New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MarkSue
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  22:39:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, im getting a bit of a worry on now. I got my corns 2 weeks ago and the day i got them they where due a feed. I was told that they have just gone on to fuzzies and they took them quite easy the previous saturday. Thinking about it i should have waited till they had been fed before i took them, but hay, i was excited and wanted to get them home. Iv tried feeding them several times since but they just wont eat, they strike ok but then let go and slip away. So by my maths thats 3 weeks without feeding, if the info i was given is correct. Could it be that they still need pinkies as the mice do look a bit big for them. They seem fine in any other way, slithering about and climbing ect ect, i even caught 2 of them having a quick bath lastnight. Also all 3 have shed since iv had them.
Thanks for any advice.
Mark.

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  03:33:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can understand why you are worried Mark. Did you follow the one-week no handling rule to let them settle in? What are their temps, viv set-ups? How old are they and do you know what sex they are? Do you feed them in their vivs? How often are they feeding? How long have they been on fuzzies?

Sorry for all the questions, but to be able to try and work out what is going on then as much info as possible will help.

I know that Kiyo and Nori are housed together, so it may be that the stress of that is stopping them feeding.

Their normal feeding pattern will most likely have been interrupted by them shedding. Some corns do feed while they are 'blue' but others dont, so that may be a reason for them missing a feed. Have you tried feeding them since they shed? Did you warm the fuzzie up?

I would certainly suggest that for your next feed you try giving them a couple of pinkies and see if they will take those, but I am no expert and I am sure someone will be along soon to give you a better answer.

I know 3 weeks seems a long time for them to go without feeding, but corns can go a long time without it being a problem....so try not to worry too much while we try and figure out what is going on.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 29/04/2010 04:03:47
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  10:05:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything Kellog has said is spot on.

I will stress the point about co-habiting, especially with young snakes, and would strongly recommend you split them up and get them re-settled before attempting to feed again.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  18:57:03  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

I will stress the point about co-habiting, especially with young snakes, and would strongly recommend you split them up and get them re-settled before attempting to feed again.

ditto

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  19:12:09  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

ditto

^^

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

MarkSue
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  20:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, iv tried again today with pinkies but no luck. Every thing else seems fine with them, they are exploring all round trying to escape and quite happy to be handled.I have`nt got any scales but they are approx 20inch long and about 1/2 inch wide. Dont know what sex they are and im not really sure how old they are. The fella i got them from had them for 3 months.

The housing issue is being sorted as quickly as possible. Still waiting on a few things that need delivering as my local pet shop just has basic stuff .

I must admit i did`nt leave them a week before handling as i did`nt know .
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  21:07:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've no idea if this will help as i'm pretty new to being a snake-keeper myself. However when you try a feed how do you warm up the food???

I always leave the fuzzy out at room temp for about 2 hours then warm it up with a hair dryer. When the fuzzy felt warmish i would then temp Eugene with it. Sometimes he would come along and put his mouth around it for a few seconds and then let go and totally ignore it.

I then started to warm the fuzzy up so it was really hot to touch and then leave it for 30 seconds or so to cool down, and then feed him, that way the insides of the fuzzy are still warm.

I'm only throwing this out there as i'm wondering whether once your snakey's bite on the prey they realise that the insides are still cold and the snake doesnt think it is actually prey. No doubt one of the more experienced keepers will tell me if i'm totally off track with this though. Great bunch of people using this site and i've learnt so much from them.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  21:18:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The housing issue is being sorted as quickly as possible. Still waiting on a few things that need delivering as my local pet shop just has basic stuff .
quote:

Can't you put a divider in to keep them a part?
If they are both males housed together that could be 1 of a few reasons why they are off their food.

You can't tell if a Snake is stressed because it is moving around either. I would say the only real way of telling is going off food.

Go to Top of Page

MarkSue
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  22:04:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich78

quote:

quote:

Can't you put a divider in to keep them a part?
If they are both males housed together that could be 1 of a few reasons why they are off their food.

You can't tell if a Snake is stressed because it is moving around either. I would say the only real way of telling is going off food.

That did cross my mind so iv put a bit of card in for now, the one thats on his own is`nt eating either.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2010 :  04:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so glad you have put the cardboard up to separate them and I do hope that the stuff you are waiting for arrives soon.

Rich is right in what he says - although their behaviour may seem fine to you....it could actually be a sign of stress, especially added together with their being off their food.

When you say that they are trying to escape....do you mean that they are very active and almost 'climbing the walls' of the viv? Is the other snake doing the same? I dont remember how old they are and also dont know at what age breeding behaviour starts....but it is that season and their behaviour sounds very similar to how Silvesta is at the moment, not eating and constantly trying to escape. It is just a suggestion....

Have a look at this thread to see if any of the suggestions help to encourage them to feed - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3720

xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2010 :  09:03:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are their temps ok? are they due a shed?

when they have been separated give them a week to settle in - no handling/feeding nothing just water changes, there wouldnt be any harm in getting them some pinkies and giving them one to start with and then giving two before moving them up to fuzzies

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000