Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

columadboi
Egg

United Kingdom
71 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  23:58:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yup she has layed again this evening
have got little eggs most look fertile so fingers crossed now.

i have got them in moss at the moment but can i transfer them to vert if i felt it was better or is this harmful to the eggs?

thanks and regards marcus

im a snake acholic :D

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  10:01:00  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Vert? as in Vermiculite? Mine are in Vermiculite currently!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  10:15:22  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Vermiculite is apparently better as it holds the humidity better, thats why most breeders use it. That said i don't think moss should be a problem.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  12:15:17  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Moss should be fine as the Snake caves that come with moss are meant for the mum to lay the eggs in.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  12:35:07  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Moss should be fine as the Snake caves that come with moss are meant for the mum to lay the eggs in.

The snake caves that come with the moss are just meant as hides. Have you seen the size of them? Hardly a nesting place.

I've never seen the large but doubt it is all that big, there not even designed for large corns. But if they were made as lay boxes they wouldn't sell them in small and medium sizes.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  12:50:41  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They are small indeed my little girls likes them although she never laid eggs on the moss, just pooped in it and I dare not use it for Venom as he would certainly get stuck in it which is a real same. I am very surprised actually that they haven't made an extra large size yet. I am wondering how big the smallest one is, I'm guessing just hatched hatchling size. The large will fit a 4ft corn if it's not overweight. On the box for mine it says it is ideal as a laying place for snakes and lizards and that is why they added the moss and only the large one with the included moss say it's ideal for egg laying.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  14:04:01  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So its an be used as a place to lay eggs but not necesarily made for that.

The small one quite comfortably houses casper, she will get a few more months out of it i think. Candy on the other hand has loads of space.

Reggie has a medium and has plently of room in that, but its a bit of a squeeze into the small one.

I have noticed though that each hide can come in to different colours, brown and green. They are both the same size but the green one has a smaller entrance hole.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  14:41:23  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Are they exo terra ones different make as I have only seen exo terra ones in that kinda sandy rock colour.

But back to the topic, vermiculite would probably be better and I imagine moss to get all horrible if you didn't change it often but I have no idea if it would.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  16:54:49  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

Are they exo terra ones different make as I have only seen exo terra ones in that kinda sandy rock colour.

But back to the topic, vermiculite would probably be better and I imagine moss to get all horrible if you didn't change it often but I have no idea if it would.

They are both exo terra small snake caves, and are both from the same shop, come in the same box and everything.

I'll get some pics to show you later, got my new Sony Ericsson Vivaz later so need to test out my camera.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

hillzi
The Lost boy.

United Kingdom
3984 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  17:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cat litter trays make good nest boxes.. or a small rub inside her viv..

If you do move them, make sure you do not rotate them in anyway, it could damage or kill the embryo inside.
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2010 :  23:50:39  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillzi

Cat litter trays make good nest boxes.. or a small rub inside her viv..

If you do move them, make sure you do not rotate them in anyway, it could damage or kill the embryo inside.

Not sure about cat litter trays as i think its best to have something with a lid so the snake can use it as a hide aswell. So a small rub, tupperware tub or something like an icecream tub.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2010 :  04:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A quote stolen from you Danny when I searched under lay boxes -

quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Make her a laybox out of a tupperware tub or something similar, cut a hole big enough for your snake and smooth with some sandpaper. Put some damp vermiculite or moss in there and you have yourself a lay box.

I think there is a guide to making an incubator in the snake D.I.Y section.

(although I did have to correct a few spelling and grammar mistakes! )

xxx

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2010 :  10:26:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you and your spelling kellog

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic