Round 2 "Ding Ding"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  17:18:33  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ello,

Ok time for me and Max to try and get to know one another again :)

but while I was sorting myself out a few thoughts came to mind and thought best to ask out loud instead of asuming etc

The last time I picked him up, was when he started to move out of his Faun he just kinda went onto my hands (either that or my pile od DVDs) which made him a bit startled at first but calmed pretty quick. It all seemed to go wrong when he darted all over the shop.. but anyway what is the best way to approch him or let him to me kinda thing...

Also Im wearin gloves as he was coiled alot last time I dont think he will bite and even if he did I dont think at his size/age it would hurt just be more of a "wow... ohh pants" kinda moment which would obviously make things worse..

I guess Im asking if there are any tips or pointers or even threads I should look at as looked under "handling" "gloves" and a few other things but nothing came to the forground on idea's

As at the moment in the Faun he is chilled sitting on his plant watchin the world go by and watchin me type this and eat my tea (which im sure he was drooling over the other day heh)

Kazzaboobers
Egg

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  17:35:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9043

the link above is to some really good advice Kellog gave me on handling - scroll down about half way I think - havent tried it yet though - waiting for the week to be up!!!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

100 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  17:37:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started by letting Porphyria climb out of her faun onto my hands until we had both gotten a little comfortable with the handling thing, then expanded that to scooping her up. Now I rarely open her faun without her trying to get up my arm

Others will say just go in and pick Max up confidently and keep a firm but fair grip until he settles down.

Edited by - n/a on 12/04/2010 17:37:41
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  17:42:08  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Don't show him your scared, it will make it worse and you don't need gloves. They will likely scare him even more. Baby corn bites are nothing, none have drawn blood on me and adult ones don't hurt although there is like pin ***** marks after and a small amount of blood (My hand got mistook for a mouse while I was carrying a mouse...) It's more of something that makes you jump as it happens that quickly but you have to try and not jump and panic and let them take their teeth off you rather than you forcing them too. A snake will probably coil up and maybe go to look like it will strike you but actually close it's mouth at the last second so it kinda like nose or mouth butts you? They often do a lot of rattling before they intentionally bite or false strike you but once you pick him up, it should stop but he will probably pick a direction and try and go for it but let him calm down before you put him back in.

Let him know your there first by just being there and letting him wake up if he's asleep and maybe put your hand near him so he can smell you and then pick him up and try and get him to wrap around your fingers rather than darting off but his is hard to do sometimes.

Just be gentle, try not to just pick him up it will probably make him think your a bird that is going to eat him or something. try and scoop him which is easier when they are younger or offer a chance to go onto your hand by himself.

Once they are used to being handled, you can normally just go and pick them up but I wouldn't like to be forced out of bed without any warning.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3

Edited by - Sta~ple on 12/04/2010 17:43:37
Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  21:52:40  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I got to agree with staple but let the snake wrap round your fingers when it ready to when it starts doing this it is getting used to you handling it and feels confident to go round fingers and also feel it body gripping against ur fingers. Also as been said i dont think the glove is a very good idea cos your scent wont be taken in by the snake.

Edited by - newsnakekeeper on 13/04/2010 18:55:22
Go to Top of Page

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  18:44:33  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks very much guys, was going for another go tonight but stupid day at work and im pretty stressed so dont want to pass it on to him as he seems happy enough at the moment in his plant :)

but yea thanks again for all the replys just time now I guess and hopfully he will learn to trust that I wont eat him :)

Shame no one lives near by heh (handholding or what :p )

Edited by - Takagi on 13/04/2010 18:45:19
Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  18:52:48  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Takagi

thanks very much guys, was going for another go tonight but stupid day at work and im pretty stressed so dont want to pass it on to him as he seems happy enough at the moment in his plant :)

but yea thanks again for all the replys just time now I guess and hopfully he will learn to trust that I wont eat him :)

Shame no one lives near by heh (handholding or what :p )

Takagi you will get used to handling your snake i know the first time i handled shearer i was nervous and hand was shaking so i left him till i calmed down. Now we get on fine he dont half wrap his body round my fingers the rotter lol

Go to Top of Page

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  18:55:57  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yea,

guess I was hoping I would be lucky and he would be calm lil sod and all would be the easy life :)

but least he has character albeit one that looks like he wants to eat me when I go into his home hehe but no, we will get there just will take time :)
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  18:56:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by newsnakekeeper

Takagi you will get used to handling your snake i know the first time i handled shearer i was nervous and hand was shaking so i left him till i calmed down. Now we get on fine he dont half wrap his body round my fingers the rotter lol

haha, same with me, i was so scared thinking he would bit me or squirm away, then after a couple of holds i had to be bribed to put him back lol

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  20:27:39  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have a hatchling that even after 6 weeks he still rattles his tail and tries to bite me and he has bitten me a few times as well but he's getting there, it's lovely when I can hold him and he's not biting or rattling but just weaving through my fingers. He seems to be calmer at mid day than at night. It's just the way some snakes are I'm afraid as one of my other hatchlings since day one, just sits in my hand and wraps about and is always looking to be out. They all lame up eventually I imagine. Perhaps you just smell like a predator.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  03:54:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am afraid that I am going to have to disagree with Staple and Newskeeper a bit on this Paul. I know they are saying to wait and until Max wraps around your fingers....it is very likely that he wont do this.

I know that the link Kazzaboobers gave you gives a lot of info about handling but there is a bit more to add.

I dont remember if I mentioned this bit in that link, and here I do agree with Staple, you do need to let him know that you are there and in his viv. wWen I go to handle my snakes I go in slowly, and I fiddle with the substrate a bit because that way I am getting their scent on my hands, which I think must help in keeping them calm and it also warns them that you are in their viv so they are not surprised.

Neither of my corns come onto my hand...wanting to be picked up. It is a case of me choosing to pick them up from wherever they are in the viv. In fact a lot of the time it is a case of taking their hides off them if I want to handle them, otherwise I would never be able to get them out . I know some of the forums' corns do come to their hands or come out of their vivs by choice, but not all...so dont worry if he doesn't....and to begin with he probably wont as he will be scared. When you do pick him up try not to come at him from above, but rather scoop him up from the sides....that will scare him less.

I think the rest of the info regarding the handling itself is included in what I told Kazzaboobers.

I, personally, would avoid gloves if possible. You are wanting him to get used to your smell and the touch and warmth of your skin, and gloves are just a barrier to that. I must admit that I would miss the feel of the snake gliding through my hands - they feel so amazing!

What you must remember is that corns are not used to being handled, dont really want to be and do just adjust to us handling them and then come to enjoy the time outside the viv, being able to explore etc. He will be able to tell you are not confident and that will make him more stressed. It is a case of you needing to 'fake it until you feel it'...behave calmly and gently, with no sudden movements, and he will respond positively to that. His reaction when you go to pick him up will be a fear response...but that will lessen with time.

I know you are worried about being bitten but whatever happens....if he strikes or rattles or bites, you must control yourself enough not to react, not to jerk away (easy to type and hard to do, I know)....and you mustnt be tempted to put him straight back into his viv if this happens, otherwise he will associate him doing it with being returned to where he considers as being safe to begin with.

It really is a case of time and patience and quality of handling rather than quantity. Take it slow and trust yourself...only when you do that will he trust you.

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 15/04/2010 03:23:14
Go to Top of Page

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  18:51:09  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok well 2nd time went well, I got him for a few min.. well had my hand in the Faun and he went about it licking the air alot but no rattles/strikes or anything as I was "faking it till I feel it"

but you guys are going to be really disapointed in me... As I had to wear a glove (its a thin bike one, so I wear it alot and very thin to let me use stuff on bike)

Its not that im affraid ofbeing tag'd... heck been bitten by much bigger things than lil ol max here (a persdon once....) but its the shock and sudden "argh" that I know Ill do the first time and since he is affraid of me to begin with I wanna get used to him and him used to me.. as Iknow he will tag one day but I guess for now I just want to get him happy around me

so sorry, I just had too... hope you guys understand :)

Well that was this morning as he was out and about on his morning prow, but this evening I came in and its feeding time.. again ate no issues what so ever just a small question... if he eats the mouse bum first there wont be any issues?? as he could not find the head so gave up and ate bum first... very weird seeing a small head out of his mouth....
Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  23:59:47  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Kellog i just re read that comment i made bout waiting for the snake to wrap itself round your fingers should ave thought that not all snakes will do this. Sorry about that

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  03:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok well 2nd time went well, I got him for a few min.. well had my hand in the Faun and he went about it licking the air alot but no rattles/strikes or anything as I was "faking it till I feel it"

but you guys are going to be really disapointed in me... As I had to wear a glove (its a thin bike one, so I wear it alot and very thin to let me use stuff on bike)

Its not that im affraid ofbeing tag'd... heck been bitten by much bigger things than lil ol max here (a persdon once....) but its the shock and sudden "argh" that I know Ill do the first time and since he is affraid of me to begin with I wanna get used to him and him used to me.. as Iknow he will tag one day but I guess for now I just want to get him happy around me

so sorry, I just had too... hope you guys understand :)

Well that was this morning as he was out and about on his morning prow, but this evening I came in and its feeding time.. again ate no issues what so ever just a small question... if he eats the mouse bum first there wont be any issues?? as he could not find the head so gave up and ate bum first... very weird seeing a small head out of his mouth....

Well done! Sounds like the 'faking it til you feel it' worked....for Max not to rattle or strike must have been really encouraging.

And dont worry about using the gloves, no apology needed!! I know that it is not ideal but totally understand why you are doing it. The gloves you used sound good as they are thin, my only concern would be that they would smell more of motorbike than they do of you ! Maybe you could get a new pair, wear them for a bit to get your scent all over them and then use them purely for handling Max. It is much better that you are handling him, even if it is wearing gloves, than not handling him. Hopefully, in time, you will be able to feel confident enough to handle him without the gloves.

As for him eating 'bum first', dont worry about it....it does happen . Often the snakes will work their way around to the head and it is always amazing watching them do that - but sometimes they get a bit lost or just cant be bothered. It certainly does look really weird !!

Newsnakekeeper - dont worry about it, I just try and think of all the different scenarios with snakes and know that some dont respond like others. When I first got Silvesta from his previous owner (who used to handle him with a glove only 3 times a week and was obviously scared of him), there was no way he would come to me...I had to get him. But I am sure that there are snakes, particularly hatchlings that dont know fear of humans yet, that may very well respond the way you suggested.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  07:49:37  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ello

cheers and yea were getting there slowly, and also I ment to say pedel bike not motor heh (im not that crazy yet :D )

but yea he came up to the gloves and finger tips and investigated, still not too happy about me being there but once up calmed down so slowly but surely we are getting place's

Also noticed on puttin him back after feeding, his tail and back half are going blue... heh so guess time for his first shed
Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  10:03:08  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When I first got Sprockett she was a little skittish (still is, guess it's just her nature). She's never come out of her viv to climb onto me. (she managed to get out of her viv a few years ago on my bday at 2am, knocked something off the viv, and when I turned the light on, looked back at me in a 'drat - busted' kinda way and sat there till I put her back )

Gobo's completely different. I open his door, and he's investigating me immediately! (you'd have to ask Mike how he handled Gobo as a shoelace tho, as I only got snakyboy on new years day!)

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  15:04:47  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
When I first got Colin I didnt know about this forum and the first few times handling him where un-nerving. It wasnt so much the actual handling as when he was on me he was fine it was the getting him out that was the issue as everytime i put my hand in his viv his head popped up and he tracked my every move but i did as I was told by my rep dealer to just ignor him whatever he does and pick him up confidently. I followed his advice and was fine. Now I am so confident handling snakes the other week i was playing with a six foot albino burmese python. Its just a case of confidence is all if you are confident then the snake will sense it and also be relaxed. There is very little danger with a corn even a fully grown one as the bite is more of a fright than it is painful. Personally I'd ditch the gloves as your snake is not getting as used to your scent as he would without them.
As for the coiling thing. There is a theory that my freind came up with in as much that he has noticed all his female corns will coil around fingers or wrists whereas his males wont. I can kind of confirm this as this year I have discovered Colin is very much a male and as such does not coil he will simply slither over you. Whereas my female Xena will coil around your fingers as soon as you pick her up. Very interesting theory I wonder if others may have noticed.

cheers

Steve

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

elament
Yearling

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  15:38:37  Show Profile  Send elament a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Also Kazzaboobers what morph is sookie he/she is absolutely stunning I want one

1.1.0 Amel Corns Colin and Xena
1.0.0 Dog Talan
1.1.0 Cats Wotsit and Willow
1.0.0 Ferret Chaos

Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  16:15:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting... I have always thought my females 'curl and cling' far more than my males... seems like other people are noticing this too!

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2010 :  02:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ello

cheers and yea were getting there slowly, and also I ment to say pedel bike not motor heh (im not that crazy yet :D )

but yea he came up to the gloves and finger tips and investigated, still not too happy about me being there but once up calmed down so slowly but surely we are getting place's

Also noticed on puttin him back after feeding, his tail and back half are going blue... heh so guess time for his first shed

That is great news that he calmed down slowly, he will do so as he feels you relax and also realizes that you are not a threat.

I do agree with Elament though, the sooner you feel you can handle Max without the gloves the better. He is right that it means that Max is not getting as used to your scent as he would do if you didnt wear them, he is also not getting used to the feel of your hands on him. I know you are worried about your reaction if he were to strike - the shock factor....but I do hope that after a few handling sessions you will feel confident enough to deal with anything Max does. Just give yourself and him time.

First shed - how exciting! I never handle my snakes from the point where they go 'blue' - as in their eyes cloud over - because from then on until they shed they are virtually blind and I dont want to add any sort of stress by handling them. I dont feed them either. This is my own personal choice and I know other forum members do handle and feed during this time, but I prefer not to.

So glad Max is doing so well, and so are you !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Takagi
Egg

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2010 :  15:17:01  Show Profile  Click to see Takagi's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yea for his "Blue'ness" I only noticed when I was putting him back after his grub,

and was only his back half was going blue, as I did have a look at him befor he came out but did not seem any different ... so im prolly going blind in my old age hehe

but no he is now fed, watered and currently hiding underground... So I guess I wont see him for a few days till he all shed
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000