New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stoney2143
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  10:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all im Wayne I live in Runcorn with my wife Jean and 3 kids Jamie Daniel and Katie.
I have always liked snakes but never really intended on getting one until my eldest son asked if he could have one, I took him to the shop to have a little hold and see how he liked them. He was a bit freaked out at first as the snake was quite fast moving but me and my wife loved it, so we are getting our first corn snake next week and i cant wait.
I am new to snake keeping so i will be picking plenty of brains on here and getting to know you all a lot better over the coming months.

1 Amel corn 0.0.1 ( name soon )
1 boxer dog, maisy

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  10:38:49  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum!
This is the place to be for corn snake keepers/lovers..!
(Aren't they addictive? )
You'd better do a bit of a research through the internet, so that you are well prepared!
Here is the care sheet of this site:
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm
And when you buy the snake, be sure you get all the equipment first!
Feel free to ask anything..!
Everybody here is more than willing to help!
We are like a big family..!

Hope i helped,
Electra

Edit: This topic is useful, too
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

Edited by - mozacchio on 10/04/2010 10:48:36
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  10:52:54  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya and welcome. Have a good mooch around and ask any questions you have. Electra is right. It is a good idea to get your equipment all up and running before you bring snakie home so that you can make sure temperatures and suchlike are right and spot any problems before your snake moves in.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  10:57:14  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome
This is the place to be if you're into cornsnakes. Everyone is so friendly and will help if you need it. Just ask.
We will want to know all about your snake when you get it and some photos would be great.
Enjoy doing as much research as you can into corns, it will become an obsession!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

col654
Egg

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  10:59:59  Show Profile  Click to see col654's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome i am new to this but it is grate the first week is a killer no holding lol.
Every one on here is nice and frendly get as much info as you can.
I was 6 months reading up asking questons silly ones but never got a bad answer.

1.0.0 Corn Becardi
1.1.0 royal brezer
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  11:08:55  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh, I forgot to mention the 1 week rule!
When you get the corn, leave it to settle down in its viv for a week.
No handling for one week..!
Tough, huh?
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  11:39:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and welcome
ask any question you like..nothing is deemed silly or unimportant here

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  12:32:19  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
heya n welcome to the forum....

congrats on choosing a corn they are great but also very addictive (so be warned lol)
If ya have any questions please ask us someone will always be here to answer

the 1wk rule is a nightmare... spec when the snake is awlways out but its all in the snakes interest.
When ya get your corn try n get as much info on it as you can like shed,feeds etc

The unwritten rule here... Piccies asap lol :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

63 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  12:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hiya welcome to the forum congrats on the snake
cant wait for the pics!

Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  13:31:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello and welcome :)

great choice with a corn snake - they are fantastic!
Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  14:58:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi n welcome to the forum

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  21:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Wayne, it is great that you have joined us! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . My OH and I were the same as you, had always wanted a snake and just waited until the kids were old enough to want one too! I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know...but it is better heard twice than not at all.

Dont worry about your son being a bit freaked by the snake....I am sure the snake was a bit freaked as well ! It just takes time and patience....both will soon get used to each other.

Am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. Electra has already directed you to the are sheet which is the best place to look, it has lots of information for new snake owners, and the topic on 'Your 1st Snake'.

The one-week rule has also already been mentioned. We always suggest you follow it (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!)...no handling or feeding for the first week to allow your snake to get over the stress of the move and for it to get used to the new smells and its new surroundings. This means just putting your hand in to change the water daily and straighten the substrate, so it can get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about your corn not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. You are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for the snake's sake.

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. As has already been said, no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

When you get your snake I hope you get as much info about him as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

This link will help you with the unwritten forum rule - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14. Cant wait to see pics of your new family member .

You have been warned that corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You are about to start down that corn path!!

I look forward to getting to know you better .

xxx

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  21:26:53  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey welcome to the forum, all the initial info you need you will probably find in kelloggs post, if there is anything else have a check on the care sheet of this forum, use the search feature in the top right or ask a queastion in the relevant section.

Just being nosey here but i am also situated in runcorn, where do you plan on getting your corn snake?

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  22:01:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello and welcome there is a great bunch ppl on here and helped me alot with my first corn so your in good hands

paul

dogs:1.1.0 cookie, scrappy
rabbit:0.1.0 bluebell
beardies:1.1.0 spike, sunshine
corns:1.0.0 sid
Go to Top of Page

stoney2143
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  09:15:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

Hey welcome to the forum, all the initial info you need you will probably find in kelloggs post, if there is anything else have a check on the care sheet of this forum, use the search feature in the top right or ask a queastion in the relevant section.

Just being nosey here but i am also situated in runcorn, where do you plan on getting your corn snake?

I was planning on getting it from Whites in Widnes, He seemed to know what he was talking about and let us handle all of his snakes no problem.

Unless you know of a better place?

Where about in Runcorn are you by the way im in windmillhill

1 Amel corn 0.0.1 ( name soon )
1 boxer dog, maisy
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
3348 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  22:46:56  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome to the forum

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  23:40:53  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stoney2143

quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

I was planning on getting it from Whites in Widnes, He seemed to know what he was talking about and let us handle all of his snakes no problem.

Unless you know of a better place?

Where about in Runcorn are you by the way im in windmillhill

You could try Warrington Pets & Exotics, they're near warrington hospital.

www.warringtonpetsandexotics.com

They don't update there website too often but there is an email address there for the owner of the shop, he knows his stuff and normly has quite a few corns in stock. Also has a few burms, BCI's, Royals, JCP, beardies and loads of others so its worth a trip down to have a look and maybe handle a couple.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2010 :  08:53:23  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
belated heya and welcome

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000