Egg

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  14:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone
I am new to corn snakes and also this forum
so I thought I would introduce myself

my name is Malcolm I live in essex
I have always been interested in snakes in general but always believed them to be out of my price range but found out recently while doing some online research into what would be a good beginner snake that they are positivly cheap compared to a lot of other animals.

so I went to a shop in rainham called cold blooded after reading some good reviews about them online to take a look around and price things up and ended up walking out with a complete setup and two 10 to 15 week old corns
a reverse okeetee (Kellogg) and a butter (Scotch).

I have been sticking to a lot of the information I have been reading on here like leaving them to settle in, changing the water daily, making sure my smells are on the substrate and I must say its all rather fun and exciting lol.

the snakes have been spending most of the daylight hours hiding but at night they are out and about exploring the viv and they look very comfortable in there Scotch shed last night which was quite exciting finding a almost full length skin laying across the cork bark thats in there, thanks to stuff I have read on here the first thing I checked is the eye caps and they came off fine thankfully.

it is their first feed today so I am looking forward to that but anxious at the same time.

anyways thats enough babbling from me I hope to stick around on here for a long time as you all seem like a very nice and helpfull bunch of peeps.

I will try and get some pics and upload them as soon as poss

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  15:47:31  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey welcome to the forum, Isn't the first week so hard lol.

Did you get a thermostat in your starter kit? I know many shops leave them out so i though i would ask.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  16:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and Welcome!
Everyone here is really friendly and helpful!
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  16:14:35  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum..!
Owning a snake is exciting and addictive!
Especially corn snakes..!
Can't wait for pics!
Go to Top of Page

Taz Devil
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  16:29:54  Show Profile  Visit Taz Devil's Homepage  Click to see Taz Devil's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forums.

Hope to see a few pictures of your new arrivals once they have had a feed and settled in.

0.1.0 Corn Snake (Sid)

Sids Live WebCam
http://snakecam.tazworld.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  16:35:24  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi and a big welcome. Congratulations on getting your corns. Can't wait to see some photos

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  16:45:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi welcome to the forum

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

286 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  18:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
like what you've done naming the butter, welcome and kellog will give you the official ultimate welcome post soon. get some photos on :)

corns
0.1 Maizy, carolina 05
0.1 violet, anery 09
1.0 Smithy, amel 07
0.1 Nessa,amel 07
0.1 Lois normal/hypo motley 02
1.0 Dr Heinz Doofenshmirtz anery 00
1.0 Fry normal 08
0.1 Dora amel aztec 09
1.0 Red bloodred 08
0.0.1 Conker kastanie 10
house bunny
1.0 rex, 09
kittys
2.1 tom,jerry 09 Mittens 10
kids
3.1 Charlie-jane 98, ethan 99,coby 06,adam 07
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  19:11:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello and welcome :)
your snakies sound great - cant wait to see some pictures!
Go to Top of Page

Sammysnake
Yearling

United Kingdom
606 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  19:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Malcolm, glad to hear you're having fun and have had one snake shed already. Isn't it cool! Just wondering - are both of your snakes in the same viv, ie co-habiting?

08 male Carolina Corn ‘Saracen’
09 male Anery Corn ‘Twilight’
08 male Rankins Dragon ‘Keydo’
Go to Top of Page

tylerma
Egg

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  20:32:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the warm welcom guys/girls

I have seen the official welcome lol I have already read it on other peoples posts.

I didnt get a stat with the kit but with what I have read on here its something I am going to purchase.

just finished feeding time and that was an experience I can tell ya
Scotch wouldnt touch the pinky while I had it in the tongs until I dropped it then he just took his time with it
but Kellogg went like a snake possessed struck and constricted to such a point she split the poor pinky (yum) then before we knew it the pinky was gone.

I took the opportunity to weigh them both before the feed and Scotch weighs in at 16 grams and Kellogg weighs in at 27 grams

yes they are co-habiting
I know its frowned upon by some but I went with the advice I was given at the time
but I do have plans to build a stacked viv in the next few weeks.

now for some pics
all opinions welcome also can people confirm they are what I was told what they are

Scotch (butter)

Kellogg (reverse okeetee)

Go to Top of Page

herriotfan
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5853 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  20:50:07  Show Profile  Click to see herriotfan's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Super photos and two very handsome/pretty snakes you have there. Do you know what gender they are? Lucky you...two little snakes!!!

Husband....Very Understanding!!! (Phil)
Son & Daughter (Kevin & Carol)
Granddaughter (Eva)
3.4.0 Cornsnakes Amel (Sidney) Caramel Stripe (Sultan) Amber (Cleo) Carolina (Phoebe) Anery Motley Stripe (Penny) Snow (Lily) Caramel (Holmes)
1.2.0 Royal Pythons(Peeps, Pandora & Pepsi)
1.0.0 Hognose (Hudson)
2.1.0 Dogs (Dillon, Alfie, Ellie)
0.1.0 Senegal Parrot (Peanut)
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Bonnie & Clyde)
1.0.0 Crested Geckos (Echo)
0.2.1 Hermanns Tortoises (Ebbie, Rosie & Twiglet)
0.1.0 Guinea Pig (Dolly-Pipsqueak)
0.1.9 Tarantulas (Poppy, Gypsy, Bumble, Insey Winsey, Sonic, Cookie, Raven, Fudge, Titch & Sox)
??? Foster animals
Go to Top of Page

mozacchio
Sub Adult

Greece
1135 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  20:55:31  Show Profile  Click to see mozacchio's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Very nice pics!
They are so cute..!
I have a crush on reverse okeetees!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

63 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  21:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello lovley snakes

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  22:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi Malcolm and welcome to the forum, very pretty corns you have got there

Go to Top of Page

newsnakekeeper
Hatchling

United Kingdom
222 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  22:36:37  Show Profile  Send newsnakekeeper an AOL message  Click to see newsnakekeeper's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum who said cornsnakes are additive no they not i want more now lol

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  22:48:48  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The morphs are correct, i would be carefull whilst you are co-habbiting with one being almost twice the weight of the other.
Personally i think there are far too many risks with co-habbiting and would try to split them up ASAP. What do you currently have them in?

Rather then building the viv stack you may be better putting them in fauns if they arn't already? They could probably live in there for a while, going by the weights as they are relatively close to the weights of 2 of my corns i would say Kellogg would get a good 5-6 months out of a faun and scotch about 9 moths but possibly longer before they have to movbe up.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

tylerma
Egg

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2010 :  23:20:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they are currently kept in one of these

measuring 18 x 18 x 18

I will look into the faun idea as I said I went with the advice I was given
which we all know can sometimes turn out to not be for the best

they are very addictive though I just want to buy loads more

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2010 :  00:26:36  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That is fine for housing one of the snakes, by the time he outgrows that he will be more than ready to go into the bigger 3 foot vivarium. If i was you i would keep Kellogg in that and put scotch in a faun as he is a bit smaller.

P.S. could you also try not to post such large pics as it has stretched my screen a hell of a lot.

1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

Go to Top of Page

tylerma
Egg

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2010 :  00:28:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry about the pic size lol

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2010 :  03:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Malcom, welcome to the forum....so glad you have joined us and even more glad that you have done so much research before getting your corns. Too many people just walk into a pet shop, accept what they are told and then walk out again with whatever they are sold and a corn or 2 . They then get home and think 'What now?', or even worse, they dont and just continue blindly not realising what they may be putting their corns through.

I love the way you walked into Cold Blooded and walked out with Kellogg and Scotch! Did you have any idea of what morphs you wanted or did you just go for what you liked when you saw them? I think that is the best way to pick your snake , too often you can become 'tunnel visioned' by wanting a particular morph and miss so many other beauties that are right under your nose.

And a shed already!! How amazing is that ! Well done for checking the eye caps and tail tip, and it is great that Scotch shed so well. Hopefully you might get to see it next time (although I am convinced that they wait and do it the minute we walk out of the room on purpose, just so we miss it ....and when they do shed, it is quick!)

As you have already read my 'official welcome' , I wont repeat it here. There is a reason for it - unfortunately because of brain fog my memory is terrrible so it is much easier to have a standard welcome that is then changed to whoever I am welcoming....sorry if it seems impersonal .

There are a few things I will include though - things you have probably already experienced but it is worthwhile mentioning again....

You will have already found that there is a large amount of conflicting information out there about corn keeping – on the internet, in books, etc. Even on here you will find that people have different opinions.....but at least you have a place to ask what you need to know and get the answers from experienced owners. Then you can decide what to do with what you are told.

As you have already realised many pet shops cannot be trusted with what they are telling you . I know that I double check anything I am told on here. Remember that no question is regarded as a silly question .....it is much better asked and answered, you will probably find others who want the info too! First place to look is in the top right hand corner of the screen where there is a search button...type in what you are worried about and see if you can find an answer. I know you can get swamped with different topics including what you are searching for, so it is a bit daunting but worth a look. If you cant find the answer you are looking for then dont hesitate to ask!

I am not sure if you do this already but I keep my own 'Snake Diaries', noting things like weight, length, feeding dates and what you feed, shedding dates, health problems. I know it seems a bit over the top but it is actually really helpful keeping track of your snake's health - I even note when Kellog and Silvesta poo !!

(once again, apologies for the copy and paste job but if I relied on my memory I would be in big trouble )

I would back up the advice you have been given regarding separating your snakes as soon as possible, and I am so glad you are already planning on doing so. The problem with keeping them together is that you cannot watch them 24/7 and you often dont see the signs of stress until it is already there. I hope you have read the sticky on co-habiting in the main corn section as it does give you a pretty good idea of what might happen....and the pros and cons.

It sounds as though Kellogg and Scotch are settling in really well, which is great to hear. It is so good to get that first feed out of the way and know that they have eaten (and you got great pics of it as well!). I have never had little ones but when I got my Kellog (nearly a year ago now) he refused his first feed with me and continued to refuse for 13 weeks !! That is when I found the forum and they explained that he was horny and I just had to wait his 'natural fast' out. They seriously kept me sane during those long weeks....while I drove them crazy !

They are truly beautiful snakes but I am afraid I am terrible at morphs so wont even make an attempt at what they are! It will be lovely watching them grow and seeing how they change.

(by the way, it is great to have another Kellogg join us , perfect name for a corn snake I think!)

xxx

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000