Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Has anyone lost their snake in their house?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

simonw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2010 :  14:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Is it just me or has anyone lost their snake around their house?

Any amusing anecdotes?

When Jacob was young he went into the back of a desk chair for an afternoon...didn't dare dismantle it or may have hurt him.

He spent 2 days in the washing machine, after shooting across the living room floor and up under the back where he stayed until he got hungry. my wife wasn't pleased to see the mouse in the middle of the kitchen each morning

He also went onto the bookshelf once where I had to pull down, carefully, two shelves of books to get him out. I learnt not to get him out just before going out!

They do love exploring though! I sometimes let them roam around the house in sight, but I'm never too far away now.

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2010 :  14:55:53  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My snakes have never gotten out of their viv by themselves, even with the glass door open a tiny bit.

They do have the habit of picking a direction and just bolting for it though... Venom did this and ended up in an antic chair. I had to cut the chair fabric apart to get at him and even after that it was a struggle as he tried to wrap himself around the springs. His viv is also ontop of my dresser that has by underwear and he has many a times decided to go in there and explore so some reason.

Both Venom and Char have also decided to explore around the back of my TV and TV stand. The also like to make a dash for my bed in which sometimes, they will poop on it. They also seem to like to try and get into the boxes under my bed but they have faled to do so yet.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2010 :  16:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

by underwear and he has many a times decided to go in there and explore so some reason.

Typical Man!

No stories from me!
*CROSSES THUMBS*
I REALLY hope that Slinx doesnt manage to do a runner!!
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2010 :  16:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had a few escapees, 1 7ft boa went under the floorboards, that was fun.
The same event the big big girl went behind the vivs and moved 2 4ft vivs and a 3ft on top of each other to get behind (she's 7.5ft and weighs 3 stone) my cali got out at our old place, turned up 3 months later in top condition, digesting a meal, much to the new tenants disgust! There have been a few, that's just the tip!

Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2010 :  21:55:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a story at work about when an old boa (Boris) got out and ended up inside the gap in the walls of a temporary classroom. The story goes that half of the cladding on the classroom was removed before he was found calmly slithering up the street. The temporary classroom (no longer so temporary) still bears the scars. Things are definately not as lax as in the eighties anymore!

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2010 :  01:36:30  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've had escapes a couple of times.

My anery was found curled up inside my PC tower, my king was in the flat upstairs scaring a workman, The cat found my snow once, the same anery was found in my nieces bed so she got told 'that' story.

I think I've had more near escapes really.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kare
Egg

86 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2010 :  09:49:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr
the same anery was found in my nieces bed so she got told 'that' story.

Whats 'that' story?

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2010 :  10:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before we bought our flat we lived with one of kates friends, I had about 15 escapees there, down topooptubs mostly, although a couple were because I got distracted when feeding! At 1 point there were 2 out, but I hadn't told the flatmate, well she found one in her room, to which I said it wasn't the one I was looking for, cue arguements! The big boas got out because the big girl was so big that when she leant on the glass she actually pushed the runners off the glue!
We have actually had one escape at the new place, a royal, we found her under the rat cages! Luckily she hadn't tried to get in! 5 big boy rats vs 1 medium royal, I know who my money would be on!
Years ago we had a corn escape, turned up in my sisters bed a few days later!

Go to Top of Page

Kare
Egg

86 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2010 :  11:09:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think my husband would blow a fuse if I ever had a snake escape, maybe getting one isnt the best of ideas as the general trend here seems to be when and how often they escape rather than if they escape lol

He was angry when I had a mouse escape, but I understand that is worse, snakes tend not to chew cables and possibly cause fires when they are out. Though I use to have a couple of hamsters that regularly were out wandering about, Wednesday (was evil so named after the Addams family) always seems flumoxed when she was free and often use to just wander upto me in the bathroom and lift her paws up for a lift home, that was the only time you could lift her without getting bitten, and Winter was a lovely male and was always allowed to wander, he was like a little dog, came when called, had a treat and was carried to his home if I had to go out.

Edited by - Kare on 31/03/2010 11:10:56
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2010 :  19:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not had one escape yet but the bloke who comes to read our electric meter found a corn snake in our electric box outside. Turns out it was the blokes next door and had been missing for 3 and a half months
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  00:27:45  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kare

quote:

Whats 'that' story?

The 'It was hungry so was measuring you' story.
The anery was only about 3.5ft long, my niece was 14 then and about 5ft5.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  05:13:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kare

quote:

Whats 'that' story?

The 'It was hungry so was measuring you' story.
The anery was only about 3.5ft long, my niece was 14 then and about 5ft5.

To elaborate a bit for you Kare....the urban myth is about a python or boa turning up in bed next to its owner lying straight out in a line - supposedly it was measuring the size of the owner to see if he/she would make a nice meal! (http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8630)

Havent had an escapee yet but did have an incident with Kellog a few months after I first got him, so was still very much a newbie.

Having been severely lectured by my OH about the dangers of Kellog getting under the sofas and then up into them, they have always been my biggest worry when I have him out. At one end of the sofa we have a chest of drawers, with its back to the sofa so the drawers are facing away.

Kellog was sliding around this and I was concentrating on him not diving under the sofa, not realising that the back of the drawers was actually hollow at the bottom....next thing I know his head is around the corner and he is sliding in .

I always have my hand on my snakes when I handle them....and this is why! I held him, but knew that I wasnt supposed to pull against him. He is so strong though and I kept having to change my grip, so he kept inching further in. I was on my hands and knees gripping this snake, terrified of the trouble I would get into with my OH !

My main worry was him going from there to under the sofa, so I decided to try and block him in under the drawers - by then my arms were aching so much and I had lost about two-thirds of him under there so I figured it would be less stressful for both of us to let him go and just make sure he didnt make a break for the sofa. Still holding on I used my feet to grab as many cushions as I could reach, jammed them down in the gap between the sofa and the drawers and let go ....at which point he fully disappeared under the drawers.

I grabbed the phone and rang my OH in tears, having to admit that I had lost the snake . As I did this I walked round to the other side of the drawers/back of the sofa....and there was Kellog, happily sliding out of a small gap in the cushions and round to the front of the drawers ! I am telling you....my arms were so weak by then I could barely lift him, my legs were shaking from exhaustion and emotion, and I had carpet burns on my elbows from spending half an hour trying to hold him out and hoping he would give in! As you can imagine I was so relieved to see that....and have NEVER let him near those drawers again!

But he is very stubborn, if he decides he wants to go somewhere....no matter how many times you move him away from that place or move to another area of the room, he will keep returning!

Silvesta is so quick still and strong and thin that I would have no chance if he decided to make a break for freedom, despite me always having my hand on him - so lets hope that never happens....because him, I dont think we would get back quite so easily!

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 01/04/2010 05:14:42
Go to Top of Page

simonw
Hatchling

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  07:24:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great stories, thanks for sharing :)

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  10:02:23  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
My anery was found curled up inside my PC tower

Maybe it found an error and tried to fix it XD

That's how my snakies go walkies Kellog, I didn't dare pull them and no matter how hard I was willing to pull they pulled harder...
Mine seem to like to do this in dirty and dusty places though.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  10:52:11  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
All three of mine have escaped a tone point or another. First time with ginger, the dog let him out so she could see if there was anything edable in his viv, she seems to have a aspen addiction (can't even leave the newly bought bags around her without here riping them open and making a mess), I looked everywhere for him and my ex boyfriend found him curled up behind the viv.
With Normal and Mouse the cat opened the vivs (hes a hypperactive cat lol) I found Mouse happily slithering down my hallway but Normal was nowhere to be seen, I tore my bedroom appaart, emptying drawers movign furniture and after I finished that, she slithered out from a bag by the door lol
Third time Ginger escaped was my fault, I put a mouse in there and hadn't shut the viv properly. I have no idea how he managed to get across the living room without the ferret or cat spotting him. But he gave me a nice fright when a little ginger head popped up over the back of my TV lol.
Needless to say, Gingers viv has a lock on it to stop the dog getting in there and the other two are kept away from crazy cat lol

1.0.0 Snow Motley Corn Snake. (Mouse)
1.0.0 Amel Corn Snake. (Ginger)
0.2.0 Chinese Crested Dogs. (Skeebee & Yuki)
0.1.0 Bullmastiff x American Bulldog (Tsukira)
1.1.0 Ferrets. (Spike & Buffy)
0.2.0 Aylesbury Ducks. (Crispy & Nibbles)

Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2010 :  19:26:20  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry folks i know i shouldnt but i couldnt help but laugh at some of the stories about your escaped snakes. It is bad enuff when they are under substrate and u cant see them luckily not had my snake escape yet but will make sure the viv is locked and there are no gaps for snake to get through

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000