Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

glynjones
Egg

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  20:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

Just fed my new cornsnake for thr first time, relieved she took the small mouse first time with no trouble.
I know they are in active after feeding, but she has hardly moved in 3 hrs. is this normal as i can find no detail on the web site.

Thanks all

Glyn

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  20:47:01  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Glyn. Welcome to the forum. I'm no expert but my corn Alice usually hides away for about 48 after feeding. I don't mind as that is how long I need to leave him to digest his food anyway. This time he is hiding away for longer as the silly numpty decided he was going to bed down under the substrate in the cool end of his viv so I expect it is going to take longer to digest. I have had a ferret around in his viv tonight and he has scuttled into his warm hide so hopefully tomorrow he will be ready to come out.

Please tell us more about your corn. How old is she? Size? Morph? Name? We are a nosy bunch lol. Can't wait to see pics either. We can never get enough of pics of our snakies.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
The Count of Corniness

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  20:49:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats perfectly normal. Welcome to the forum.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  21:43:14  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Weclome to the forum, Yep Reggie and Casper stay inactive for 48 hours after feeding, Candy on the other hand is only ever inactive when coming up to a shed.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  21:56:25  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum..!
Glad everything went well!
It's normal, don't worry..!
Go to Top of Page

glynjones
Egg

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  22:02:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

Hi Glyn. Welcome to the forum. I'm no expert but my corn Alice usually hides away for about 48 after feeding. I don't mind as that is how long I need to leave him to digest his food anyway. This time he is hiding away for longer as the silly numpty decided he was going to bed down under the substrate in the cool end of his viv so I expect it is going to take longer to digest. I have had a ferret around in his viv tonight and he has scuttled into his warm hide so hopefully tomorrow he will be ready to come out.

Please tell us more about your corn. How old is she? Size? Morph? Name? We are a nosy bunch lol. Can't wait to see pics either. We can never get enough of pics of our snakies.

Glyn

1.1.0 Marge (Amel)
Nelson (Lavender)
Go to Top of Page

glynjones
Egg

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  22:21:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all.

Thanks for the quick response.

The new woman in my life is called Marge, she is a Amel corn snake.
She is about 18 inches long and brilliant.
She has also buried herself under the substrate in the cool end of the viv.

I was amazed she managed the small mouse, i was sure she was not going to be able to swallow it!

Im afraid i failed with the one week rule and have handled her already, but she seems relaxed and inquisitive.
My son and daughter love her but my wife is not so sure, but i think she is coming round.
Pics to follow.

Thanks all
Glyn

Glyn

1.1.0 Marge (Amel)
Nelson (Lavender)
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2010 :  23:51:29  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When did you buy, when did you feed and when did you hold?

You mustn't handle for 48 hours after a feed to allow the food to digest.

Some corns are very relaxed but it is always best to leave them for a week. If i were you i would leave her for a week from now jsut change water daily. It really is best for the long run, She may not seem stressed to you but as a new snake owner would you know a stressed snake when you seen one?

At 18 inches long it also couldn't have been a small mouse that you fed her, more likely a pinkie mouse lol.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  13:00:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey and a big welcome to the forums,
look forwards to seeing pictures

quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

At 18 inches long it also couldn't have been a small mouse that you fed her, more likely a pinkie mouse lol.

some shops label big fuzzys as small mice Danny, the new shop i go to has fuzzys that are only marginally smaller than the small mice i got from my old shop ready for mont to have

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  13:50:58  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

quote:

some shops label big fuzzys as small mice Danny, the new shop i go to has fuzzys that are only marginally smaller than the small mice i got from my old shop ready for mont to have

Makes sense now :)

The different names confuse me sometimes lol. For instance on 888 reptiles instead of fuzzies as one big category it is fluffs for the smaller ones and crawlers for the larger, then you go onto large mice.

But Reggie and casper are edging onto the 2 foot mark currently around 22 inches (Reggie) and 19/20 inches(Casper)and only taking fluffs although reggie will be moving onto "Crawlers" soon i think so still for an 18 inch snake to be taking big fuzzies must still be quite rare.
Casper currently has a 4g fluff and is gaining weight nicely. She weighed 28 grams before her feed on friday and has now gone into shed

That said we all know how big a difference there an be between snakes of a similar age and size, and how hard it can be to measure a snake.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Edited by - DannyBrown91 on 05/04/2010 14:00:26
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

124 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  14:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
welcome to the forum

paul

dogs:1.1.0 cookie, scrappy
rabbit:0.1.0 bluebell
beardies:1.1.0 spike, sunshine
corns:1.0.0 sid
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

63 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  15:48:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello and welcome! cant wait to see pics.

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2010 :  19:00:45  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ditto to everything said. I feed Sidney in a RUB, then put him back in his viv, then leave him for 48hours to digest his food. All I do is check his viv and change his water during the 48 hours. I really don't want to have to deal with a regurge, or the problems it can bring, and so I leave well alone. Hope you found all the reassurance on here has helped. Any other questions....just ask!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

915 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  14:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hiya, welcome aboard

0.1.0 Snow Corn Snake - Tof
1.0.0 Stripe Cali King - Su'tey
1.0.0 Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Rottweiler - Twix
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  03:11:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome Glyn (and the new woman in your life, Marge), it is great that you have joined us! This is a great forum with lots of experienced owners happy to give their advice and support. You also get lots of fun and friendship . I am not sure how much information you already know about corn snake keeping, so sorry if I am repeating information you already know...but it is better heard twice than not at all.

Am sure you have already browsed the TCS site and forum, and found that it provides great information. The best place to look is http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/corn_snake_care_sheet.htm, it has lots of information for new snake owners. Also read this topic on 'Your 1st Snake' http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

I know that you have already broken the one week rule (it is more of a guide than a rule but worth adhering too!) but you are rarely advised this in a lot of pet shops but it is an important way of getting your snake to de-stress and feel safe with you. I agree with Danny, that it is probably worthwhile giving Marge that settling in week now, I know she seems calm but it is still a good idea. This means no handling or feeding to allow Marge to get over the stress of the move and for her to get used to the new smells and her new surroundings. All you need to do is put your hand in to change her water daily and straighten the substrate, so she can slowly get used to your smell and not be threatened by you. You mustnt worry about her not feeding for that week, corns are a lot hardier than we realise and going for a week without food will not do them any harm, no matter how small they are. It is a hard week, very frustrating, but worth it for Marge's sake.

You will find that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

Unfortunately many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

Already you have had some of your worries allayed - in that it is totally normal for Marge to hide away immediately after a feed. She needs that 48hrs of 'down time' to digest her food, which is why we dont handle for those 2 days.

When you got Marge I hope you got as much info about her as possible....shedding history, feeding history etc. I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

Unwritten forum rule - pics as soon as possible! This link will help - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

I am glad your son and daughter are as taken with Marge as you are, and dont worry about your OH. She may not be sure at the moment but given a little time and patience, Marge will soon weave her 'corn magic' and your OH wont be able to resist. We have had other forum members who started out the same way you have, with their OHs not being happy with the new family member.....but now they have become 'corn converts' !

A warning - corn snakes are addictive.....and yes, the majority of us have stood up, said "hello my name is ****, I am addicted to corns........! And I am proud of it!" You have just started down that corn path so be warned!!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

crazy JJ
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2326 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  11:56:34  Show Profile  Click to see crazy JJ's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
hiya n welcome to the forum 2 u n marge

can't wait 4 piccies :D

2.5 corns 2.0 cali kings 1.0 tange hondo milk 1.0 apricot pueblan milk 1.0 royal (overgrown slug) 0.1 tarantula 1.0 chinchilla chico, 0.1 goldfish tigger 0.0.4 minows 0.2 cats fudge and porsha and 0.3.2 tarantula’s that are my mummys
r.i.p to the lil ones that i and mummy have lost recently
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  14:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

quote:

i think so still for an 18 inch snake to be taking big fuzzies must still be quite rare.

my zero is 17", and edison and libs are only just over 18" and on big fuzzies

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

glynjones
Egg

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  20:33:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone

Thanks again for all the help and advice, it's really reassuring.

I have been really good this week and as you suggested not handled Marge for six days now (which was not easy!).

A bit of a ****up on my part, Marge is actually 26 inches long not 18 - although I am a keen fisherman and usually very good at judging length!! I have taken some pictures and will upload them tomorrow.

My wife is beginning to take to Marge and even held her today while I took the photos.

Thanks all

Glyn

Glyn

1.1.0 Marge (Amel)
Nelson (Lavender)
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  03:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by glynjones

Hi everyone

Thanks again for all the help and advice, it's really reassuring.

I have been really good this week and as you suggested not handled Marge for six days now (which was not easy!).

A bit of a ****up on my part, Marge is actually 26 inches long not 18 - although I am a keen fisherman and usually very good at judging length!! I have taken some pictures and will upload them tomorrow.

My wife is beginning to take to Marge and even held her today while I took the photos.

Thanks all

Glyn

Well done with keep to the hands-off period Glyn, it is so frustrating but is also definitely worth it for Marge's sake .

Dont worry about getting her length wrong, one of the problems with corns is trying to judge their length - for some reason they just wont lie in a straight line along a ruler....even if you ask them nicely !!

That is fantastic news about your OH handling Marge already....and long enough for a photo shoot ! If she keeps that up then it wont be long before you will be struggling to get your own handling time and will need another corn, as one just isnt enough for two people !!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  15:03:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi n welcome to the forum

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

glynjones
Egg

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  23:05:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all

Just a quick update, fed Marge for the secound time yesterday with no problems at all.

also happened to be in the area of the shop i biught Marge so i stopped in and asked what she was feeing on and just to make the subject evem more confusing the shop sells very small mouse, med small mouse and small mouse.
Apparently Marge is on very small mouse, anyway she ate it ok.

I have noticed she seems to spend large amounts of time in the hidy hole in the cooler end of the tank, i thought she would be spending more at the "hot" end.

I have been trying to upload pics but have not managed it yet, the instructions dont seem to match the web site, has any one got a idiot proof set of insrtuctions so i can show off Marge to you all.

Thanks all

Glyn]

Glyn

1.1.0 Marge (Amel)
Nelson (Lavender)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page