Wow, mites D:
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  18:49:24  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have a real problem with creepy crawly things. Usually I scream and run very very fast the other way lol. Maybe the hormones have made me braver, but they still making my skin crawl.

Anyway I have no idea how they got them, I'm guessing They've had them since I've bought them. But I found mites on Mouse last night, didn't get a proper look at normal because he/she has started striking at me whenever I try to pick her up Hit me last night. As far as I can tell Ginger hasn't got any but because they're in the same room and i didn't know they had mites till mouse got some visible ones.

I heard to take precautions incase there mites in the bedding to freeze or heat it. So i guess next bag of aspen I buy will be spending the night in the freezer.

Well because I'm assuming Normals bad mood is because of the mites irriteting her, I decided it would be best not to wait till Tuesday when I get paid to get something to kill off the mites. I gave both Mouse and Normal a oil bath and gave their vivs a wash down while they were having their soak. Put in some news paper as I dont have any kitchen roll and lots of cardboard hides so they can be disposed of when I get some new aspen and mite killer. I hope Normals mood improves she's handled regulary, shes always been a bit skittish but shes never struck me before.

I'm hoping for now the oil soak will give them some relief. I feel really bad for them they look terrably unhappy with it all. Dunno what else I can do for them though poor lil things.

Mouse is his usual dosile self but you can see they're irritating him, hes been spending a lot of time in the water trying to drown them, hes the one you can see them all over cause hes white. I think if he hadn't have been I may have never noticed which makes me feel even more guilty.

1.0.0 Snow Motley Corn Snake. (Mouse)
1.0.0 Amel Corn Snake. (Ginger)
0.2.0 Chinese Crested Dogs. (Skeebee & Yuki)
0.1.0 Bullmastiff x American Bulldog (Tsukira)
1.1.0 Ferrets. (Spike & Buffy)
0.2.0 Aylesbury Ducks. (Crispy & Nibbles)

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  19:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You got any frontline hanging around the house?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  20:03:29  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Nope used last of it on the ferrets couple months back. Everyones due their next flea treatment so I need to get some more anyway. It's on my shopping list for tuesday, got mum picking me up as soon as she cant lol If i could i'd be out shopping midnight when the money goes through.

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  20:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats great then, Frontline works a treat.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Twi
Yearling

United Kingdom
536 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  20:37:42  Show Profile  Click to see Twi's MSN Messenger address  Send Twi a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone know if platic plants are dishwasher safe? lol Sorely tempted to try it cause that will steralize them but don't want to break dishwasher with broken plastic plants.

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  21:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with regards to the bedding being treated..best thing is to put it in the oven at a high temp (cant remember whats usually suggested..) and then leave it to cool down before using.. bugs and stuff can still survive being frozen
hope the frontline works for you though

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

DannyBrown91
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3070 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  22:38:21  Show Profile  Click to see DannyBrown91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I doubt there will be mites in new bags of aspen.

0.0.1 Ghost Corn - Casper
0.0.1 Diffused Corn - Reggie
0.0.1 Amel Corn - Candy A.K.A Baby
1.0 Commom BCI - Rocky

0.1 Japanese Akita - Sasha

Go to Top of Page

Nazzle
Hatchling

United Kingdom
138 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  22:53:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found mites in a new bag of beech chippings from a very well thought of, clean pet shop. I now heat-treat EVERYTHING that goes in with any of my animals by heating before putting into the freezer to store it (who needs frozen food anyway, I've got the fridge the animals have the freezer!. I'd personally bin all of the cage decor and start from fresh as they can be persistant...

Go to Top of Page

KITTYCAT
Hatchling

United Kingdom
492 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2010 :  12:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I microwave my aspen before using it as due to the size of the bag of aspen it is kept in the hut i havent had any probs so far (fingers crossed)

1.0.0 carolina corn (herbie)
0.1.0 snow corn (casper)
0.0.1 anery motley corn(diesel)
0.0.1 calafornia banded king snake (ozzy)
0.1.0 royal python (pandora)
0.0.1 boa constrictor (bullet)
1.0.0 weinmaraner (zac)
1.0.0 staffy (zeus)
1.1.0 cats (sophie n pepe)
0.0.1 fish (fish)

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  09:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snake mites in bedding is very rare, other mites yes, but not snake mites.
If you have 2 snakes in the same room, treat them both, mites can and will travel a long way in a day, their life cycle is nearly 2 months, so they can produce vast amounts of offspring in that time. The big black ones you can see are females, the smaller clear/tan ones are males and don't feed.
Personally I don't use an oil bath, I use fairy liquid in water, the fairy destroys the surface tension of the water and that's what drowns the mites, cos they can't create an air bubble around themselves, in oil they can, so until that air runs out they survive. If you use frontline, I strongly suggest you don't use it on the snake, only the viv, it also stays active for 3 months, so any survivors will die when they leave the snake, which they will do, generally to search for other foods, or to lay their eggs. On occasion they will lay eggs on the snake, usually under the vent scale, a water/fairy bath will sort these. When you do frontline, take everything out of the viv, make sure you get in all the cracks and joins everywhere where the mites could go. Put the snake on kitchen roll for a while with just a hide and water bowl until you are certain there are no more mites.
I think you will also find that snake mites have a limited tolerance for cold temps, I would have to research that though.

I have just found a good info page on mites, www.vpi.com there is a page about mites on there, some people on here may have heard of david and tracy barker, very well respected and informed breeders, the vpi line of royals is very good!
My info was slightly off, but not by much! Have a read.
Freezing mites for a period of a couple of days does kill them, so does lower than 20% humidity.

I have mites also at the minute, its been a long struggle, which I thought I had won, basically, everything treated as above are all clear, despite there being mites in the room. It does work.
The reason I say don't use frontline on the snake is because I know of at least 2 snakes that have died because of it, that was diluted as well, so be very careful with it! Infact, take both snakes out of the room, as the vapours are very damaging also.

Edited by - mikerichards on 23/02/2010 09:26:47
Go to Top of Page

Kellog
the nice one

United Kingdom
7308 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2010 :  10:51:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
(sorry Twi, didnt realise you had done a topic on the mites, so replied in the wrong place!!....at least I have given you some info though that might help!!0

xxx

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000