New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  17:13:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, how do I go about reporting a pet store who isn't keeping their snakes properly?

I went into my uni local today for a nosy (I dont buy from there, spaghetti's refused every mouse from there and it looks a bit skanky in general)

however I saw 2 snakes housed together, 1 3ft corn snake and a rat snake about half the corns size. The rat snake was clearly agitated and cowering under a bark hide in the centre of the viv.

I went back a little later to take some photos to find the bark was now on it's side (not sure if the snakes did it or if the petstore moved it to stop the rat snake hiding) Both the snakes were looking a bit agitated. I also noticed there were no other hides and there was sticky tape haging from the top of the viv.

what do I do?

zan x

n/a
deleted

286 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  17:19:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
start with the number of the rspca in the yellow pages or google

corns
0.1 Maizy, carolina 05
0.1 violet, anery 09
1.0 Smithy, amel 07
0.1 Nessa,amel 07
0.1 Lois normal/hypo motley 02
1.0 Dr Heinz Doofenshmirtz anery 00
1.0 Fry normal 08
0.1 Dora amel aztec 09
1.0 Red bloodred 08
0.0.1 Conker kastanie 10
house bunny
1.0 rex, 09
kittys
2.1 tom,jerry 09 Mittens 10
kids
3.1 Charlie-jane 98, ethan 99,coby 06,adam 07
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

286 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  17:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kellog

Unfortunately, as a number of our forum members will tell you, just reporting them often does nothing. The RSPCA has enough on their plates and find it hard to make a case (unbelievably!!). What is needed is as many of your reptile friends going in and then reporting the shop independently from you - the more the shop is reported by people who have knowledge of reptile keeping the more chance of something being done. Also any pics that can be taken help (obviously without anyone noticing) and notes made immediately after the visit.

Your only other option is going to the paper.

These links are also along the same line as yours - http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7996&SearchTerms=SSPCA
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8405&SearchTerms=RSPCA

And keep ranting!!! These pet shops deserve it!!

xxx

copied from another thread :)

corns
0.1 Maizy, carolina 05
0.1 violet, anery 09
1.0 Smithy, amel 07
0.1 Nessa,amel 07
0.1 Lois normal/hypo motley 02
1.0 Dr Heinz Doofenshmirtz anery 00
1.0 Fry normal 08
0.1 Dora amel aztec 09
1.0 Red bloodred 08
0.0.1 Conker kastanie 10
house bunny
1.0 rex, 09
kittys
2.1 tom,jerry 09 Mittens 10
kids
3.1 Charlie-jane 98, ethan 99,coby 06,adam 07
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  18:17:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If possible speak to the manager of the shop before jumping in and reporting them, it doesn't sound ideal but if the snakes looked healthy and had fresh water then it could be alot worse.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Corn Snake Admin

United Kingdom
3093 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  18:55:13  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would email the shop if you daren't challenge them in person.

Sometimes the shops may just not know that they are doing things wrong (still no excuse because they should research any pets they get in), but may be open to some informed advice.

If you have no response via email or you return a few weeks later and things are no better then you can try the RSPCA or the council, although I know they are sometimes a bit useless at things like this.

The other thing to do is not not buy anything from them again! If they don't keep their reps right, good customers will notice and they will lose trade. Hopefully this would mean they'd go out of business in the end.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000