Feeding problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  16:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the last 9 days milo has refused to leave his vivarium every time i try to feed or handle him he will wrap himself tightly around a vine and the one time i did get him out he wriggled out of my hands and under his viv (i did manage to get him out though)

0.0.1 Carolina Corn (Milo)
1.1.0 Staffys (Harley&Penny)

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  17:10:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
last time he was out did something happen that could have startled him or something?
have you tried feeding in his viv?

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  17:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, just need a little persceverence to get him out, I tend to hold onto mine when they do they tarzan act, and when they r ealise i'm not a big bad eagle who wants to eat them, they'll unwind and allow me to get them out.

It's only natural, an escape tactic.
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  17:25:55  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Do you think he might be going into shed mode? I've read on here that sometimes it can put them off food. Very new to snake keeping myself but just thought I'd try to help a little.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  18:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No he just finished shedding two weeks ago thanks for the help though

0.0.1 Carolina Corn (Milo)
1.1.0 Staffys (Harley&Penny)
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  19:13:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just be patient, if need be pick up the vine with him still on it and hold that - if you are worried about him slithering under the viv again then dont remove it from the viv completely,
maybe hes just feeling shy

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2010 :  03:49:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know it does seem a bit strange the way Milo is acting, but sometimes our snakes do things like this (just to worry us !)

You say that you did manage to get him out....once he was out did he settle down and handle normally? Is he feeding ok? Behaving normally other than that, as in pooing and drinking and moving around the viv? Are the temps ok? Try to think of anything that might be stressing him at the moment.

I do think what has been said is right, you just have to persevere in getting him out to handle and to feed. Just be very patient and calm, making sure you dont make any sudden movements. When you go to get him out fiddle with the substrate a bit just to give him warning that you are there so that he isnt surprised. If he does wrap himself around the vine either bring it out with him if you can or, if you cant, then sit there with him until he realises he isnt under threat and hopefully he will unwind on his own. Could you try moving the vine to one end of the viv and always getting him out the other end....so you can 'grab' him before he has the chance to curl around it? Or maybe it is worthwhile taking it out completely for the moment and replacing it with something like a plant that it is more easy to disengage him from?? Just trying to come up with some ideas of what might help....

Do keep at it and let us know how you get on.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2010 :  09:42:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my corn snake has only had one mouse in four weeks cannot understad why it is not feeding
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  05:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yvonnem08

my corn snake has only had one mouse in four weeks cannot understad why it is not feeding

Why dont you start your own topic Yvonne and give us some more info about your corn so we can see if we can work out why it is not feeding. Things like what its set-up is, temps, how long you have had it, how old, how much it weighs, sex, what it normally feeds on....just any information you can give us will help.

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000