad to see you were reunited with your snake. we had a rat snake when i was younger that escaped a few times when she was found each time she was a small bit aggressive but it did subside again. one think i would say is maybe it would be good to check for any possible cuts or such after his adventure. hope all is good with him and he returns to his old self soon :D

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  14:40:56  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello :)

It's common for a snakes being young and small to be aggressive. I would put it down t him being an escapee for a while and maybe being a bit frightened or thinking that your fingers were food. It might subside a bit but don't be scared if he still displays this behaviour for a while, I'm sure it's nothing regular handling won't cure :)

Your very lucky to have found him again then if he was in your garden. Apart from clean water and food I'm sure that will keep him healthy :) If your worried about parasites, I would use some disposable or washable hidey places rather than anything fancy and natural.

I bet you can't wait until next week to handle him again :)

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 08/05/2010 14:42:36
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  17:06:10  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How long was the snake missing for?

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  17:24:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was out for at least 4 or 5 weeks, I don't know if that whole time was spent outside, and I'm not even sure how he found his way outside considering I keep him in my computer room all the way up in the loft conversion. I'm just glad my mum discovered him before my cat did. Don't even want to think about how it would have turned out if he was discovered in a neighbours garden instead.

Anyway, thanks for the replies, he seems way too aggressive to get a proper look at him to check for cuts right now and I don't want to stress him out any further till his 7 days are up, but he appeared to be okay when I looked at him through his RUB and if he was energetic enough to strike at me then I guess he can't be all that lethargic.

Edited by - n/a on 08/05/2010 17:28:38
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  17:27:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh solo they manage it. out one end up 12 houses down coming up someone toilet

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  18:47:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he has been outside it might be worth a faecal checkup for parasites, some can only be seen with a microscope.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  10:18:26  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Glad he's back! :D

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  15:09:40  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Glad hes back , I would just keep an eye on him to make sure he has no mites keep him on the paper towel for a few weeks.

Due to him having eascaped and him defending for him self and not being handled for 4 to 5 weeks this is why he may be a little aggresive , But this can be cured by regular handling after he has settled and he should calm down.

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

8 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  21:44:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update:

I had to break the 7 day rule today and put him in his RUB for a few mins while I replaced his kitchen paper 'cause he crapped all over it, and while he was pretty jumpy (as usual) he didn't try to strike at me, so that seems to have worked out okay. I was gonna try handling him a bit but didn't want to push my luck. No apparrent sign of mites on him and I can't see any scratches or other injuries. Seems he's back to his old self again. Hopefully he's gonna be okay.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2010 :  22:27:30  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hehe don't worry about that. It's nice to know that he's fine so far though.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2010 :  05:33:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it really is a case of going back to the beginning with handling him. Just start gently and calmly, try not to react if he strikes at you, be confident (or fake being confident) and keep handling times to 5 mins to begin with, slowly building them up - just as you would with a hatchling.

He needs to learn to trust you again and who knows what he has been through in the time he has been out, so it will take time to repair that damage.

I would certainly recommend that you weigh him when you can and keep an eye on his weight gain as he eats - if he isnt putting on weight then it is a sign he may have picked up some parasites. Other than a trip to the vets I am not sure how else you could tell....

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000