Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake - General Keeping information
 How often do you handle your corn snake?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2010 :  20:47:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just curious as to how often everyone handle's there corn?
I hold my corn every day unless obviously it's been eating, i leave it for etleest 24 hours and if it's shedding i let it rest. so i possibly hold mine about 4 times a week and thanks to that it's very use to being handled.

Also, i'm just wandering, do you handle older snakes more or younger snakes?
sometimes i feel like i over handle my snake but i guess i'm just addicted to my little Ripley :P hehe

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2010 :  20:53:21  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You shouldleave them for 48 hours after a feed.

This topic has popped up a couple of times before but i handle mine pretty much everyday accept for 48 hours after a feed and during shedding.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

punumbear
Hatchling

United Kingdom
483 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2010 :  20:57:25  Show Profile  Click to see punumbear's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
my carolina(sub adult) gets handled twice a week of a morning as ya cant get him out for love nor money in the eve.my big corn(adult) maybe 2-3 times aweek and chills in the hood of me jacket,my royal(sub adult) 2-3 times a week, the anery(sub adult) 3-4 times a week as shes a lil love bless her,the lil ones(hatchling) funs n games have only just begun.. only been with me a week so plenty of time yet.

love my animals more than i like people.
the gang
1 ridgeback
2 kids
1 anery-lil aney
1 m, 4 ft candy cane corn.. aka kellogg..
1 carolina corn-claret/carrot
Newest additon.. f whiteout corn-pastel??
1african house snake - Bob
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2010 :  21:06:54  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I handle Spaghettino every day except when being fed and 48 hours after that!
That's my goal, but sometimes Spaghettino doesn't wanna get out to play..!
Such a lazy little guy!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

15 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2010 :  21:07:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

You shouldleave them for 48 hours after a feed.

This topic has popped up a couple of times before but i handle mine pretty much everyday accept for 48 hours after a feed and during shedding.

Yh some you need to, my Corn i had when i was younger needed 48 hours else he would regurgitate. This young one i have is fine after 24 hours, i just make sure he has pooped and the lump has gone in his belly before i handle him again.

And sorry about that, i'm new to this forum so just asking questions that i don't know if have been asked before.
Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2010 :  21:09:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine get handled when I want to. I dont handle 48 hours after feeding mind.

If my big corn is warm theres no way your'e gonna get him out without him going nuts, but wer'e working on it, he gets handled 3-4 times a week for 15=20 mins a time, same with my other corn snake. had him out today, and he's in blue. Both snakes let me handle them in blue.
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2010 :  21:09:13  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Apart from the 48hours after feeding I handle Sidney a couple of times every day. Bless him, he's so laid back and he loves being out with me. I find it it very theraputic having Sidney slithering about. He has a very calming influence. I love my little snake to bits :x

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2010 :  21:09:20  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Every day unless I have a a ton of work to do then not so much until it gets to render time then I handle them in-between them.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2010 :  21:09:56  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Roseanna

And sorry about that, i'm new to this forum so just asking questions that i don't know if have been asked before.

Don't worry, no question is stupid! But before you open a new topic, make sure you have searched the older ones. The search button is up on the right. Sorry if i say things that you already know.
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2010 :  21:13:21  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My snakes often have no lump after 24 hours but it is still best to leave for 48.

Also if your corn is eating digesting and pooing within 24 hours i would have thought you are feeding prey items which are too small.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

81 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2010 :  22:11:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I handle mine as much as i can and leave 48 hr after feeding till handling again although i do have one corn that i have to give 3 or 4 days because it has regurgitated after 48 hrs but i find thats just something i find with that one corn.

1.0 butter motley, 0.1 anerythristic, 1.1 reverse okeetee, 0.1 caramel, 1.1 creamsicle, 1.0 normal, 1.0 Lavender, 0.1 Amber, 0.1 Classic stripe, 1.0 Blizzard, 0.1 Amel, 0.1 Snow, 1.0 Rootbeer, 0.1 Charcoal, 1.1 Nelsons Milk Snake, 0.1 Brazillian Rainbow Boa, 0.1 royal python, 0.1 boa constrictor, 1.1 ribbon snake, 0.1 ornate flying snake,0.l leopard gecko, 1.0 Central American Banded Gecko, 3.2 cats

Wish list:-tessera, amel stripe, caramel motley, candy cane, loves okeetee......
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2010 :  22:13:31  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have heard of a few snakes regurging after 48 hours, even when it appears the lump has gone.

Thats why i wouldn't handle after just 24 hours.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2010 :  23:08:11  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The few sad reguges I had were all after 48 hours. That's why I always leave mine now after they feed until they have done their first poo after eating just to make sure. A little one seems to pass his food just after 24 hours but I still try not to touch him unless he leaps out of his RUB.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Sizzlesmum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2010 :  23:17:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I leave mine for at least 48 hours after feeding and don't handle them when they are in shed.

Cleo loves being out and would be out 24/7 if she could. Sizzle was less keen when he was younger but seems to enjoy it now

Go to Top of Page

MacSpud
Hatchling

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  00:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I handle Beaker 10-15 minutes everyday apart from the 48 hours after feeding

1.0.0 Beaker (10-8-09 amel)
Go to Top of Page

Gaz_1989
Yearling

United Kingdom
931 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  08:24:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always left Stella for at LEAST 48 hours after feeding, if she does a poo before this then i still leave her the 48 hours, and then i clean her out and handle her, usually dead on 48 hours.

If after 48 hours she hasnt done a poo, i leave her untill she does, just to be safe, and also to avoid being pooped on! Lol.

Outside of this time i usually handle her 2-3 times inbetween feeds, so every other day.

I always slide open the glass and she comes straight to me most of the time and crawls onto my hand.

If she doesnt come to me then i leave her alone.

We've got a good relationship going on! Lol.

Gaz

0.0.1 CB15 Amel Corn - Billy
1.0.0 CB16 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Hunter
Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  12:02:37  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i handle mine when i can but mostly everyday (if not then it will be the lil ns one day n the adults the next day, depends how much time i have) except the 48hrs after feeding although i sometimes leave them a lil longer.
i also dont norm handle them when there in shed although i have done before without realising it lol woopsie :)

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2010 :  18:27:08  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i don't handle mine at all, apart from moving them into another tub for a full clean out and the occasional photo shoot.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  04:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I handle mine every day, sometimes twice a day when I feel up to it. Neither will voluntarily come out of the viv but they dont fight being picked up and brought out....but they do fight when I go to put them back in their vivs and start ducking and diving trying to avoid going in the door !

I handle for between 15min and 30min, never more than that and they are both adults. I NEVER handle for 48 hrs after a feed and I also dont handle from the point of them going 'blue' to them shedding....although I begin to get withdrawal symptoms from not handling them !

Dont worry about asking a question that may have come up before your time Roseanna. I just tried to do a search on it and couldnt find the original topic and it was something you wanted to know - so you did what you have been told to do....you asked!

I would encourage you to take the advice given though and start leaving Ripley for 48hrs after his feed rather than 24hrs. What is he feeding on, how often and how much does he weigh?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

37 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  14:31:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I handle Kesali about four times a week, not on feeding day (she gets very frisky!), or for 2 days after feeding day. But Thursday-Sunday tend to be snake-handling days!
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
4379 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  22:29:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe once a week at most.

www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000