Hi there!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  18:13:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there my name is martin but people just call me parker, i got my first snake on friday it is a snow corn snake, im not sure if its male or female (so any help there would be great).
Ive always wanted a snake ever since i was a kid now ive got one im happy

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  18:16:35  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello Martin and welcome to the forum..!
Tell us a little more about your corn..
How old is it? Have you named it yet?
Oh, and we definetely need pics..!
Feel free to ask anything and remember that no question is silly!

Electra
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  18:20:52  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi
Welcome to the forum.
When you've gone through the week settling in period, with no handling, we would love to see photos of your snake.
What's his/her name? Any idea how old? We're very nosey on here and like to know as much as possible!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  18:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
look forwards to the pics after the settling in period

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  18:51:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by herriotfan

Hi
Welcome to the forum.
When you've gone through the week settling in period, with no handling, we would love to see photos of your snake.
What's his/her name? Any idea how old? We're very nosey on here and like to know as much as possible!!

should i not handle my corn for a week?
no idea how old 1.5 ft long and no idea what to call it, its not told me its name and i dont now how to tell sex on a snake
Go to Top of Page

Sizzlesmum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  19:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome

It's best to leave them to settle for a week before handling, it's hard to do but best for the snake

Look forward to seeing the pics and finding out what you decide to call him/her.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  19:21:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a week it is then its only a few more days but "snow" does like to motor about the vivarium, think she/he cant wait to get out ill go dig out my camera and snap away and put them on
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  19:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello and welcome
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  19:27:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
snow will need feeding no friday will that be a problem
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  19:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey parker welcome to the forum,

feeding on Friday is fine

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  20:04:56  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Don't worry about feeding on Friday, snake can wait til the whole week is up. Have you also been told the rule about not handling for 48 hours after a feed too!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  20:40:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Martain as herriotfan says dont handle for 48hrs after feeding.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  03:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Parker, it is really good that you have joined us! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know...but it is better heard twice than not at all.

Am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

I am not surprised you werent told about the one-week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!), it is a rather important piece of information that pet shops tend to omit telling people but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you! It just allows 'snow' to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so it can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about your corn not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake. I would definitely wait until 'snow' has had the full week before feeding again, just to be sure.

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

Hopefully when you got 'snow' you were able to get as much info about it as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Pics have already been demanded and this link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have waited since you were a kid and now you have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

I look forward to getting to know you and 'snow' better. This link has a few names that may give you some ideas - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6673&SearchTerms=Snake+names

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 27/04/2010 03:49:27
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

419 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  10:54:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi & welcome to the forum

0.1.0 Crested Gecko: Keiko
2.1.0 Corn Snakes: Picollo, Morph, Sookie
0.1.0 Royal Python: Luna
0.0.1 Pueblan Milk Snake: Chilli
2.4.0 Leopard Geckos: Cleo, Echo, Tiffin, Roley, Scarlett, Ludwig
1.0.0 Understanding Boyfriend: Nick

www.vickyexotics.webs.com

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  15:13:48  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya and welcome

i wanted a snake when i was younger too but now i'm glad my parents said no - i get so much out of my reps now, i think i'd have just 'grown out' of them as a child/teenager lol

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

44 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  16:02:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum

and ill echo everone else - Pics as soon as you can!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000