New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  11:38:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i still can't decide what i want, this year i am getting another crested gecko and hopefully everyuthing will turn out rite with luna and the new one and they will breed, but i still want another snake and really do love monty and would love a stripe but then i like royals but i just can't decide, i think i will just wait untill i have got the new crestie and then see where my heart takes me after that.
you never know when i go to donny to get the crestie i could see a corn and fall in love again?

advice

1.1 royal pythons 0.1 hog island boa 1.0 corn snake
sig made by stapey

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  12:03:06  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you want another snake, have the room and the money to look after it then why not.

I am edging towards getting a Royal near the end of this year myself. Have to see how much money i have first though because i will be moving my 3 or atleast 2 up to vivs around September/October.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

441 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  12:07:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Decisions decisions!

If you go for anything I would go for another Corn. Lots of lovely stripe morphs to choose from. Also you have a Corn snake already and know what is required to keep a Corn.Remember that a Royal is not a Corn! Sounds daft but I do think people buy other Snakes thinking they will act the same as their Corns and are disappointed when this is not the case. IMO

Feeding can be fussy for a Royal.If you have the patience and don't get stressed then a Royal might be ok for you.

I think Hannah B has a Royal maybe ask her for more advice as I have never owned one myself.

Edited by - n/a on 11/04/2010 12:10:59
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  12:13:47  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich78

Decisions decisions!

I think Hannah B has a Royal maybe ask her for more advice as I have never owned one myself.

Yes she has two i think.

Why don't you go have a nosey over on the royal site if you are considering one.

There care needs are a little different but not all that much. Temps need to be a little higher, slightly higher humidity and when they are in a viv it is best to have a IR or Ceramic light on a dimmer stat for heat.
They grow to a similar length and need a similar size enclosure, 3 foot is sufficient for most.

Some can be fussy feeders but not all are.

One thing to think about is that they are quite a bit less active than corns.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  13:17:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have considered it for a long, since donny last year, in september so now everything i need to know and have been to a few zoos and handled royals so now their charicteristics, but then like you sed will i be disapoitned when i get one and it is very different, plus i want to be able to handle regualry and have heard royal sometimes hate being handled...
decisions, money comes in to it as well, see what i have left over after i have bought the crestie?

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  13:18:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich78

i do indeed.. i have two and they are both very different to corns and to eachother..
the main thing with royals is that they can be fussy when it comes to eating.. my two are kinda fussy Q wont take food unless its heated the right way and Little One generally hates fluffy food..

you need to really research royals before getting them and not panic too much if they refuse a feed, have a look on theroyalpython.co.uk and read through some threads
also when they are bigger they do need a light rather than a mat - just extra info

it sounds really scary about the fussy feeding and its not supposed to but theres no point sugar coating it
but i love my royals.. wish i had gotten them sooner tbh, they are a lot slower than the corns and bulkier but they still have loads of character once they get used to you

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Edited by - HannahB on 17/04/2010 17:15:52
Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  17:02:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rite, sorry for bringing up an old post but thought of this one instead of creating a new one.

i have chosen to go for a corn instead of a royal and have picked two morphs to choose from, either butter stripe or hypo stripe. but can't decide between the two. help!

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  17:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
id say butter stripe but then im biased because iv got my little Aura and shes a gem
talk to sue and other breeders, im not sure if sues expecting many butter stripes this year..i got the only one she hatched last year, and ed was the only lav stripe she had, might be a case of hunting round and putting a deposit on one when its hatched..
personally im not a massive fan of hypo's so butter stripe from me

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  17:16:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ahhhh, so it was u last eyar that nicked the butter and lav stripe, i talked to her last year about them and she sed that one person had bought them both. it was you i have found a butter stripe 09 on the net for 55. if you look on yes,yes,YES thread and the second page their is an address, go to that and there is the butter stripe.

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  17:20:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha yes it was me i got a mention in her newsletter for it aswell lmao
given the chance id love another corn from Sue but atm its a nooo nooo as dont have the room but hopefully when our lot are fully grown and in their viv stacks we might be able to rethink it

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  17:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can you have allok at that butter for me on the other thread please

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  18:02:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah iv had a look.. Aura has a similar marking where both sides of the stripe join up but its right up by her head, id say it is a butter stripe but i think Eeji may be able to tell you for definate.. i thought the othe snake (the normal butter) looked more like an amel than a butter to me but might be the lighting lol

Go to Top of Page

reptiledanny
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1809 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  18:18:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hannah can i see a pic of aura

sig made by stapey
Go to Top of Page