urgent advice needed, skin cells peeling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  23:05:10  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey guys, mystery has been feeling a little rough to the touch lately so decided to give him a lil bath.upon handling i noticed a few skin cells feather off (not his scales). anyway as i handled him even more after his bath i noticed a lot more was peeling away. Im almost certain he had a complete shed just over 3 weeks ago. anyone ever encountered this? could this just be old skin that the shed missed? not sure i got everything this round but another bath tomorrow i think just incase it is loose skin.

im concerned as i dont want to be rubbing off his new skin layer!

hes really active and doesnt seem unwell at all. his temps are perfect too.

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2010 :  05:15:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You say that it is his skin cells peeling away, not his scales. How can you tell?

How often does he shed?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2010 :  08:11:02  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's definately the skin cells. They flaked off in my hand. His last shed was 3weeks ago.
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2010 :  10:36:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But before his last shed what was his normal shedding routine? Every 4 weeks, 6 weeks?

xxx

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2010 :  13:06:25  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage  Reply with Quote
every 4-5 weeks usually
Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2010 :  23:06:26  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage  Reply with Quote
im really worried now. was swapping over my thermostat to my new one, and as i picked him up even more scale skins fell off. the areas where they have fallen arent shiny like the rest of his skin. advice would be greatly appreciated guys
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2010 :  23:36:36  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The bits that have fallen off, do they look similar to shed skin or different?

The scales look shiny before the outer layer flakes off, then they go dull? is that right?

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  00:15:51  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage  Reply with Quote
they do resemble shed skin though they fall off in individual flakes in the shape of his scales and never in clumps as would be expected for old shed. The scales that he's dropped so far, looked darkish when they were on him and relatively shiny. soon as he drops them the skin goes dull and looks very dry
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  01:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not going to be of any help whatsoever (complete newbie myself to reptiles), but I strongly suspect that those who WOULD be of any help would be better able to help if they had a picture of what's coming off and where it is coming from.... ?

Go to Top of Page

ari
Hatchling

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2010 :  16:48:33  Show Profile  Visit ari's Homepage  Reply with Quote
let me see if i can get a few pics for you guys
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

66 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2010 :  16:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've noticed the same On Pythonic today.

I am Rogue by name, Rogue by nature.

http://www.cornsnakemorphgallery.com/

http://www.tcs-chat.TK/

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000