how many do you feed your snake?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  16:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, ive been told by meny people, that every shed they have ill give you an example:
1st shread = 1 fluff
2nd fluff = 2 fluffs
3rd fludd = 3 fluss
if they can eat 4 with out a problem then put them up a stage...

is this right... as every shed mine have i dont put the food up... im so confused now..

whats your thoughts on this?

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  16:30:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm afraid your post doesn't make much sense- maybe if you try and re-phrase it you will get more replies

Also if you tell us how old and big your corn is we can give you more of an idea about feeding- here is a VERY rough feed guide-
-Single pinks (2-3g) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 4-15g)
-Double pinks (3g x 2) every 5-6 days. (Snake = 16-23g)
-Small fuzzies (5-7g) every 6-7 days. (Snake = 24-30g)
-Regular fuzzies (7-9g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
-Hoppers (9-12g) every 6-7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
-Weaned (14-20g) every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)
-Adult (20-30g) every 7-x days (Snake = 170+)

Hopefully this will help you.

4 prey items at a time is far too much, 3 isn't ideal but is acceptable, 2 is fine.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/

Edited by - SexyBear77 on 22/02/2010 16:39:40
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  16:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my male is just over 2ft, i have not weighed him yet, i give him 1 fluff, and ive been told it is not enough.
i would say hes coming up to 2.5' in length, hes quite thick lol, alot thicker than my other one.
should i keep him on one?

when i get home tommorrow ill weight him and see how much he weighes.
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  16:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
at 2 and a half foot small or medium mice should be fine.

Pics would help if you can?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  17:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

not the best one.
so you think small mouse will be ok?
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  05:25:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest Jon, weight would be the most helpful indicator as it is hard to tell from the pic....but maybe those more experienced can give you a better idea.

xxx

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  08:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I kinda understand your first post, and whoever told you that has no idea what they are talking about.
At 2.5ft, I would imagine you are between 220g and 270g, depending on build. At this size you should be looking at medium mice, just 1 every 7 days, 2 is ok though if a feed is missed. The general rule for feeding is a prey item 1.3 - 1.5 times the girth at the snakes greatest diameter. Doesn't matter how many times it has shed, shed frequency is dependant on speed of growth which is dependant on feeding.

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  10:51:37  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
From the pic he still looks a bit small for a small - medium mouse although you can't truly tell. But 1 fluff probably isnt enough. Does it still leave a desent sized lump after eating it?

But whatever you do don't go by the guide you have posted. When i first got my snake i used the guide which SB posted but it is only a guide and you will know what your snake can and cant handle.

For instance casper weighs 19grams at last feed and currently has 2 2g pinkies, on the guide she should be having slightly more.

Reggie weighs 26g and has 2g + 3g pinkies but according to the guide he should be on more, although i will be moving him up next feed.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  15:02:54  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
upping food size/amounts after each and every shed would soon very quickly mean you'd be overfeeding your corn

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  16:11:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You would be over feeding on the 3rd shed, which with that amount of food would come by in about 8-10 weeks, you would probably also find the snake is not big enough to cope with the larger food anyways, and you would end up with a fat snake.

Go to Top of Page

Taz Devil
Hatchling

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  17:20:43  Show Profile  Visit Taz Devil's Homepage  Click to see Taz Devil's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I've always gone by the size of the snakes middle. 1.5 times the widest part of your snake. Sids currently on Medium Mice which leave a slight bulge in her belly after eating.

She just gets a little fussy after her sheds. She shed 3 weeks ago and has yet to eat.

0.1.0 Corn Snake (Sid)

Sids Live WebCam
http://snakecam.tazworld.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

18 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2010 :  11:16:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi ive weighed them, and my male weighs, 85G's... my female weighs 40G's....
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  04:46:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trapidz

hi ive weighed them, and my male weighs, 85G's... my female weighs 40G's....

This is the relevant part of the ROUGH feeding guide I use with my snakes (and I do stress that it is a rough guide)

Fuzzy (7-9g) – feed every 6 to 7 days (Snake = 30-50g)
Fluff/Hoppers: 2 to 3 weeks old (7-12g) - feed every 6 to 7 days (Snake = 51-90g)
Small Adult/Weaned: 3 to 4 weeks old (13-18g) - feed every 7 days (Snake = 91-170g)

Going by this your male is on a fluff every week (you didnt say how often you feed him), but I think SB is right when she says that he could probably do with being moved up to the small mice once a week. What is important is that the maximum size for the mouse is 1.5 times the width of the snake - no bigger (as Mike and Taz Devil has said).

You didnt say what your female was feeding on...but going by her weight she should be able to handle fuzzies and move up to fluffs soon.

(Please correct me if I am wrong as I know that it is different for each snake and each owner, so more experience keepers would have better advice).

xxx

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2010 :  09:54:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seeing as 4 food items is too much, you don't wanna know what my boa ate on a cleaning up session!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000