Eggs for a Newby
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  10:15:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone, My daughter's snake has laid an egg and looks like she is laying another. The thing is, I am 300 miles away from home and my son has told me the news. can anyone tell me what I need to do when i get home in a few days (wed) do I need to seperate the mother? do I need to buy anything? please help? she is a candy cane corn snake.

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  10:29:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The eggs need to be seperated from the mother asap preferably b4 wednesday they must be moved exactly as they are ie do not turn them or the embryo will drown put them in a tuperware box withe holes in it and something damp at the bottom like vermiculite or moss or in an emergency maybe damp kitchen roll and keep them somewhere warm. I was cought short like that too i just kept my box inside the viv lid on. good luck keep us posted

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  11:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THank you Kittycat, she now has 4 eggs, shall I tell him towait till she has finished laying or move them now? will keep you posted
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  12:05:47  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Wait till she has finished laying them and then put them prefferably on vermiculate as this will hold the humidity well, you can get this from gardening places if you have one near by.

But in an emergency i guess you would have too use something else although i don't know wether kitchen paper would be best but if you did use it be very very carefull when moving the tub as an egg could roll.

Is there any chance you could make an incubator? I simple one wouldn't take long you just need the correct supplies. There is a thread in the D.I.Y section on how to make one.

Edit - I'm guessing the bredding wasn't planned so i will just ask in case, Are the male and female kept in the same viv? Around how old are they and do you know their weights, more so the females size and weight.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 12/04/2010 12:07:17
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  12:42:03  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KITTYCAT

The eggs need to be seperated from the mother asap preferably b4 wednesday they must be moved exactly as they are ie do not turn them or the embryo will drown put them in a tuperware box withe holes in it and something damp at the bottom like vermiculite or moss or in an emergency maybe damp kitchen roll and keep them somewhere warm. I was cought short like that too i just kept my box inside the viv lid on. good luck keep us posted

That's exactly what I did my when girl laid surprise eggs. Kitchen paper is fine but something else would be better as if one of the eggs isn't fertile and begins to rot and it's stuck to the other eggs the mould grows all on the kitchen roll. I son't think it does any harm just smells a bit.

It's nice to know that your trying with the ggs and giving them a chance.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  13:30:15  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You must feel so helpless. Will your son be able to sort them out until you get home. Maybe you should tell him to sign up on here and then the more experienced peeps can talk him through it step by step. I'm pretty sure there will be lots of people willing.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  13:43:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeh wait till she is finished if you have to use kitchenroll i suggest maybe making a kind of wall around the eggs with damp kitchen roll aswell as damp on the bottom to prevent them rolling but i cant stress enough that they must be lifted with great care just as they are even if some are stuck together dont try n seperate them good luck!

0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

3 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  23:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All, thank you for your help, there were 5 eggs in total, my son found some vermiculite from garden centre and put them in a box inside the viv, the mother is a 2 year old corn snake, dont know the weight, we have a male too but he is kept seperate in his own viv. we put them in each others viv's when cleaning so they must have mated and not realised. will keep you all informed as to their wellbeing.
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  00:09:11  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Its good that she is ok, a general guide fro breeding is that they must be atleast 3 years old 300grams and 3 years old, so you may have just had a very lucky escape.

Can you feel anymore eggs, it may be a small clutch because she is still only young and it is her first time but there are normly a few more than that.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  08:55:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My female was only a year n half when she got caught she only layed 5 eggs unfortunatley only one egg made it. she can still be fertile for another couple of months so i wouldnt put them in each others vivs again just to be safe.

0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page