Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RichyP1987
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  19:44:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

I have an 8 month old corn who had escaped from his faun for about 6 weeks. I found him today and he is very skinny, visibly underweight and very jumpy. Compared to his big sister (who behaves and obviously loves me) who was from the same clutch, he is tiny and his spine is very prominent.

Should I follow the 1 week rule before attempting to feed him again? Also, what kind of feeding regimen should I stick to? I want to fatten him up to a healthy weight but not so quickly it does more harm than good. I have a more secure faun to put him in as he is far too small to go into a viv yet. Thanks for your help!

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  20:01:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it goes against the general waiting rule but id wait 2-3 days and then offer a small meal - a small pinkie or something would be fine, if he takes that ok id feed him 1-2 small pinkies every 5 days, then just treat him like you would another young snake, as he puts on weight slowly increase the meal size,
i know its a worry with him being so small and feeding small meals but believe me if you hadnt eaten for a long period of time the last thing you want to eat is a big roast dinner with starter and dessert!
you will find that he will probably shed within a few weeks of the new feeding pattern and for a while sheds more frequently than your other snake, thats just because of him gaining more weight
glad you found him though!!
hope this helps

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

RichyP1987
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  20:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice!

I am very glad that I found him especially after all this time but on the other hand hate that he isn't in a good way.
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  20:50:51  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichyP1987

Thanks for the advice!

I am very glad that I found him especially after all this time but on the other hand hate that he isn't in a good way.

Better you found him underweight than not at all, or even worse than that, dead.

As hannah said just feed him small meals fairly often and he should start to put on weight in no time.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  20:57:19  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
or even worse than that, dead

Subttle But true all the same - I'm glad you found him and I agree with HannahB on this one :)

0.0.1 Carolina corn - (renamed) Lumos.
2.0.0 Shetlands - Winston & Rupert.
1.3.0 Guinea pigs - Coffee, Nutkin, Rosemary & Thyme.
0.1.0 Yorkshire Terrier - Poppy.
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  21:25:08  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
get him up to temperature gradually, then feed him a pinky. It may also help to put reptoboost in the water.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  04:20:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine escaped for almost 2wks they do tend to look rather withered on there return i gave plenty of water and offered food later thet day but she didnt take it till the next night i could see she was exusted so dont panick of it takes a few days

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

RichyP1987
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2010 :  09:50:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eric had a small pinkie today and he is much more chilled out. Massive weight off my shoulders! I'll keep feeding him every 5 days until he gains some weight and hopefully I'll be able to get some pics up of him and his big sister. That's if they stay still long enough
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2010 :  10:18:23  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilpunk

quote:

Subttle But true all the same - I'm glad you found him and I agree with HannahB on this one :)

Yer subttlety has never been a strong point of mine, i should try and work on it.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2010 :  05:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichyP1987

Eric had a small pinkie today and he is much more chilled out. Massive weight off my shoulders! I'll keep feeding him every 5 days until he gains some weight and hopefully I'll be able to get some pics up of him and his big sister. That's if they stay still long enough

That is great news and I can understand why you feel so relieved. Now it is just a case of building him up slowly but surely....but he is eating, which is what is most important!

quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91

quote:
Originally posted by Lilpunk

quote:

Yer subttlety has never been a strong point of mine, i should try and work on it.

Danny....subtle = oxymoron .....but you say what needs to be said, which is what is important !

xxx

Edited by - Kellog on 28/03/2010 05:09:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000