Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Loose snake like 5 streets away from me !!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2010 :  22:20:47  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Valid point Herriotfan.

When Trio escaped last year, he was seen by a workman in the flat above me and was described as a 5 or 6 ft black cat eating monster. Trio is black and yellow/white banded and is only about 3.5ft long.

It would be better if whoever has lost it had the sense to go to the local rag to clarify the exact species and size instead otherwise snake fearing people completely misjudge size and colour of them.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  05:26:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just cant believe peoples reactions to this! It is such a sad example of how ignorant people are about things such as snakes and the fact that the 'experts', like the RSPCA and the zoo, didnt go into enough detail to explain that this snake was harmless and would be more scared of you than you are of it is terrible. In fact all they have done is make matters worse .

Considering the use of the internet it would be so easy for your neighbours to just google MBK and find out what they are actually dealing with - rather than panicing about the 'viper ' and making comments like 'i am goin to let kids and vife out of house! not go work and make sure windows, doors closed tightly' and 'what do u mean its just a snake??? helloooo if it gets in my house or garden i will cack myself hahah'....and what use is a scarecrow ??!!! I did love this comment though...It's all very well putting up a scarecrow to scare it but..'a) it isnt a crow and b) it's nice and warm in my stuffed straw belly....where's that cowardly lion and tinman when I need 'em......~~ oh dem ruby slippers.. oh dem ruby slippers ~~
A scarecrow, yellow brick road' . At least there were positive comments in reaction to those panicking - cos it is only a snake!!

Herriotfan and Kehhlyr are right in that things get so blown out of proportion that no one has any real idea what snake it is. There was a supposed black panther roaming around a town near me....turned out to be just a big black cat (but not that big, and was also fluffy !)

Maybe Hiper is right in what he says, that the snake was released on purpose, which is why the owner hasnt come forward - in which case the owner should be shot ! Or it may be that it is a snake that disappeared months ago and the owner has given up hope so doesnt even consider the possibility that this might be their snake and it has survived the harsh conditions in the wild. Really does show how hardy they are.

I am so glad you are doing all you can to try to lure this snake to a safe place Hiper. Maybe you could talk to any neighbours who would be open to helping and set up 'snake havens' in their gardens too. I know that would mean a lot of work for you having to check them and change the rat every day (and would be a lot of rats to go through)....but maybe you doing that is better than the thought of one of your narrow-minded neighbours hitting it over the head with a spade!

Must admit I am surprised at you....thought you might be tempted to ring the RSPCA and claim it as yours so that once it is found it would automatically come back to you !! You are doing a fantastic thing though Hiper, trying to help and then doing the right thing in returning it to the RSPCA or the Reptile shop - although I am not sure whether the Reptile Shop would then be obligated to turn it over to the RSPCA? You could certainly offer to foster it whether you find it or someone else does, considering you have experience with snakes (not MBKs I know, but I am sure you are already doing your research - just in case ). Tell them you have the equipment to take it on immediately and see what they say.

Please keep us up to date with anything you hear.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  09:58:51  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Oh My gosh i don't belive this , The trap i set up had a weaner rat in it and this morning at 8am i checked on it and it has gone i mean the rat has gone and there is no snake inside the trap , we have a smart snake here.

Dont know if to put another rat in the trap again as it has already had one or do i leave it for 3 days or so ??

0.0.0 Royal Python Het Pied 100% CB10 - Chaos
1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB10 - Bow/Mayhem
0.1.0 Cornsnake Amel Het Motley CB10 - Fire
1.0.0 Cornsnake Caramel Het Motley CB09 - Whisky
1.0.0 Cornsnake Snow Het Stripe CB07 - Romeo - R.I.P

1.0.0 Super Golden Labrador Dog CB02 - Bailey

Wish List:
1.2.0 Royal Python - Pastel , Pinstripe , Lesser.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

480 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  10:27:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You sure it was a snake that got the rat? could anything else have gotten in there instead?

1.0.0 Amel, Steve

WISH LIST: blue tongue skink.
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  11:03:49  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Maybe when you next leave one you could dust the floor in front of the trap with flour, that way you will see the tracks and know if its a snake or another creature taking it

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  11:14:53  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

Maybe when you next leave one you could dust the floor in front of the trap with flour, that way you will see the tracks and know if its a snake or another creature taking it

I did do that i used tuc powder and it was defo a snake could see wavey through the powder this is a smarty snake

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

876 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  11:40:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hiper2009

quote:

I did do that i used tuc powder and it was defo a snake could see wavey through the powder this is a smarty snake

HAHA!

Perhaps thats why he has been on the run for so long!!
:)
xXx

Slinky-Tallulah-Fairy-Bell

"My Heart has joined The Thousand for my friend stopped running today"
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  13:03:41  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh My gosh i don't belive this , The trap i set up had a weaner rat in it and this morning at 8am i checked on it and it has gone i mean the rat has gone and there is no snake inside the trap , we have a smart snake here.

Dont know if to put another rat in the trap again as it has already had one or do i leave it for 3 days or so ??

I'd leave it for a couple of days, it is likely that he has found somewhere nice and warm and settled down to digest his meal.

You could also look for places with warmtha nd cover around where the trap was.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  14:27:54  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Was it the trap you had put in your garden Hiper as I know you were making one to put a couple of streets away. If it is the one in your garden I hope it stays close. How about setting up a nesting box as well as the trap box with some aspen and a hide and heat pad in. Hopefully snakie will find that after his next feed and you can capture him.
Or any chance of a camera being set up near the trap so you can hopefully find out what the snake definitely is if he manages to evade you again.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  15:15:08  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
OMG SO CUTE If I live there I hope it would visit me

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2010 :  15:41:57  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Was it the trap you had put in your garden Hiper as I know you were making one to put a couple of streets away. If it is the one in your garden I hope it stays close. How about setting up a nesting box as well as the trap box with some aspen and a hide and heat pad in. Hopefully snakie will find that after his next feed and you can capture him.
Or any chance of a camera being set up near the trap so you can hopefully find out what the snake definitely is if he manages to evade you again.

The trap was set up 1 street away from me i had asked some indian ppl if i could use there garden as a trap but they was scared so i knocked on a door with english ppl and they was happy for me to do that, and thats where i checked on today to find the rat had gone from bait , i have a trap made in my garden as well with bark substrate and romeo has kindly donated one of his old hides to the trap.

From the descriptions i've had so far it sounds like its a Great plains rat snake most the people said its a grey but when in dark looks black they also say it looks abit like my cornsnakes head so which also points out it could be a RatSnake as ratsnakes are like cousins to cornsnakes.

Just hope to catch this snake before some muggs end up killing the poor thing , but its prooving to be a hard task to catch it as it seems to be smart, i have no idea how it has survived these's past couple of days as the weather has been like 7*C degrees and with lots of rain !!.

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2010 :  15:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ratsnakes and even mbk's will survive in the uk, there is apparently a colony of sorts living wild in essex somehwere! If its a great plains or an mbk, it will feed again as soon as it can, they have a hell of an appetite! How did you set the trap? What did you use? A good size grass snake will take a small weaner rat no problem too. If you are using a bottle, use a food item that won't fit through the neck, he won't get out again then. Don't worry about it starving, its more than capable of finding its own food.

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2010 :  19:45:16  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

Ratsnakes and even mbk's will survive in the uk, there is apparently a colony of sorts living wild in essex somehwere! If its a great plains or an mbk, it will feed again as soon as it can, they have a hell of an appetite! How did you set the trap? What did you use? A good size grass snake will take a small weaner rat no problem too. If you are using a bottle, use a food item that won't fit through the neck, he won't get out again then. Don't worry about it starving, its more than capable of finding its own food.

I used a 3ltr cola bottle but i had chopped the tip at the end off due to it being a 6ft snake i thought it would not fit in it but by doing this i did not relise it will get out after it eats the rat, i had put the bottle in a box covered with a black bin bag so its water proofe and in the box it i put orchid bark which has been dried out. and on the entrance to the box there is flour down.

I have set up a new bottle but this time i have not chopped the lid bit off, and i have put a ex large mouse in it. Now its just a waiting game for it to get trapped and stuck in the bottle, i just fear being bit by this thing as it probly have some kind of rabies + mites lol

Wish List:

Edited by - hiper2009 on 22/03/2010 19:45:33
Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2010 :  19:52:20  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
i just fear being bit by this thing as it probly have some kind of rabies + mites lol

Can snakes get rabies? lol

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2010 :  20:03:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i dont think they can get rabies, if they could then they would have to be quarantined for 6 months like mammals do.
i doubt it has mites, they are not native to this country, and is a little cold for them to survive properly.
If you get tagged you get tagged, its gonna tingle a bit, a lot if its 6 foot, which i doubt, media always doubles or trebles any presumed dangerous animals sizes.
If its a 6 ft MBK, then it will get a medium rat down without too much hassle, so put in something that the food cant fit out of, then the snake wont get back out again. If you can provide somewhere warm and safe, then the chances are the snake will stay there to digest the meal anyway.
a coke bottle wont cut it for a 6 footer, you need something substantial, but i am out of ideas at the moment.
You might find that without the top chopped off its too tight for a big snake, but give it a go as it might not be 6 foot or even close!

good luck

Note: MBK's are very very food orientated, so gloves might be an option if you are worried about a tag. My 4 foot MBK ate 4 large mice and 2 fluffs once, she stopped asking for more after that.

Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2010 :  20:13:15  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

i dont think they can get rabies, if they could then they would have to be quarantined for 6 months like mammals do.
i doubt it has mites, they are not native to this country, and is a little cold for them to survive properly.
If you get tagged you get tagged, its gonna tingle a bit, a lot if its 6 foot, which i doubt, media always doubles or trebles any presumed dangerous animals sizes.
If its a 6 ft MBK, then it will get a medium rat down without too much hassle, so put in something that the food cant fit out of, then the snake wont get back out again. If you can provide somewhere warm and safe, then the chances are the snake will stay there to digest the meal anyway.
a coke bottle wont cut it for a 6 footer, you need something substantial, but i am out of ideas at the moment.
You might find that without the top chopped off its too tight for a big snake, but give it a go as it might not be 6 foot or even close!

good luck

Note: MBK's are very very food orientated, so gloves might be an option if you are worried about a tag. My 4 foot MBK ate 4 large mice and 2 fluffs once, she stopped asking for more after that.

Thanks for the help ill leave the ex large mouse in there for tonight and then add a weaner rat tomorrow but hopefuly it won't come to that stage i hope i catch it. I hope its a tame snakey.

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2010 :  16:50:14  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Any news Hiper?

0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  13:28:19  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Any news Hiper?

The snake has not come back for the bait so i fear the worst has happend to it unless its digesting its meal some where warm

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page

Lilpunk
Yearling

512 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2010 :  18:02:07  Show Profile  Click to see Lilpunk's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That's one of the stupidest articles I've ever read! Sure, warn people but seriously?! "I'm keeping the wife and kids indoors and not going to work"! Ugh, need some drama?

0.0.1 Carolina corn - (renamed) Lumos.
2.0.0 Shetlands - Winston & Rupert.
1.3.0 Guinea pigs - Coffee, Nutkin, Rosemary & Thyme.
0.1.0 Yorkshire Terrier - Poppy.
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
2197 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2010 :  11:10:13  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilpunk

That's one of the stupidest articles I've ever read! Sure, warn people but seriously?! "I'm keeping the wife and kids indoors and not going to work"! Ugh, need some drama?

Its perthetic what people think.

No news on the MBK yet,

Wish List:
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000