Very active, which is odd for him
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

59 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  02:19:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My snake has been v v v v active lately and not been eating at all, must be 8 weeks without a feed. Also I've noticed he's been rubbing the glass a lot, is this normal. I've seen a few post about there mating season is that wats the matter? Just I'm used to him sleeping all day lol

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  05:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It definitely sounds as though this could be what is happening with your snake. I can only speak from my experience though, as I am no expert. When I first got Kellog (aged approx 4.5yrs) he refused his 1st feed with me and then decided to fast for the next 13 weeks. He was constantly trying to escape the viv, rubbing against the glass, trying to squeeze between the gap in the doors which was totally impossible.

Being a new owner I had no idea what was going on...and that is when I found the forum. They kept me sane while I drove them mad! They explained that he was horny and that I just needed to continue his feeding schedule as normal - despite your normal reaction being to offer them food more regularly to try and get them to eat. So every 5 days I would dangle a mouse, be totally ignored, leave it in the viv overnight and then throw it away the next morning!! There were a lot of mice binned in those 13 weeks and you can imagine my shock when one morning he just struck and ate!

Firstly you need to make sure that everything is ok with your set-up, mainly your temps. You need to be sure that his behaviour is down to this natural reason rather than any other.

Secondly you need to weigh him regularly. I am not sure if you already do this, but if not then start. That way you can see if he is losing a lot of weight (which would mean that it is not a 'natural' fast) or whether he is generally maintaining his weight (which would mean that it is a 'natural' fast). Despite not eating for 13 weeks Kellog only lost 50g (going from memory) which, for a snake his age and size, was not a lot at all.

Checkout the sticky on non-feeding snakes as well, it will give you some ideas on how to encourage your snake to feed...like braining the mouse and heating it etc.

Hope this has been of some help.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

59 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  16:54:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey that sounds exactly like what my snake I doing, not so worried now! I'll just keep feeding him and see what happens!
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy
Hatchling

United Kingdom
418 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2010 :  03:21:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This situation is where having two adults come in handy, Tango will eat without a problem but Sid is very hormonal.
I attempt to feed Sid first if he refuses then I give the mouse to Tango, he eats it no waste.
Last year I did worry a bit until Sid began eating, that was the reason I started breeding mice, so the scent got his juices working and it saved money when he did not eat.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000