New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

amanda121921
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  18:06:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi guys finally worked this thing out so here are my snakies!!

squidward on his 3rd outing into the big wide world!! he's still really nippy-hence the gloves!!!

this is squidward nearing the first bit of skin he didn't feel the need to bite!

things are looking up-he's been sat here for 2 mins now and his jaws have remained closed!!

not a great pic bot he's a lively boy!

this is kasey about 2 weeks after i brought her home. she was about 7 months old here and has always been really chilled, she's only ever bitten me once-maybe i should get her to have a word with squidward!!

kasey checking out her
new home about 4 days after she arrived

this is kasey this morning. she's now about 18 months old

another one of kasey this morning.she's slightly bemused as she had an early morning bath after her first incomplete shed. she was wondering around her viv trying like mad to get all the bits off that just refused to budge!

all clean and beautiful!

kaseysquidward

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  18:10:28  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There is Squidward, too!
I saw Kasey on the other topic..!
Cuties!!
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  00:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aw cute snakes
i do like Kasey

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  03:31:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have 2 lovely snakes Amanda, with gorgeous names! Am so glad you have finally managed to work out how to post pics so we can enjoy them too !

I do love Squidward's colours and he has a lovely marking on his head. I know he is really nippy but I, personally, would avoid gloves if possible. You are wanting him to get used to your smell and the touch and warmth of your skin, and gloves are just a barrier to that. Having said that, if you are so scared about being bitten that the only way you are happy to handle him is to wear gloves then that is the way to go. I just hope that, in time, you would be able to feel confident enough to handle him without the gloves. I must admit that I would miss the feel of the snake gliding through my hands - they feel so amazing!

It must be so strange seeing how much Kasey has grown, comparing the pic of her at 7 months and now at 18 months ! Her colours are really quite strong. I am so glad you were able to help her with her retained shed....and I am not surprised she was slightly unsure of what was going on having been dunked in water!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

amanda121921
Hatchling

United Kingdom
100 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  02:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks kellog. sqiudward has one of my socks in his hide to help get him used to my smell. i used the gloves because they guy i got him off used gloves and he's not used to anything else so i thought as a tempory messure as he was so completley freaked by contact with skin i'd ease him in with them and it seems to have helped. i ditched them today and he was quite chilled he only bit me twice when i was getting him out and didnt go as stiff as a board as he usually does, methinks thats progress!!! couldn't have kept them up much longer tho-i love how snakes feel!!

kaseysquidward
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  04:22:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by amanda121921

thanks kellog. sqiudward has one of my socks in his hide to help get him used to my smell. i used the gloves because they guy i got him off used gloves and he's not used to anything else so i thought as a tempory messure as he was so completley freaked by contact with skin i'd ease him in with them and it seems to have helped. i ditched them today and he was quite chilled he only bit me twice when i was getting him out and didnt go as stiff as a board as he usually does, methinks thats progress!!! couldn't have kept them up much longer tho-i love how snakes feel!!

That is so good to hear Amanada (and great to see in your other pic thread )

I had the same thing with Silvesta. His previous owner only handled him a few times a week, with a glove after being bitten, and he was very obviously underfed. When we went to see him the owner got him out with the glove and Silvesta was all over the place trying to escape...I immediately took him from his owner (with my bare hands) and within a few minutes his movements had calmed down. I think he was truly picking up on the vibes of his previous owner that he was scared of him. When I got him home he would try to escape when I went to get him out of his viv (and caused total chaos spreading substrate everywhere!) to begin with but soon he would let me pick him up without fleeing from me. And he never once has tried to bite me (yet ).

So much has to do with the confidence of the handler and how safe the snake feels. Squidward has obviously had the chance to get used to you and you have got the experience to be calm and confident with him - and it is all working out . Well done!

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000