First Shed Problems??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  17:53:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im a newbie and our corn Arnie had his first shed during the night. The little guy only shed about 4 inches of skin from his head back, the rest is still attached! I have read that i could try damp paper towels but am wondering how long i should leave him to try and get rid of it himself?

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  18:01:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would leave him a couple of days and see what happens, if you have got Sphagnum moss put some in his hot hide this will raise the humidity a little bit and will help.

If he has not shed in a few days you could give let him run through a damp towel or dishcloth.

Or you could give him a bath with lookwarm water, no warmer than the hot end temps, but be careful as your corn may not like being in the water and will try to make a run for it. when you take him out let him run through a towel and his shed should come off.

Do not try to peel the shed from your corn this may damage the scales underneath

Edited by - gmac on 21/04/2010 18:04:15
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  18:05:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Gmac Il Keep my eye on the little fella

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2010 :  18:07:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no problems, you might want to go and say hello in the intro section and let us know a bit about yourself and let us say hello properly

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  09:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gmac has given you some really good advice Lucy.

Quite often most shed can come off by themselves, another couple of days in the viv could sort it out. You could swap the usual hides for damp ones so Arnie HAS to use them, then put the usual hides back in after a few days, if the retained shed has been resolved that's great, if not then the few days in the damp hides will have prepared him for a good bath. http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3699

If this doesnt help then do as Gmac suggests and dampen some kitchen paper or a small towel with luke warm water and let him wriggle through it, holding firmly so that the skin comes off.

If none of this works you can bath him. The bath can be done in a RUB, sink, washing bowl, bath whatever is a good size. Put a digital thermometer in it to make sure that the water is between 27 and 28 degrees. It should be deep enough that his belly can touch the floor in case he wants to rest. Let him swim in it for a couple of minutes or untill the temps drop to around 22 degrees. You can run your fingers gently down his body when he's having a bath just to make sure that the waters are really getting at the retained shed. The water should help to loosen and dislodge the skin. As Gmac said, Arnie wont want to be in the water, and will try to escape as much as possible, so be prepared for a fast snake as well. When you get him out get a dry towel and let him wriggle through it but apply a bit of pressure to him - it usually helps to encourage the retained shed come off....

To help him out next time he sheds, once you see him go 'blue' (as in his eyes going cloudy and his scales dull) add an extra water bowl into his viv on top of the heat mat. This will help raise the humidity. Dont just move the original water bowl as your snake will not want to be drinking warm water. I also mist my snakes' vivs once a day in the morning, nothing more than that as you dont want to cause the humidity to rise too much as this can cause respiratory infections. Once his eyes have cleared you can add a damp hide into his viv, which will also help.

I do hope Arnie's shed does come off....let us know how he gets on.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  10:10:34  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is arnie in a faunarium?

If so adding extra waterbowls and putting moss in the warm hide to help raise humidity won't help because there is so much ventilation.

You can put it in both hides to help him loosen the skin abit.

If the skin dosn't come off on its own within a couple of days then follow the advice that Gmac has given you.

If you don't already have spagnum moss then it may be worth buying some before arnie goes into shed again. That way you can be ready and give him a damp hide next time he goes into shed. I tend to add a damp hide to candies faun when her eyes and skin clear, this indicates that they will shed within the next few days.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  14:44:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is in a faun for the time being I am going to purchase some spagnum moss this afternoon and will add it later. Fingers crossed.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  16:07:09  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arnies Mum

He is in a faun for the time being I am going to purchase some spagnum moss this afternoon and will add it later. Fingers crossed.

In the fauns there is too much ventilation to higher the humidity

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  16:46:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This works in my fauns no problems, I would still add the moss to the hot hide at least, there is not so much ventilation inside the hide. so the heat inside the hide will allow humidity to rise in the hide.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  18:57:18  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

This works in my fauns no problems, I would still add the moss to the hot hide at least, there is not so much ventilation inside the hide. so the heat inside the hide will allow humidity to rise in the hide.

I was refering more towards the addition of an extra waterbowl in the warm end.

It will work to some extent in the warm hide depending on how quickly the moss dries out.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  18:58:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gave my hatchling a bath in the sink after a bad shed then let him slide through a dry towel it worked wonders the rest of his shed came of like a stocking

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  20:27:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had my Eugene since November 09 and he's shed 3 or 4 times now, and not once has he fully shed. Really hope he does soon so i can try and get a good measurement of him. lol

I'm fairly new to this myself, but a friend of mine recently suggested putting baby oil on your hands and just letting him slither through them. I'll try it myself next time if he doesnt shed properly.

No doubt that one of the more experienced members will put me right though if this is a bad idea. lol
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  20:30:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:

It will work to some extent in the warm hide depending on how quickly the moss dries out.

Thanks for that Danny, having only been used to wooden vivs I wasnt aware about the differences with the ventilation between them and fauns. I will keep that in mind!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  22:15:17  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:

Thanks for that Danny, having only been used to wooden vivs I wasnt aware about the differences with the ventilation between them and fauns. I will keep that in mind!

xxx

The lid on the fauns is sort of like plastic mesh in comparison to how many holes there are.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  22:16:17  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KITTYCAT

I gave my hatchling a bath in the sink after a bad shed then let him slide through a dry towel it worked wonders the rest of his shed came of like a stocking

This should only really be done as a last resort as it can be very stressful to the snake.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000