Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kare
Egg

86 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  08:03:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards in "Quick question" thread

He shouldn't lose that much weight when feeding, just not grow so much.

Sorry if this has been asked before but I did a search for minimising growth and restricting feeding and didnt find anything.

Mike saying this reminded me of something I was told in a pet store a while back, that they were restricting the snakes growth by feeding it smaller mice so it didnt out grow the container it was in before being sold.

Is this a common practice? Is it safe for the snake? What if any would be the long term effects from this? Would it catch up when fed properly, just always be smaller, or would this have effects the health and survivability of the snake for the rest of its life?

Jo-And-Danny
Hatchling

United Kingdom
310 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  08:54:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think pretty much all pet shops do that to save on money and space if they have a lot of snakes in. I dont think it causes too much problems, as snakes can go a fairly long time without eating anything at all.

We got 2 of our snakes as hatchlings so were pretty small but have nicely increased in length and weight

~The Zoo~
Freddie // Ghost corn
Brittany // Collie cross dog
Billie // BSH Cat
Millie // BSH Cat
Some Tropical Fishiesss

Wish List......
Another doggy
Royal Python (norm or pastel)
More Fishiesss!!
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  10:24:43  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's also known as a maintenance diet.
Basically enough to keep them going and not starve them, but not to much that it costs them half their stock of frozen foods and they then wont grow very quickly either.

Nothing really bad about, it's the sort of thing that if a hatchie is on 2 pinks a week, they'll have it on one.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  14:30:26  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the short term it might not be too bad, although I would think that a snake kept on a maintenance diet for a long time (I'm talking years) would probably not grow to be a large specimen.

I don't think it's health would be affected too much as they are designed to handle periods of sp**** food as they are opportunist feeders.

I think over-feeding has much more of a detrimental effect than under-feeding, as obesity can shorten the life of a snake and make them more susceptable to health problems.

Go to Top of Page

Kare
Egg

86 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  15:58:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella
I think over-feeding has much more of a detrimental effect than under-feeding, as obesity can shorten the life of a snake and make them more susceptable to health problems.

This I believe is the case for just about every species, including humans.

Having worked with dogs for many years it always amazes me that people seem to accept obesity in not only their own dogs but in other peoples. If you saw a neighbour with a very skinny dog many would be likely to consider reporting them to someone, however the obesity, which is far more dangerous to the animals health is pretty much always ignored. I have refused to walk with a friend of a friend due to his refusal to take vet advice and stop his obese dog with limb problems gaining more weight, or to even at least stop serving his dog lamb cooked in butter!!

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  20:40:04  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kare

quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

This I believe is the case for just about every species, including humans.

Having worked with dogs for many years it always amazes me that people seem to accept obesity in not only their own dogs but in other peoples. If you saw a neighbour with a very skinny dog many would be likely to consider reporting them to someone, however the obesity, which is far more dangerous to the animals health is pretty much always ignored. I have refused to walk with a friend of a friend due to his refusal to take vet advice and stop his obese dog with limb problems gaining more weight, or to even at least stop serving his dog lamb cooked in butter!!

I think it depends on the extent of the malnourishment or Obesity to be honest.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Kare
Egg

86 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  21:58:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DannyBrown91
I think it depends on the extent of the malnourishment or Obesity to be honest.

I have re read this a few times, as Im sure I am missing your point, however answering it on the simplistic level I keep reading it on. No, malnourishment is not equal in effects in equal amounts of obesity. Being say a normal adult of 65kg being 10 kg overweight will cause far more health issues than being 10kg underweight...being 20kg underweight will cause less health issues than being 10kg overweight.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2010 :  22:56:56  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You say that Obesity is more dangerous than being under weight, but that isn't strictly true, it depends on the extent of the obesity or malnourishment.

Being a bit overweight gives more problems than being just underweight but in extreme cases extreme obesity gives a lot of long term health issues and will shorten your life span but extreme malnourishment gives more immediate health issues and will in most cases kill you quicker.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000