Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 has my snake got a problem? please help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  19:58:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello there,

i have a 5 year old corn snake, who was given to me by a friend who left the country.

I feed him mice one a week - one a fortnight, he has a big wooden tank with heat mat at one end and log and lamp.

He has been fine for the past year, but this week he is obsessed with trying to escape, he pushes against the glass and makes a lot of noise almost all day long, he has been fed, he isn't hot or cold i don't think, he just keeps on pushing and keeping me awake, like a mad thing, he used to curl up for sleep, but now he just wears himself out until it looks like he has collapsed, i dont know what to do, it's scaring me now, he looks crazy and i feel so unhappy for him.

Any suggestions would be great, please help if you can, i don't like thinking he is unhappy, and i can't sleep!!!

he's been fine in there for a year, and now he seems very unhappy.

what do i do?

many Thanks,
Ellie

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  20:12:32  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Might be he's trying to get out and find a female...tis the breeding season! Those with more experience than me may have lots of other suggestions too.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  20:15:45  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sounds like breeding season behaviour. Has he gone off his food at all?

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  22:39:07  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hang a towel or something over the front of the viv, he could be having designs on you.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  05:34:16  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's totally normal at this time of year for males to behave in this way. He wants a girlfriend

but he should calm down as the season wears on, so do not worry too much. Just look out for any wounds from rubbing too much while trying to get out.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  05:57:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What everyone has said is right Ellie. I went through this with Kellog when I first got him. He refused his first feed with me and was doing exactly what yours is - climbing the viv walls! That was when I found this forum and they explained what was going on. They definitely kept me sane while I drove them crazy....and they havent been able to get rid of me since.

Dont be surprised if yours goes off his food, he is more interested in mating than eating. Kellog went for 13 weeks behaving like that and then suddenly one morning he fed and started behaving like a normal corn would, which shocked me!

The advice I was given was to keep treating him as you would normally. Offer him food on his normal feeding day, if he doesnt take it then leave it in the viv and if it is still there throw it away in the morning. If he isnt eating it is a good idea to start to weigh him just so you can keep any eye on any sudden drops in weight. Make sure that his viv is escape proof and that the doors are always tightly shut - he is wanting to escape and find a female so will try anything! Other than that just handle him as normal and try not to worry (very easy to type and hard to do....I know!)

I am back there again, almost exactly a year later, except now I have 2 snakes doing it!

Kaz - Kellog's nose looks as though it could be going a bit red from rubbing against the glass....anything I can do?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  10:35:17  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Gobo did the same thing. Although interestingly he calmed down and was fine, then a few days ago started going a bit bonkers again. Oddball! :D

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: