New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  04:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am confused! Kellog is horny and hasnt eaten now since 26th March, so just a month (3 feeds refused as being fed fortnightly). In that time he has lost 23g....which I am not worried about at all, he could do with losing the weight.

What is confusing me is that he has gone blue again having only shed a month ago. When I got him a year ago he was shedding approximately every 6 weeks and that has slowly lengthened to 8 weeks and his last shed was 11 weeks....he shed on the 24th March, a totally clean shed. He did go dull coloured about a week before he went blue and then it was a very fast process between that and him shedding. I noticed on Monday that he was going dull, got him out on Tuesday to handle him and his eyes are cloudy. I had hoped he was coming out of his horny behaviour as he was not as active and was hiding....but now I know why.

So....is it something I should be worried about? Do corns shed because they have lost weight? (although his weight loss is minimal) Could the shed be a sign he is coming out of the mating season? Why?????

xxx

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  09:08:20  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i had the same kellogg.... er kellogg started eating after horny season.. but still shed after weightloss and not feeding.. so dunno maybe its just another typically annoying male trait to deal with.. bloody men so damn awkward..!!!!!1 lol

love my animals more than i like people.
the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
1 m, 4 ft candy cane corn.. aka kellogg..
1 carolina corn-claret/carrot
Newest additon.. f whiteout corn-pastel??
1african house snake - Bob
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  10:36:19  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
bloody men so damn awkward

lol 4 defo haha

max is the same although not in shed but he still horny he hasnt eaten 4 3months i think were on now but he sowly showing interest woop woop

but i would imagine they would shed if not eating and lost weight shikira did and she didnt eat 4 about 6months i think it was

but i wouldnt worry hun yano thats what kellog probs want ya 2 do hehe (like most snakes)

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  17:38:05  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Darn it I wish Venom would become horny and stop eating, he needs to loose the weight desperatly.

I hope he eats soon for you though Kellog.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2010 :  12:31:09  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i think the most likely reasons are all the body systems running at 10 to the dozen with him being much more active, or as a result of some minor self-injury such as bruising if he's fallen off a ledge or branch as he's been frantically cruising his viv for girls lol

would also be worth double checking for mites tho...

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  04:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

i think the most likely reasons are all the body systems running at 10 to the dozen with him being much more active, or as a result of some minor self-injury such as bruising if he's fallen off a ledge or branch as he's been frantically cruising his viv for girls lol

would also be worth double checking for mites tho...

Thanks GP, no sign of mites....already thought of that one as been there and done that! Didnt think it could be as there hasnt been any chance of contact with anything infested with mites.

As far as I know he doesnt have any injuries, certainly no signs of one, and I havent seen him fall at all....although he could obviously have done something at night (although I am up a lot of the night) and the injury may not show....

Guess it is just a case of wait and see, I know I shouldnt worry but I do.....

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  06:02:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Kellog shed yesterday - full shed with a few rips (and done in the few minutes I was out of the room) and he is immediately back to his horny behaviour....so I guess my theory about this being a sign of him coming out of the breeding season is wrong .

I did begin to wonder whether it is the fact that he has been moved on to hemcore since the last shed....whether that has caused him to shed early, although he shows no signs of anything being wrong with his scales etc. He seems perfectly healthy. I guess I will just have to wait and see when he sheds next....

xxx

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  13:43:13  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the change in substrate shouldn't be causing him to shed more frequently, if you'd changed to something like un-baked orchid bark i might be different though lol

i'm regularly hearing and seeing my boys fall off ledges and decor as they cruise round trying to get to the girls, it's not as funny as when my royal used to fall though

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2010 :  17:05:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gingerpony

it's not as funny as when my royal used to fall though

lol only thing q has done that make me giggle was he missed his rat and headbutted his log and his hide at the same time..bless him

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000