do corns climb?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

boost-boy74
Egg

58 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  09:39:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi, do they climb as i was going to put some wood etc in there viv?

cheers si

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  10:04:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They can and will if given the chance.

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  10:11:28  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yes they will climb. Our Sid loves weaving himself through his plants and round his branch. I got one of the long, twisted wood branch things that you can get for parrots. I cleaned it with a bleach in water solution, then reptile disinfectant, then I put it in my oven to kill off any germs that might be left. I'd be surprised if anything survived that lot!!
Sid really enjoys exploring his viv and sometimes I move things about a bit so he has a change of scenery. Hope your snake will enjoy it too when you've got everything done.

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  10:42:16  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Angela is right.
Spaghettino loves to climb, too.
They generally like to explore i think..!

Electra
Go to Top of Page

boost-boy74
Egg

58 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  11:20:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks peeps

will add some branches to there vivs

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  15:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
iv got wooden bits and bobs in my kings viv and he loves it.. but i do find that after a few weeks he seems to get bored and stops climbing it so i have to jiggle it about a bit..make it different for him and hes back out again
my corns have shown some interest in climbing so il be getting logs and stuff for them when they are big enough

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  15:54:41  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
most of my corns love to climb and some of my lil ns r still a lil clumsy so they fall... mind ciass does it alot 2 but... then i tend to change it around in the big vivs every 3/4months ish and 4 the lil ns sometimes when they look bored.... but they dont have as much to move around so its a lil easier lol...

scooby just sticks his hea out of his egg box lol he looks dead cute or he will sleep as high as possiable :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  16:06:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I had mine in vivs they liked to climb up along the back, they always fall off, I think its a bad habit my lot have in common, my carpets have branches to climb on, sometimes at night you can hear the thud of them falling off!

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  04:01:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Supposedly corns arent arboreal and therefore wouldnt climb....but our corns prove the text books wrong - yet again!

Both my vivs have got branches in and both corns like to climb, Kellog more so than Silvesta.

The only thing you need to be aware of is what wood you put in your viv - you cant just pick up a piece of driftwood or some wood from your garden....you can buy wood from pet shops that are safe and you can also use wood from the garden/woods as long as you are sure what sort of wood it is and treat it in the sort of way Herriotfan has treated her 'long, twisted wood branch things' .

This is an interesting topic about treating wood that has been found - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8509&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=branches, and this one may give you some ideas as well - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7968&SearchTerms=branches

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 07/04/2010 04:08:23
Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  11:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Twilight loves to climb and spends a lot of his time sitting curled up on his branch or wrapped around the plant which hangs down from the vent. Saracen however shows no interest in climbing although he can do it - I've put him on the stairs a few times just to check and he can quite easily zoom up them now he's learnt the technique.

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  17:59:11  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sammysnake my shearer is the same if u looking to see if any of the aspen needs to be taken out and i cant find him under neath it dnt bother looking in hides just check the plant that hanging for vent looks like he will sleep any where lol

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  18:28:06  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by newsnakekeeper

Sammysnake my shearer is the same if u looking to see if any of the aspen needs to be taken out and i cant find him under neath it dnt bother looking in hides just check the plant that hanging for vent looks like he will sleep any where lol

I have an exo terra star cactus in candys tank and a hanging plant draped over it and he very often sleeps between the two, infact thats where his shed skin was this morning.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000