Niggly Q's:D
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Azzheasman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
193 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  18:16:38  Show Profile  Click to see Azzheasman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hey guys im new here been lurking for a few days whilst was quiet at work (if any of you work for virgn i mean i was working really hard all day at work :p) ive had my snakes for a while now, 2 girls and boy they live in a big viv in one of my spare rooms (5'x 2'x 2') i think they are getting ready to breed the girls both shed at exactly the same time and the boy is on his way now they havent eaten for a week or so the boys on a diet cuz apparently hes fat (ill upload pics when hes not in shed) BUT i have a few niggly noob type questions to ask

1) what kind of snakes do i have? ive done some research and i think (in order of photos i have) an Albino Okeetee a Snow and a Hypo(austin, milky and jay)

2) if they do breed what will i get?
3) can two breeding females live in the same viv (different nest boxes obviously lol) they wont give off pharamones that will put the other off or anything
4) how do i tell if they have boinked the girls are shyer then normal but dont look gravid or swollen?

seen some really helpfull guru types on here and chose long and hard on which forums to go on so please be nice x

ps srry for the feeding pics havnt got a camera yet only had my iphone on me was from their first feed also not recent (well a few months back)

Azz

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  18:29:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey there-

I would say you have a snow and 2 amels but from the pics I could be wrong.

I am poop at genetics and breeding so I don't want to hazard a guess for what you will get... oh go on then- normals het for amel/snow?

I would definitely separate all 3 snakes, for safety's sake. The girlies (if they are gravid) will get quite stressed and anxious when they get close to laying, and the male will stress them by continually pestering for nookie I don't recommend co-habiting opposite sexes permanently any way as the strain on the female can lead to illness or early death.

If you haven't actually seen the snakes mating then it will just be a waiting game. The females should undergo a pre lay shed and then eggs will appear within 2 weeks. The abdomen should look a little swollen from around a third down the body to just before the vent, and in the advanced stages you should even be able to feel the eggs.

Just put of of interest, how big and old are your snakes, especially the girls?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

Azzheasman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
193 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  18:37:08  Show Profile  Click to see Azzheasman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the guy i got them off said that they had always lived happily together thats why ive left them together they have ample space and enough hides but will deffo seperate them while the breed. austin is probably 5 feet and very thick at the thickest probably 3 inches (hes on a diet) (im not milky is also about 5 feet and i have been told she is perfect so im modeling austin on her lol (i get different snakes will be differnt but hes a porker lol) and jay at least 3 and a half feet but quite petit, saying that shes not out of proportion, they are all adults i wouldnt risk the smallest girl in there normally but the last guy had them all for years togther without incident (they are all fed outside the viv in rubs seperately) he had to get rid of them as him and his partner divorced so i offered them a good home :)

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  18:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sizes sound fine for breeding then.

With regards to the co-habiting have a read of this- http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070
I know you say they have been in together for a long time, but snakes are notoriously hard to spot signs of stress in. In the very least I would removed the male, if the females seem ok in together then leave them, just monitor them very closely.

If you dont want to split them up permanently (which I hope you will consider) don't put the male back in with the females until they are completely recovered from laying, as it takes a huge amount out of them, and laying 2 clutches in a year can be seriously bad news if your snakes aren't back to their best.

Only thing that concerns me is the size difference between the big and the little girl, a foot and a half and a not inconsiderable weight difference isn't ideal. Smaller snakes are often the victims of dominance.

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Edited by - SexyBear77 on 21/02/2010 18:45:01
Go to Top of Page

Azzheasman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
193 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  20:03:52  Show Profile  Click to see Azzheasman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as soon as i can i plan on splitting my big viv and adding two extra vivs on ontop (a spare in case i decide to expand) but we will be moving within the next 6 months so it seems fairly pointless to undertake the operation untill then :) thank you ever so much for your advice i look forward to becoming a regular around here :)

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  20:24:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So are you going to split them at all?

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

Azzheasman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
193 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  20:31:11  Show Profile  Click to see Azzheasman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
deffinately whilst its breeding time austin will have to put up with a rub for now and ill put a divider in the viv for the girls :)

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  20:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol poor Austin, just when he was having a nice time

Def for the best though, make sure and keep us posted about your girlies!!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Go to Top of Page

Azzheasman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
193 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  20:34:59  Show Profile  Click to see Azzheasman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol tbh he never seemed that interested in the girls he seems to be repeled by them, can snakes be gay lol

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  21:09:18  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azzheasman

lol tbh he never seemed that interested in the girls he seems to be repeled by them, can snakes be gay lol

i thought that about one of my boys after 3 years of no interest, but last year he finally did the business :)

I agree with SB77 that you have two amels and a snow, and i'm guessing Austin is the amel boy? if so, the breedings will produce:
amel x amel = 100% amel
amel x snow = 100% amel het anery

good luck, and i hope you like orange snakes! :D

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Azzheasman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
193 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  21:38:42  Show Profile  Click to see Azzheasman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yea could be he just has stage fright lol

Go to Top of Page

Azzheasman
Hatchling

United Kingdom
193 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  22:42:06  Show Profile  Click to see Azzheasman's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yea orange snakes are cool lol might look in getting a male snow as I really like the snows and a White clutch could be nice prehaps a little later on tho lol, Austin isn't that orange mind there's a red light in the tank that makes him look like that he's quite sandy and light brown in colour dunno if that changes anything tho :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000