Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  23:37:45  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've looked on our 'sister' site and various other internet sites and I can't find the answer to this question...
What is the average girth measurement of an adult male royal python?
Also are males and females similar in temperament and character?
Hope some of you have Royals and can help simple me
Thanks

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  00:31:58  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I believe the girth can vary alot depending on leangth, in the same sort of way as what a corns girth can vary but im sure a keeper can varify this.

Im pretty sure that the temperament between sexes is the same. Although males like corns may well go off their food when its breeding season.

Are you thinking about getting a royal? Ill will most probably be getting one around september time.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  00:50:07  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Possibly... a friend of my daughter has one, complete with all it's home and equipment, for sale. Very seriously thinking of getting in touch with her before it's been sold. OMG, can you imagine the uproar when I mention it to my OH !!!!!!!!!!!

Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  01:52:23  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol, you should just buy it, keep it under your bed for a week, then say to the OH you were having a little clean around and "Look what I found, amazing huh" DOn't know how long he's been under there, best get him some food.

I hope you do know though, that they can be serious problem feeders if there set up isn't correct or if they are stressed for what ever reason.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  09:22:06  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes Danny, I've read about them being difficult feeders. I'm also told they can get stressed more easily than corns if their setup is not quite right. Thanks for confirming that
I've done a lot of research and still don't know if the one I'm thinking of is still for sale. It may be that it's already sold and then I'll have to wait. Or maybe hubby will say a big "NO" and I won't be able to have one at all

Granddaughter (Eva)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  13:08:49  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yer they do get quite stressed if their set ups arn't quite right, that is also a reason why they can go off their food.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  14:54:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
handle them too much = they go off their food
set up isnt right = they go off their food
food isnt heated right = they go off their food
food isnt the right species = they go off their food

but apart from that they are great

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  15:07:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sevvi's the best feeder I've got (although I know when his hormones kick in he'll start getting picky)!
Males and females (apart from when they're horny) have similar temprements and characters IMO, although female royals tend to be a bit bigger (5 ft for a big female). We tend to handle the male and the females with kids at work rather than the corns as they are a lot less active when being handled. BE told me to expect an adult to be between 2.5-5 kg, so our three adults are all on the small side (probably due to poor past care, but not going there again). Not sure how best to describe girth, other than LOTS bigger than a corn. Sevvi's an august 09 and he's already way fatter than the adult corns. Worth posting on TRP as they're far more experienced than me! Why's girth important?

Go on, do it I love my Royal!

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  18:13:32  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've read they arn't as wiggly when being handled like most corns, they just sit there but thats supposdily because they are scared.

All I know is they look quite fat and dumpy XD

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  18:24:30  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Girth is only important because I want an idea of size round as well as long!
I'm really tempted but I know I'd feel terrible if I didn't get things quite right and it wouldn't eat. It would bother me that trying to correct things may take too long and snake could die!!! So many people have told me they're great snakes as long as they feed ok. Goodness what a dilema

Granddaughter (Eva)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  18:44:09  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

I've read they arn't as wiggly when being handled like most corns, they just sit there but thats supposdily because they are scared.

Them sitting there in a ball because they are scared is similar to when corns try to get away from you when handling.

Once they have calmed down and know your not a threat they will relax when handling and start exploring more, but they arn't as quick and fiddly as what corns can be.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  09:50:59  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They are chunky snakes, but they don't get that much girth - I'm struggling to think of a universal think to demonstrate with here.....

.... probably the maximum you'd expect is the girth of a bottle of wine - although obviously not as hard and defined as that

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  10:16:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Royals are great. I think mine is in shed at the moment (will have a look later), but if not I will get some size comparison photos.

Go to Top of Page

devilsmistress
Yearling

United Kingdom
829 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  11:04:41  Show Profile  Click to see devilsmistress's MSN Messenger address  Send devilsmistress a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My royal Is just fab bless him! I bought him and he had been underfed, and the viv was filthy with just a standard fireglow red bulb! The day I got him home, I gave him 2 large mice, He took them both, The week afer another 2 no probs!! During this week, he was out his viv so I could clean it, In a bath to get the retained shed off, A hold drilled in and the correct fitting and bulb put in! Never went off his food at all!

Then I offered a weiner rat, He ran away!!! So I left it over night and by the morning it was gone! So even the switch to rats was easy! Then thursday I offered another, and he struck straight away!

He has also had a shed just last week, and I added a damp hide, and moved the water bowl, the shed was nearly complete, but I had to damp a few small bits which came off easily. He is a joy to handle and now he knows me and knows he is not going to get passed around loads of kids, he is off exploring all over me.

Sorry for the long post But I just wanted to let you know that yes some royals can be problem feeders, but not all of them are, And it just seems that All royals have been tared with the same brush, and the "non feeding" seems to always be mentoned in a way of "IT WILL HAPPEN" as apposed to "IT MIGHT HAPPEN" Im not having a go or pointing fingures, cos I have seen the same thing on several forums and personally it does wind me up a bit.

Take Hannah's reply for example (Im not having ago, i have seen loads of people say the same thing, Like i said just as an EXAMPLE) She mentions about if the setup is not right, heat not right ect, they go off there food, Again look at what mine went through, wrong set up (only one hide no decor! this has been sorted now) incorrect heating, wrong prey, yet he still fed!!!

Ok im done :) And I will say again, Im not pointing fingers or havaing ago at ANYONE!! Just wanted to get my point across!
Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  11:52:46  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks devilsmistress. I'm sure nobody will think you are pointing fingers, I certainly didn't read it that way. I do agree that the one statement I've come across most of all is that royals are fussy feeders. I have spoken to the guy in our local reptile centre and he owns a royal. His was a rescue who had not been cared for very well and he said moreorless word for word what you've said! I know he was from a retail centre but they didn't have any royals to sell so I don't think he told me anything just to make me buy. I'm going to carry on researching and looking at available royals. Then I want to handle some before I finally decide.

Granddaughter (Eva)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  11:55:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind that for many many people, a royal is their first snake. When you start out, you may not be doing things the best way, which would stop the snake from wanting to feed. I think its this that causes so many people to thinkt hat royals dont eat well or are really fussy.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  00:34:05  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:

Them sitting there in a ball because they are scared is similar to when corns try to get away from you when handling.

Once they have calmed down and know your not a threat they will relax when handling and start exploring more, but they arn't as quick and fiddly as what corns can be.

Ah, I didn't think of comparing it like that.

If they are such fussey eaters due to various things, I don't really see why they are reoommded as starter snakes for people.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  12:16:44  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:

Ah, I didn't think of comparing it like that.

If they are such fussey eaters due to various things, I don't really see why they are reoommded as starter snakes for people.

As said not allare fussy feeders but you will find it fairly common. They are recommended as a starter snake because they have easy care needs eg. they do not require high humidity, grow to a manageable size and arn't likely to be aggressive.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  16:19:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

As far as fussy snakes go, royals are probably the least fussy (though I dont think they even fall into the catagory of "fussy snakes"). You cant compare royals nonfeeding habits with that of others snakes which will literaly starve themselves to death if not properly cared for.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  22:59:40  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I thought corns were the least fussy eaters. It just makes me worried that if they are fussy eaters due to something being slightly wrong and people starting off keeping snakes don't know that they could become quite ill that's all. I imagine they could go a very long time without food considering the build of them though.

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  23:28:30  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Goodness me, I didn't know I would be starting such a long thread when I posed my first question. This has all been very interesting and getting all your opinions has proved to be very good research! Cheers folks

Granddaughter (Eva)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000