Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  19:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunatly I had Henry put down today.

Her medical history for people who dont know (its pretty relevant):

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2931&SearchTerms=henry

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3428&SearchTerms=henry

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=3892&SearchTerms=henry

On the 3rd of April, two small bumps appeared on her left side close together under her scar. They looked like abscesses. She had had one a few years ago with her previous owner on the other side of her tail level with her vent. The usual treatment it antibiotics after is has been drained with a needle.

If you look between my fingers, you can see the abscess she had years ago.

The lumps felt like fluid with a small solid mass under each one. The masses weren’t fixed, they would move backwards if touched.

On the 7th, both bumps had joined together, and the tail was slightly "full" on the left side. It still felt fluidy with 2 small solid masses.

On the 10th, the bump had expanded and was visible from the side; it was making a bump underneath.

The next day it was larger and was pushing scales apart. It had also made a bump on the right side. A slightly smaller bump had formed about an inch closer to the head end. This bump was not central, or on the side of the snake, it was somewhere in-between. I was about the size of a marble. This meant there was a gap underneath her because of the two bumps. At this point I though the bumps were tumours instead of abscesses.

She also started losing scale condition:

The next day (12th), she was taken to my rep vet (Polly Cornwell at highcroft veterinary group, wouldn’t take her to see anyone else). She was kept in over night and had an x-ray and ultrasound.

Unfortunately she had produced eggs again, I really didnt expect this as the lumps were irregular. The two smaller bumps at the start were caused by the eggs pushing against something inside of her, possibley scar tissue from her last op. My options were to have the eggs surgically removed, as well as her reproductive tract, or have the eggs surgically removed and have her fitted with a deslorelin implant. The main issue was if I was to have the surgery to just remove the eggs, she will be in exactly the same situation next year unless we can stop her from producing eggs.

The surgery to remove the eggs would be much like the surgery she had before. Though to remove her reproductive organs, she would have had to have multiple incisions along her body which just isn’t fair. Its also close to a majour blood supply, and there is a low chance of survival. The only other way to attempt to stop her producing eggs is through the use of a hormone called deslorelin.

Deslorelin is a mammal hormone which prevents ovulation; it’s commonly used in ferrets. It has previously been used on green iguanas, though i'm not sure if has any proven effect on them. If Henry had had it, it would have very likely been a world first on a snake. Unfortunately, it’s not likely to work.

So, I though the kindest thing to do was put her down. She was 15 years old, not bad I think.

I watched her being put down, and helped to hold her still. I realise not everyone would want to do that, but were all different. If anyone wants to know how they are put down, i’m quite happy to explain it, don’t worry, its not gory, I just don’t think everyone will want to hear it. PM me on the reptilian if you do.

I think I have written enough now.

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  19:34:23  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Im really sorry for you, but yea 15 years is a good run I think (least of what I have be reading up on)

anyway my thoughts go out to you!
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  19:37:15  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
R.I.P. henry..
I'm so sorry for your loss..
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  19:42:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
am really sorry Matt, Henry was a gorgeous snake and a real credit to you after everything you went through together last year,
RIP Henry x

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

kizzig
Yearling

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  20:09:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for your loss Matty. Replied on thereptilian but thought we'd post here too.

RIP Henry

Kizzig

Our ever growing menagerie:

1.0.0 Amel cornsnake (Ziggy)
0.1.0 Amel motley cornsnake (Kizzy)
1.0.0 Housegecko (Eric)
0.1.0 Chile Rose Tarantula (Daisy) RIP Double D, We'll miss you... xxx
1.0.0 Budgie (Oscar)
0.1.0 Cat (Sophie)
1.1.0 Red Eared Sliders (Sam 'n' Ella)
Assorted Fish - Harry, Artie, Kev and Ebi.

RIP Georgina the Housegecko , Archie the Angelfish (17/09/09), and Daisy the Chile Rose Tarantula (19/11/2009)

Our Animal's Album: http://s986.photobucket.com/albums/ae347/klivingston234/
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  20:13:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so sorry!
Poor Henry :(
atleast she had a happy life with you before she passed
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  20:17:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry for your loss, at least he had a good life with you, you made the correct choice

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  20:20:20  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry for your loss... Bless her. Can snake retain sperm or something then? I now have a soggy keyboard T.T

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  20:51:55  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
R.I.P.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  21:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all.

Sta~ple, they can, but she has never been bred. She produced infertile eggs on both occasions.

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  21:27:26  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry for your loss Matty - R.I.P Henry - Atleast he will be kicking back with the angels above.

I would like to know how they put him down if you don't mind explaining please.

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  21:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Henry was female, short for Henrietta (and the production of eggs should have been a give away).

I have PM'd you on The Reptilian.

Edited by - matty18714 on 14/04/2010 21:36:41
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  22:15:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear that Matty but it sounds you did the right thing for Henry.
15 years is a good stretch no punt intended. Again sorry about Henry

Edited by - n/a on 14/04/2010 22:16:11
Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  22:32:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry for your loss Matty.

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  22:46:29  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So so sorry Matt. She really had been through the wringer bless her. You did the kindest thing you could for her and was with her to the end. She couldn't have asked for better care.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  23:01:59  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
R.I.P

I'm so sorry for your loss, you made the correct choices, she had been through enough as it is and 15 years is a stretch especially with a caring owner such as yourself.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  01:29:44  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
R.I.P to Henry

At least she had the best poss care and its great to know you were there till the end and now she has no pain or no worries n she can just r.i.p

Im sooo sorry 4 ur loss tho Matty

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  08:10:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry for your loss matty but you did the kindest thing
R.I.P Henry

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  09:41:28  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm so sorry
*hugs*

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

col654
Egg

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  10:21:01  Show Profile  Click to see col654's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
R.I.P

1.0.0 Corn Becardi
1.1.0 royal brezer
Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  13:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thinking of you Matty, and well done for having the courage to do what was best for your lass..... J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000