common british green frog
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2010 :  21:59:38  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey guys, a common british green frog was found sitting outside my front door a couple days ago. moved him into the flower bed but 3 days later he hasnt moved.

dont know much about frogs but kinda worried he might be hurt or not eating. anything i can do to help? rare thing to see a frog in my area these days. used to see a fair few hedgehogs many years ago, havent seen one in aages. such cute lil things.

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2010 :  22:31:35  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Are you sure he isn't dead?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2010 :  22:43:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent the day watching frogs spawning, so I'm a bit suprised he/she isn't in the water looking for some action. Has an old spawning site recently disappeared?

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2010 :  23:05:16  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage  Reply with Quote
not that im aware of. hes still alive, just sitting there. not sure where he came from as my local park has no pond!
Go to Top of Page

Kare
Egg

86 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  09:51:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try popping him on the other side of your house, or a lane past your house if there is one, I had a toad that tried to go through our house every year in an old home I had for a few years, she always came back the first year, until she got put on the other side and I assume then continued her journey safely as Im sure it was the same toad the next year.

We called her Esmarelda

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  20:13:39  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think he knows what he's doing. He may have just come out of hibernation and is a little bit dazed and confused.

He should be on his way to a mating site, but may want to fill up on nice insects before he goes.

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  21:22:28  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree with Kazerella. They do take a little while to wake up and come to, then want food, food and more food ;) Then they go off to their 'home' patch for the mating season. I'm sure he'll find his way when he's really awake and with it!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  21:42:32  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sounds like a good life.. sleep, food and mating lol.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  23:40:47  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ari

*wants to be reincarnated as a frog*

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Budaholic
Yearling

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  13:33:26  Show Profile  Visit Budaholic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't need to be a frog - I've managed to live my life like that so far

Hope Mrs Budaholic don't read that!

Corn Snake Forum Members Map

Please add your details HERE
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  14:31:10  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Don't most animals live like that anyway? Except furry pets, they get castrated so I guess they don't really get to do the mating part.

Is there any animals around you that could have scared him? My boyfriend garden gets frogs and sometimes they will freeze and not move if their dog goes to investigate. Probably because it knows if it moves it will die :/

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  14:55:02  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ari

You forgot 'Get squished by car crossing roads to get to pond'

1.0.0 Snow Motley Corn Snake. (Mouse)
1.0.0 Amel Corn Snake. (Ginger)
0.2.0 Chinese Crested Dogs. (Skeebee & Yuki)
0.1.0 Bullmastiff x American Bulldog (Tsukira)
1.1.0 Ferrets. (Spike & Buffy)
0.2.0 Aylesbury Ducks. (Crispy & Nibbles)

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  16:50:29  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage  Reply with Quote
loads of stray cats. mostly friendly though. ill check on him tonight. strange not seen a frog in sooo many years.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2010 :  03:48:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:
Originally posted by ari

*wants to be reincarnated as a frog*

quote:
Originally posted by Budaholic

Don't need to be a frog - I've managed to live my life like that so far

Hope Mrs Budaholic don't read that!

I am so not surprised by either of your comments - I very nearly commented as soon as I saw what Kehhlyr had put that he lives that life already! So no need for the death, reincarnation and risk of being run over by a car, caught by a child as a 'pet', eaten by a cat etc....

When my friend was a child she used to have loads of common lizards in the garden where she grew up but the cats ate them/drove them away and she hasnt seen any for ages ....until she found one in the same situation, out at 10pm at night on a pavement. She even let her son stroke it and it didnt move, but it was alive. I have since advised her that if she sees it on the pavement again to move it to some bushes and leave it alone.

With the weather being the way it is, it may be that they are being a bit slow to get going after hibernation....lets just hope enough survive this waking period to make it to the mating period !

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  11:07:48  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
@Budaholic - HAHAHAHAHA.

In our old house we had newts, frogs and a couple of toads that lived in the huge pond my dad and I built. There were also goldfish and Koi that bred seemingly constantly!

It seemed to be the 'in' place to be!!! :D

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  12:33:05  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's quite strange- I thought amphibians didn't go in ponds with fish in them - they are mortal enemies

Staple- you are right. Many frogs do stay still when threatened, but it should move on after a few minutes. (Except if you are like my cane toad who likes to puff himself up and head butt when he thinks there's a threat )

Go to Top of Page

Mouse
Yearling

United Kingdom
958 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  13:50:15  Show Profile  Click to see Mouse's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
*shrugs* who knows - I'm guessing it's because there were different sections, so maybe there was a bit that the fish didn't go in to!

1.0.0 - Gobo - Snow Corn (RIP)
0.1.0 - Sprockett - Normal/hypo/het snow Corn

2.0.0 Anery Hatchlings
0.1.0 Amel Hatchling
0.1.0 Normal Hatchling

*Location - Southampton, UK*

http://www.weneedcake.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2010 :  20:46:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some lovely fishermen put some carp in one of our ponds. The poor tadpoles cling round the edge every year trying to keep out of their way, but some do seem to survive. We've just got a grant to build a couple of scrapes next to the main pond, so hopefully a few more will survive in the future (work started today, I'll try and get some pics of the progress).

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000