more frequent sheds
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

29 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  01:31:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my gf's snake is isnt even 1 yet but has shed 3 times in jus over a month is this a bad thing or nothin 2 b worried about?

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  03:21:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We could certainly do with some more information before we can answer your question accurately. How much does your OH's snake weigh and is it putting on weight fast? This would be the main reason for shedding so quickly as it is out growing the skin it is in....but it does make me wonder if it is being overfed, so what is it being fed on and how often?

Is it feeding all right? Drinking, pooing, behaving normally when handled?

Also, has it suffered any type of injury recently....shedding is the way that corns heal themselves, so again this may be an explanation.

What is the corn's set-up like....temps, size of viv, number of hides etc?

Sorry for all the questions but the more information the better.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

29 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  16:51:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no problem bout the questions and 2 answer them we havent got the scales so dunno how heavey yet. Hes pooin fine and is in a small ish viv atm bout 2ft wide by 1.5 ft with another corn (they're sibblings) goin into bigger viv soon and 1 hide with plenty of beddin.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  17:04:34  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Could be mites, probably not though unless it's always sat in it's water bowl. Could be just because it's growing fast. I know when my got my snakes and they were a year old it seemed like they were always shedding.

I know this has nothing to do with your question but corns less than 1 year old shouldn't really be kept in the same viv I've been told...

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  17:16:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
without knowing any other information im thinking its either being over fed or its got a skin issue.. going by your previous thread about feeding rats im going to go with the first one.. how often are you feeding him?

please separate them.. corns dont live together in the wild so why keep them together.. the only benefit is that it means the owners dont spend as much.. i have 6 corns and believe me i know its expensive and it would save me a tonne of money keeping them in pairs but all it would do is stress them out and in really bad circs lead to one of them dying..

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  17:34:28  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As Hannah said and they are also more likely to eat each other when they are young. A slim chance of it happening but meh. Plus as well if you house them togtherwhen they are adults you would need a pretty big tank. It's just easue to stack 2 of the same size ontop of each other.

It is very expensive getting them all their separate heating, I've just spent over £200 on heating and something to control the heating alone for 4 snakes but I rather spend that much now than having to spend a great deal more on vet bills. Sorry if it sounds like a lecture I don't mean it too ^^; it's just that I had 2 housed together for many years and I saw an improvement for the better when I separated them.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  17:40:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you say one hide? It's recommended to have two hides per snake so in your case, two hides in the cool end and two in the warm end. That way the snakes don't have to fight for the best spot. From horror stories I've read though (snakes eating snakes or one not thriving because of subtle dominance issues) it is far better to have them each in their own vivs. You would still need to have two hides each - one in the cool end and one in the warm. They don't have to be expensive - cardboard boxes with a hole cut in them do just as well.

Hope you get to the bottom of the shedding issue.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’

Edited by - Sammysnake on 15/04/2010 17:41:04
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  21:48:17  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm assuming that some posters believe that HannahB didn't say enough??????

HannahB clearly and accurately stated about the co-habiting, that should do for now as this is NOT a co-habiting thread.
If anyone is unsure about what this thread is about, then please read the original posters first section.

If you would like to echo info that is not valid for the thread, then do so but you WILL get a warning for it.

However if anyone would like to add anything in regard the question of multiple sheds in such short a space, then feel free.

I think it's probably as HannahB said, it's just had a bit of a massive growth spurt due to having lots of foodies, think how many people go up a couple sizes of clothes in the short weeks after christmas.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2010 :  02:05:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I answered your thread originally I hadnt connected it with your other thread - which I did comment on. Reading that in conjunction with the frequent shedding then I would say that you have your answer.

One more query though, how long is he? You say the viv is 2ft by 1.5ft. The normal rule to go by is that the length of the snake should not be longer than the length + depth of the viv.....and if you add to that the fact that there are 2 snakes in the viv.... Just something for you to think about.

I realise that a number of members have gone 'off topic', but as you can see co-habiting is a sensitive topic for obvious reasons. Kehhlyr is right though, this is not the place to be discussing it. I would suggest that you look at this link to educate yourself on the pros and cons of co-habiting, but at the end of the day the decision is yours - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 16/04/2010 02:13:46
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2010 :  03:06:11  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

............I realise that a number of members have gone 'off topic', but as you can see co-habiting is a sensitive topic for obvious reasons. Kehhlyr is right though, this is not the place to be discussing it. I would suggest that you look at this link to educate yourself on the pros and cons of co-habiting, but at the end of the day the decision is yours -http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

xxx

So there was really no reason to repeat that then really was there???

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

dazb
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
1278 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2010 :  11:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If there is no sign of any injury or mites it may be down to a growth spurt, especially since your feeding the rats(?) as they are very fatty compared to mice.

Whats your feeding programme?

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

29 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2010 :  23:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My gf's corns are NOT on rats one of MY snakes are jus to clear that up my GF's snakes the one whos sheddin alot has had a huge growth spurt recently so we're thinkin its due to that, thanks for your help guys!
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  03:15:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SanJ

My gf's corns are NOT on rats one of MY snakes are jus to clear that up my GF's snakes the one whos sheddin alot has had a huge growth spurt recently so we're thinkin its due to that, thanks for your help guys!

Apologies SanJ....I connected the 2 topics but didnt realise you were talking about different snakes. I am glad that you have been able to work out why your OH's snake is shedding so frequently.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  10:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SanJ

i apolagise because i also connected your first post with this one, sorry
has anything else changed apart from the excess shedding? how long have you had him?

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000