Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  16:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just gone to get my corn snake out and its gone do not know how the top of the tank fits soild on top no gaps but it has gone was in there this morning but not no more so were would the snake hide if it got out any ideas

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  17:04:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
start from near the faun/viv and look for anywhere warm - plug sockets are a common place aswell as wrapped around the back of tv's ect, i know someone found their snake inside their computer before
put flour down on the floor (or talcum powder) and it will show you if hes been active at all,
also look high aswell as low - corns are good climbers given the chance!
this will help you make some bottle traps to try and catch him with
http://www.thekingsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=263

have you definately checked through all the substrate/inside all the hides ect.. people have often found their snake curled up in all the substrate wondering what all the fuss is about before!!

hope you find him soon

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  18:25:49  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I echo what Hannah said. I bet and really hope!) he's snuggled up in the substrate somewhere.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  18:28:22  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if he's out then most likely somewhere warm, dark and tight.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  18:29:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no mate it is not in the substrate gone through it with my fingers the lid is soild on top no gaps and it a heavy lid so i do not know how it has got out
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  18:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just behind its tank the hot water heating pipes come down the wall but they are boxed in how long would you give it to you see signs of it
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

81 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  21:15:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when mine have escaped i tend to find them in the tightest places it can possibly find where its dark

1.0 butter motley, 0.1 anerythristic, 1.1 reverse okeetee, 0.1 caramel, 1.1 creamsicle, 1.0 normal, 1.0 Lavender, 0.1 Amber, 0.1 Classic stripe, 1.0 Blizzard, 0.1 Amel, 0.1 Snow, 1.0 Rootbeer, 0.1 Charcoal, 1.1 Nelsons Milk Snake, 0.1 Brazillian Rainbow Boa, 0.1 royal python, 0.1 boa constrictor, 1.1 ribbon snake, 0.1 ornate flying snake,0.l leopard gecko, 1.0 Central American Banded Gecko, 3.2 cats

Wish list:-tessera, amel stripe, caramel motley, candy cane, loves okeetee......
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  21:53:27  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is there any way you can get into the water pipes boxing....ideal hide with it being dark and warm? Might be worth a look.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  04:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Neil, I am so sorry that your corn is missing....you have had him such a short time . Corn snakes are amazingly hardy so can survive under difficult circumstances, so dont panic (easily said I know).

HannahB has given you some good tips as have the others. I made some notes using info I have read on here about finding lost corns, just in case mine ever got out....so it will repeat some of what has just been said, but here it is -

To start trying to find it - when you look for it start from the very top. Ceiling. Start slowly come down from there to top of lampshades if any, down electric wires, anything that dangles from the ceiling. Then you choose the least cluttered wall and start to go down it methodically. If there are shelves, everything comes off them and only gets put back once it's been inspected, books opened, etc. If there are cupboards, the drawers come out completely, and if possibly, the cupboard or closet gets pulled away from the wall so the area behind it can be searched too. The frame of mind is to inspect every surface no matter how unlikely. The floor and any object on it gets done last, and any carpets would get their underside inspected too if possible. If still no go, then go under the floorboards.For those awkward places with the pipes then you can get a good torch and a mirror, so you can inspect the hidden areas. Apart from "every surface" also think as if you are looking for something much smaller e.g. think you're looking for a contact lense. Check near any heat sources - near radiators, pipes, in the oven, the washer, behind the fridge, computer leads, behind tv, sterio, boiler...they will search out heat.

Do any of your seats/sofas have holes in that it could have got into?

Make sure you check all clothing, towels etc...especially dirty stuff about to go in the washing machine...one forum member nearly sent her escaped snake for a wet wash.

I know you double checked the tank, but there was good reason for HannahB and Herriotfan to suggest you do it again. A few forum members have thought their snakes lost but then discovered them buried in substrate. One totally emptied his viv, no snake...but then discovered her curled up under the branch in a really tiny hole.

Try putting the tank on the floor near a dish of water, it may decide to come home by itself. You must put a number of water dishes down cos a snake can go for a long time without food but not long without water.

You could try turning down the heat in the rest of the house and turning it up in the room you hope your snake is in. Also you could try putting the heatmat in a corner with a towel over it and pillows round it, to give it somewhere warm and safe to hide.

I have heard of owners sitting up all night in case the missing snake puts in an appearance, which may be an idea for you to try. Try putting bits of foil or crumpled wrapping paper along skirting boards cos the snake will move along the edge of the room and hopefully you will then hear it move.

When was it last fed? It is worthwhile putting a bottle trap out. HannahB has given you the link for how to make one. Dont leave a pinky in a bottle trap for more than 24hrs...throw it away. Wait a few days and then try again.

If it was fed recently then put down some boxes like empty cereal boxes in warm place's, it'll be looking for a warm secure place to digest. You can use covered hot water bottles to offer extra warm places for it to go.

Put flour across doorways so you can see slither marks which will show the snake is around and whether it has gone into or out of a room.
Some people suggest you put sticky tape down to try and 'catch' the snake, but this can be very dangerous to them and I would seriously advise against it.

These are some examples of where people have found their snakes - in a box file of paperwork, behind books on a shelf, on a bathroom shelf, curled up in-between plugs in a 4 point adaptor and in their granddad's room in his towel basket as he got out a towel to have a shower! One forum member's OH opened the living room window, pulled the curtain cos of the sun, they heard a thud, thought it was a candle falling over, so didn't take any notice and a few minutes later the snake appeared trying to climb up the wall.

Hope some of this helps (and much thanks to other forum members for their tips 'borrowed').

The main thing is not to give up hope....snakes have gone missing for days, weeks, even months and still turned up healthy and happy. Please let us know if there are any signs and how you are doing - we worry !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  05:43:41  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great post Kellogg

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  11:24:43  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good luck mate! (Found mine in a mop bucket (with mop in) :D) I'm sure it'll all be ok!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  11:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

Great post Kellogg

Thanks Kaz....was really only a case of gathering all the suggestions made by other forum members on here, but so necessary I think as sometimes it helps to have a plan to follow when you are really worried about your lost snake. And it also gives some examples of just how hardy corns are and that Neil mustnt give up hope.

Just wish I could do more to help....

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  17:12:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the top has no stiffener on the sides then they tend to push until their head is through then they are off.
Do you have any shelves above the Viv?
I have found Tango on the top shelf behind the books both times he got out.

Go to Top of Page

Sizzlesmum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  19:46:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear your snake has gone missing. Hope you find him/her soon.

We found Sizzle in my daughter's dressing gown pocket which was hanging behind her bedroom door.

Good luck!!!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  08:31:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks to all but hunted high and low still not sign so i have put my 2 heat mats on the floor with it hide on them so see if it ends up in them its just wait and see now might come out whenit needs a feed its been 10 days since its last feed now
Go to Top of Page

hayleyb93
Hatchling

United Kingdom
285 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  10:50:13  Show Profile  Visit hayleyb93's Homepage  Click to see hayleyb93's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I found mine under my pillow a week after he got out, a man I know found his in the graveyard near his house. I hope you find it soon, it's not fun loosing a snake :'[

1.0.0 Snow Corn: Skittles
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon: Edd
1.0.0 Dog: Oscar
0.0.1 African Mantis: Mildred
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  12:10:33  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

Great post Kellogg

Thanks Kaz....was really only a case of gathering all the suggestions made by other forum members on here, but so necessary I think as sometimes it helps to have a plan to follow when you are really worried about your lost snake. And it also gives some examples of just how hardy corns are and that Neil mustnt give up hope.

Just wish I could do more to help....

xxx

Only thing I can think of that you missed was Luck. I think luck goes a long way when finding a missing snake

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2010 :  12:50:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neil - really sorry to hear that your little one has escaped. I know from first hand experience how distressing this can be but I second everything that kellog has said. (and the luck bit from Kaz!)
Don't give up hope - our Bubbles escaped last August whilst "holidaying" with the neighbours and finally came home after 7 months, perfectly fit & well. Just keep looking, use flour and bottle traps and make sure you keep water down until he turns up.
Good luck
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  03:39:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by abbiegreenleaf

Don't give up hope - our Bubbles escaped last August whilst "holidaying" with the neighbours and finally came home after 7 months, perfectly fit & well. Just keep looking, use flour and bottle traps and make sure you keep water down until he turns up.
Good luck

Must add your story to my notes Abbie, really shows people how corns can survive and return despite being missing for months.....

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

44 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  14:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
any sign of the little houdini yet neilkath? hoping he puts in appearance soon!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2010 :  19:54:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no mate done the flour and the traps are make and will go down tonight will see what happends
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000