New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

izzy
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  13:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone its me again, Izzy has now decided she is going to shed, her eyes have gone cloudy, not very active, what have I got to look out for, do I feed her Sunday or not. HELP

Edited by - HannahB on 25/02/2010 15:02:14

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  15:04:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can offer her food but she probably wont take it
her eyes will be cloudy for a day or two, then they will clear up and she will then shed usually within a week..

also if you use the search button and put in shedding or shed then you will get some more info

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  16:14:25  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

you can offer her food but she probably wont take it
her eyes will be cloudy for a day or two, then they will clear up and she will then shed usually within a week..

also if you use the search button and put in shedding or shed then you will get some more info

Casper shed this week and her eyes were cloudy for around 4 days. All in all i think it took her about 8 days from going into blue to her eyes clearing and her eventually shedding.

I didnt offer any food when she was in blue, i just let her hide away checking on here a couple of times a day then when her eyes cleared she has her meal.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
686 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  16:28:46  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When I had Matilda she would eat whether she was in blue or not. The only difference was that she would only drop feed when shedding. I would put her food outside the entrance of the hide she's in then if she wants it then it's there. If it is still there in the morning then take it out and bin it.

Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  02:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a lot of info on shedding here, but I must admit it is a lot to trawl through to get a simple answer !

I must admit that I dont feed either of my snakes between them going blue and them shedding...I then offer them food as soon as they have shed. When they are blue they are virtually blind and even for the few days between their eyes going clear and them shedding their vision is still compromised, so my personal attitude is that I want to avoid as little stress for them as possible at that time...so no handling and no offering of food that they will be able to smell but might not be able to see well enough to strike properly. To miss a feed for a few days doesnt do them any harm at all. I also cant help but compare it to eating a 5 course meal in my tightest jeans , not something I would want to do - but corns are opportunistic feeders so often will take the food even if it makes them feel stressed or uncomfortable. Again - I will stress that this is only my personal opinion!

As this is Izzy's first shed with you there is not a lot you need to do...the most is to add an extra water bowl in the warm end to increase the humidity slightly. After this shed you will be able to see what sort of shedder she is and whether she will need more help next time (as in a moss hide or misting the viv etc).

When she does shed you need to check it straight away to make sure that the tail tip and the eye caps are there. Retained shed in these places is dangerous, and obviously you want to remove any other retained shed on the rest of her body. If that happens then let us know and we can tell you what to do to help.

Am sure it will all go ok - you now just have to wait out the blue phase, the clear phase and then hope you get to see her shed!! Lookout for her rubbing her nose and jaw against the side of her cave, branches etc....that is the beginning of it. Unfortunately snakes are sly and always seem to choose the moment you leave the room to do it and when they start it happens fast!!

Keep us informed!

xxx

Go to Top of Page

Fernando Pierre
Hatchling

South Africa
224 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  19:50:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
her eyes will go clear and then its about 1-3 days later she/he will shed

1.0.0 Snow Corn- Diablo
1.0.0 Ball Python
1.0.0 Tri-coloured honduran - Feta (R.I.P. my love!!!You will never be forgoten!)

Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  21:11:57  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
their eyes go cloudy, clear within a day or two then they usually shed within a week (to be more accurate)

from the start of the process till the snake actually sheds it's known as being 'in blue' or 'in the blue' as their eyes and generally colouring take a bluey-grey tinge. during this process their vision is impaired so handling is best kept to a bare minimum until the snake has actually shed.
whether you feed or not is down to you, and ultimately down to the snake whether it takes a feed or not, but corns being generally greedy often will take a feed if it's offered.

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000