Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  14:42:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm sorting out my reptile room!
having a zillion different sized tanks all over the place makes it look a bit messy...

i know proper vivs and stacks are quite expensive, so does anyone know if it's any cheaper to make your own vivs/stacks?

bookshelves are pretty big and pretty cheap nowadays... but i have no idea how to make them reptile friendly

so has anyone here turned a bookshelf or something into a nice snake house?
and if so how?

i might take on a little project

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  14:53:21  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I know there are a couple of people who have turned wardrobes and things into vivs, i imagine it would be alot easier to do it with something such as a wardrobe than it would to start from scratch. You could certainly make a bookshelf reptile safe and wouldn't imagine it would be too hard or expensive. Although many book shelves come with a thin board to cover the back, this would have to be replaced.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  09:05:14  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just make sure anything you convert isn't made of pine :)

0.0.1 Carolina corn - (renamed) Lumos.
2.0.0 Shetlands - Winston & Rupert.
1.3.0 Guinea pigs - Coffee, Nutkin, Rosemary & Thyme.
0.1.0 Yorkshire Terrier - Poppy.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  10:30:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i made one from a old comp desk and 1 from the bottom of a wall unit but would be just as easy to use a wardrobe etc.
get your wardrobe etc i use freecycle work out how big you want each viv to be and put shelfs in to that size, i use hard board for the back as is cheap just seal it if you get from most b and q shops they cut to size for you cut you vent holes in the back of each viv and drill holes for your wires to go through, on the front of each viv at the bottom i put a raised peice to enable substrate and i put the runners on top of that, now for the galss i went on freecycle again and asked for a aquarium when i ot one i split it apart and used the glass off that but on the other i made from the bottom of a wall unit i used uvb resistant acrilic perspex.
Be sure all the shelfs are tight fitting and all are sealed with sealant i use aquarium sealant but some say it doesnt matter as long as left to dry and let all fumes escape before placing your snake in also if your putting a light in there buy a guard for it i made one out of steel mesh i bent to size and soldered together then soldered screw fixings on but if your not to sure how to just as easy and they quite cheap to buy i just give it a go as had some mesh left over from making a rabbit hutch but just remember to cost of things if not getting them for free aas might be just as easy to buy them wilkinsons sell really cheap vivs which could be stacked check them out online.Hope this helps

paul
edit: most important part be sure to disinfect the whole unit before use.

dogs:1.1.0 cookie, scrappy
rabbit:0.1.0 bluebell
beardies:1.1.0 spike, sunshine
corns:1.0.0 sid

Edited by - n/a on 07/04/2010 10:33:06
Go to Top of Page

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  16:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilpunk

Making a viv. out of pine should be ok as usually it's a good idea to varnish/laminate/cover etc etc to make it easier to clean and less absorbant.

Most of the issues from pine shavings come from the oils etc that are released when it is cut - which is absorbed and released in the freshly cut shavings and the dust it produces.

I think it would actually be fine to make vivs out of pine because snakes aren't usually into munching on anything that isn't a delicious warm mouse

zan x
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  17:10:19  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zandefloss

quote:

Making a viv. out of pine should be ok as usually it's a good idea to varnish/laminate/cover etc etc to make it easier to clean and less absorbant.

Most of the issues from pine shavings come from the oils etc that are released when it is cut - which is absorbed and released in the freshly cut shavings and the dust it produces.

I think it would actually be fine to make vivs out of pine because snakes aren't usually into munching on anything that isn't a delicious warm mouse

zan x

Thats a fair point about everything but the last statement, corns don't absord the toxins because they try to eat the wood.

It would probably be ok to make a viv out of pine, but just to be on the safe side i would persoanlly avoid it.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 07/04/2010 17:11:05
Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  17:15:01  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:

quote:

zan x

Thats a fair point about everything but the last statement, corns don't absord the toxins because they try to eat the wood.

It would probably be ok to make a viv out of pine, but just to be on the safe side i would persoanlly avoid it.

To be safe

0.0.1 Carolina corn - (renamed) Lumos.
2.0.0 Shetlands - Winston & Rupert.
1.3.0 Guinea pigs - Coffee, Nutkin, Rosemary & Thyme.
0.1.0 Yorkshire Terrier - Poppy.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  17:34:33  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

zan x

the toxic phenols become airborne, and any wood you use would have been cut anyway, therefore its not really a good idea.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000